"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
Head Chef

Outside of baking a couple of loaves for us this week (10 other big loaves for family, that I delivered Thursday), I won't do more than chop onions, celery and bell peppers on Wednesday night to prepare for the huge batch of gumbo for Thursday. I might make the deviled eggs Wednesday night too, just depends how I feel. When I make a big traditional dinner, I usually bake my own white, whole wheat and cornbread like Kadesma does; just can't beat the taste and smiles you get for doing it that way!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
.... don't tell any one but I'm really looking forward to not cooking a thing this holiday.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Starting tomorrow I'll do a little each day. Tomorrow is the pie crusts - then park them in the freezer, Monday the cranberry chutney, Tues. final shopping, etc. etc.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Since it's just the two of us this year, I wont be making anything in advance. Anything that needs to be chopped, baked, etc. will be done on T-day while I watch the Macy's parade.

Maybe I missed something pdswife...why arent you cooking this holiday? Oh wait, your probably one of the lucky ones that is traveling to someone elses house !
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso
my one slight regret is that, while i've still got several quarts of mincemeat i put up a couple of years ago, no one else will touch the stuff. since it's hard to justify having 1 pie per person, i usually forgo.

My mom never gets mincemeat pie for the same reason. I'll bet she'd be happy to take some off your hands!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I started a couple of weeks ago when I dried all my bread cubes in my food dehydrator. Last Thursday I braised my turkey necks and made the turkey stock base for my gravy. I also chopped all my stuffing veggies and have them in the freezer.

Today I'm going to make the dough for my potato rolls and make my cranberry chutney. The chutney is always better if it ages for a couple of days. Tomorrow I'll make the base for my pumpkin pie and bake the potato rolls. Tuesday I'll bake my pie shell and finish the pie, then cut up the celery and carrots sticks.

Wednesday I'll make my sweet potato-banana casserole, peel my russets for mashed and make the pineapple-lime-cream cheese molded salad. The only thing left for Thursday will be stuffing and baking the bird. Small one for us this year. Only 15 pounds. Largest one I have ever cooked was 33 pounds, but that was when all 5 of our children were still at home and eating like food vacuums.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes I think half the fun of Thanksgiving is all this make-ahead activity. You know, the journey vs. the destination and all that.

We're going to be freezing at the parade this year (be sure to look for us and wave), so no prep work for me. But my folks will be arriving the day after we get home after visiting sis down in VA Beach for Thanksgiving, so we will cook up a storm then and I can unload some more limoncello on Dad.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

I'll start the day before. On Wedneday, I'll make the pecan pie, the butternut squash dish, the cranberry sauce. I'll also put the turkey into the brine.

Thursday the turkey goes into the oven, I make the pilaf and heat up the squash and make the creamed onions. Then comes the gravy.

I'd like to eat later in the day so there's time for a cocktail before we eat. (Yeah, I know, there's always time for a cocktail, but you know what I mean)
Old 11-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I've got all the stuff downstairs to make the lemon creme mold and start the boston creme pie.....but I cannot seem to motivate myself today!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I start my cooking on Wednesday morning....
and try to have it complete by 2pm...
this year its just me my hubby and kids, so I can linger some what :)