When did you realize you were a foodie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll tell you this much: they have a tendency to be a wee bit more selective.

To wit: The possum thread.

When I got out of my peanut butter, grilled cheese, tuna fish, tomato/chicken soup years, I realized I was a "foodie." When my dad started making a lot of stuff on the grill.. I got turned onto a lot of things with onion, mushrooms, and peppers... it just grew from there.

Audeo said:
I'll tell you this much: they have a tendency to be a wee bit more selective.

To wit: The possum thread.

on the contrary:
chicken fried steak... hmmm
why not just have fried chicken? or a nice steak, for that matter?
hmmm...

Can't say I'm gonna try possum anytime real soon, but I will always eat a good chicken fried steak! Sausage gravy and biscuits with that, please.

seriously, if someone tried to offer me possum, i'd scream and maybe smack them around a little.
that is just disgusting. that is absolutely disgusting.

i wish everyone would get it right. it's Opossum, not possum. the only irish/north american marsupial. ;)

Dear Buckytom,

That's not what my copy of the world-reknowned cookbook entitled "Cookin' Yankees Ain't Et" says....

Also, in Australia, Trichosurus vulpecula is the common brushtail possum (no O there) and is a relatively endangered species, therefore illegal as a hunted or trapped critter. In New Zealand, the animal has taken over the entire island, and is responsible for millions of annual dollars in tree and crop loss.

I'm certain our pal Broosky can offer enlightenment.

PS: Love the ever-changing signatures. Met Janis once, well, sort of. She fell on me while having a hotdog with my dad in Lancaster, Calif. Knocked me off my chair and passed out right on top of me.

lol, audeo. gotta fetch me a copy of that'un some day.

it really is Opossum in north america though. (reminds me of the joke "what's irish and lives in your backyard? paddy o'furniture...")

you really got passed out on by janis?! how kewl. i've gotten drunk with andy rooney from 60 minutes, but it doesn't compare, lol.

my signatures are whatever song is stuck in my head from that morning's commute to work. was listenin to janis' greatest hits today. it was a toss up between lyrics from bobby magee and cry just a little bit harder. (oh, and it was almost spongebob squarepants too, i went with janis). last coupla days were from the kinks.

Ha! I'd bet you have some stories coming out of the drinking conference with Andy -- I always loved his sarcasm and wit! And your absolutely right (as you know) about Opossum!

True story about Janis. Dad, a USAF CMSgt at Edwards, tossed his cigar aside, ripped her off of me, tossed her into her entourage, and proceeded to chew every one of them up one side and down the other (in the grand style of Sgt. R. Lee Ermey for at least five full minutes) for scratching his precious daughter's face. The manager (I guess) offered Dad two tickets to a concert (in Bakersfield, as I recall), and I remember vividly Dad's laughter. Anyway, he took ten tickets back to the base and handed them out.

I happen to have the 1968 Cheap Thrills album by Big Brother and the Holding Co.

Audeo, I have the same album, but nothing to play it on anymore. I also have Super Session (Stephen Stlls, Al Kooper, and ??) and many more from those days.

:roll:

Alas, no turntable either. The Technics, long dead, sits in the attic carefully boxed (with my husband's own dead one) next to the Radio Shack TRS-80. Oh, but I've got me albums!!! If I get desperate while funding college, I'm sure some of them would bring in a book fee or two...

audeo, what's wrong with the tecnics? is it the stylus? do you know if it's a belt drive type, could just be a broken belt.

Buckytom, I believe it was the board holding the outputs. Spent a bit trying to get it fixed about ten years ago, but they couldn't get parts. Moot point now, since CDs. Although...hmmm...I'd bet I could get the thing fixed well today, or procure a new one off of Ebay. Wonder how my direct-to-disc Tower of Power album would sound through the Lexicon and Martin Logans...??? Hmmmm.....

Hew luvs -- what kind does your Dad have? Can you ship it to me? (He'd never miss it, I'm sure...... :twisted: )

I've been finding some of my old loves out on CD now, with extras even. Recently got "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" that way.

Turntables are still for sale out there. My dad gave me a catalogue for a place that sells all sorts of hi-fi equipment, but I stupidly threw it away in a cleaning frenzy (too many things piled on top of things on top of wooden furniture, which by the way is polished with the orange stuff).

Audeo said:
Buckytom, I believe it was the board holding the outputs. Spent a bit trying to get it fixed about ten years ago, but they couldn't get parts. Moot point now, since CDs. Although...hmmm...I'd bet I could get the thing fixed well today, or procure a new one off of Ebay. Wonder how my direct-to-disc Tower of Power album would sound through the Lexicon and Martin Logans...??? Hmmmm.....

Hew luvs -- what kind does your Dad have? Can you ship it to me? (He'd never miss it, I'm sure...... :twisted: )

Tower of Power is one of my favorite bands!

What is Hip?....tell me tell me if you think you know.....What is hip?...... if your really hip the passing years will show. Love that song!

Back
Top Bottom