"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #71
Sous Chef

I always loved food and being in the kitchen.

As a young kid my mom did NOT cook (she's great now though thank you food network and hungry step dad)... I have possibly the only Italian Grandmother who HATES cooking.... she still hates it at 85!

Fortunatley I was watched during the day by my great aunt who was a great cook. She cooked pretty much Italian-American immigrant fare but everything, even a simple bowl of pasta, was a labor of love and executed perfectly (her father, my great grandfather, was a tailor so this mentality of percision and craft was pervasive... this I did not inherit)

My love of food and cooking I belive comes from this aunt who was the most important person in my early childhood.

I had the opportunity to travel alot in my teens/20s and experienced a great variety of foods this way and I was always eager to try

I started cooking in college when I got my first apartment and it has been an important part of my life ever since.

During the periods in college that I was in the dorms we ate out alot too and I got to experience all sorts of great ethnic foods in the quest for cheap grub.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #72
Cook

When I spent as much dining out as one would on a sports car in the month of Nov. 2007 alone... (which was more than my mortgage payment)

Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #73
Master Chef

when i was seven. i voraciously read cookbooks like novels, i wanted to be in that kitchen, COOKING! and i cooked what a kiddo can cook. now, at 27, my love of food is mature & yet growing.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #74
Senior Cook

I never cared for eating that much until I was in high school and I took a foods class. I learned to appreciate what went into preparing a dish/meal and enjoyed the finished product so much, too much sometimes! From then on I was a foodie!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #75
Sous Chef

Been fun reading this thread. I hated cooking while growing up, this was mainly because, I never had the chance to cook at all, we always had someone to cook and clean for us, then as I became a teenager, I think my mum panicked, so she told me one day to make 'ugali'(stiff porridge made from maize meal)It was a disaster and she told me off. I hated cooking from then on, in-fact when I went to hotel school, I didn't apply to be a course in food production(which thinking back I would have really loved) I still hated cooking, but I learned a lot during my course about food preparation through the recipes we were given that I put to use whenever my friends came over to visit after I graduated. I slowly started experimenting and enjoying the results. After that, whenever there was a get together, I offered to prepare at least the main meal, no-one complained, they were happy to bring a salad or something. I loved every minute of it. So in my case it was a bit later that I realized that I loved cooking, but mainly because I was introduced to cooking under stress!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #76
Sous Chef

Having said all that and reading Luv's posting, I do recall having cookbooks around the age of 8 or so, that I enjoyed reading like novels.