When to grocery shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it depends on each store, ask when their deliverys fall on.
For me I find Mondays to be a good shopping day for fresh and Sundays if I want meat deals, alot of mark downs.

Like deelady said, it totally depends on the store.

Some stores restock at the end of the day - others restock first thing in the morning. Doesn't mean the meat or produce is any "fresher" - it's just been in the back for a few more hours. I know where my son works - they may only get one shipment per week - they restock from the freezer in the back as needed at night.

Also - stores will try to sell the older stuff in back before they put out the new stuff ... FIFO concept (First In First Out).

Some really "rotate" produce and meats - they put the new stuff on the bottom and yesterdays stuff on top. Some limit what they put out - they don't put out new stuff till the old stuff is sold.

If you shop at one store and get to know the people very well - the produce guy, the butcher, etc. ... you might be able to make some contacts and get fresher stuff - and they will be able to tell you the days/times to be there.

I used to shop late at night (around midnight) to avoid the crowds ... 5-6 am was also lovely - no kids running amuck, etc.

Last edited:
Around here I would say Tuesdays. I'm self-employed and can shop any day of the week. I've found Tuesdays to be well stocked and less traveled.

Definitely helps to be a regular.
Also helps not to be a regular PIA.
I go to the grovery store at 7am in the morning to avoid a long deli line

yes, vegetarian larry goes to the deli line to by cheese
Yes vegetarians (some) eat cheese
No larry is not a regualar PIA (aside from popular belief)

Being a regular, these guys take care of me. They know what I usually want. They like me compared to the other complaining customers, and at least where i go, the salads are all new and placed at this time.

I have to plan my trip for when the frreshly baked rolls and bread come out of the oven ( which is about this time).

The produce people are putting out all the fresh produce, and I dont feel rushed or bullied by a crowed behind me reaching over my shoulder for the fresher tomato or whatever ( since no one is there but me)

And finally, Im the first one on line to check out using the same guy week after week. This is the guy who knows every vegetable and fruit code. And for the few codes he doesnt know, he is smart and knows the right person to ask or looks them up quickly, so im not online all day long. Ideally its best if i go during the week on my days off, but usually its sunday mornings. Speaking of which, its about 6:30 now, I need to get ready to get some freshly baked bread.

Bottom line, being a regular and friendly with the people who work in your local market goes a long way. They deal with many difficult people and they find it a pleasure when they see a familiar face of someone that treats them nicely. And in my case, often go out of the way to keep u a happy regular customer by providing you with the best. Im actually known to them as " the feta cheese guy" since i buy a block every sunday morning ( they can set their watches to it). So much so, that they wished me a Happy Greek Easter, thinking I was Greek by the amount of feta cheese i bought. I didnt have the heart to tell them i wasnt. ;)

i grocery shop on line and have it delivered to my house. no lines, no crying kids, no sappy music, no hurrying , can change mind , lots of specials. most of the vegs. i buy are frozen. produce is sky high here right now, and frozen is always good. do buy lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and some fruit. buy frozen fruit as well. my store has large bags of a lot of different frozen fruit. sometimes i miss the fun of shopping in a store. however the positives out weight the negatives. so to answer the question of when to shop, i shop when ever i feel like it .

I live in a small town, and what others have said, I second. That is to say, find out when your store gets deliveries. I've always shopped on Fridays for convenience sake. But it happens that my local grocer gets most of his deliveries on Thursday. So it all works out very well.

I agree with all. Here in the midwest it depends on the store as well as if you want fresh produce or meat. It is produce on Wednesday and I recently found the discounted section on meats. I bought a deep freeze a couple of years ago and I always check out the "managers special" on meats. I can pick them up when they still look good (only going bad while in their refridgerators) then I take them home and put in my freezer. I love it!!! Anyway to save a few bucks :)

Though you may not like the time it costs you, consider shopping when your market is busiest. The food is flying off the shelves and being restocked all the time. The store has scheduled their deliveries to meet this demand.

Back
Top Bottom