"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-31-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Master Chef

when you suddenly realize you're throwing a party...

i realized, after guests begun to arrive, that I am in the midst of having a party. I didn't know that i was having a party tonite, but apparantly i am...
how do YOU cope with this, when people just begin knocking on the door?
i automatically vacuum, spray bath and body works body spray throughout the house in profuse amounts, just so my guests think my home ALWAYS smells of lovely perfume-esque frangrances, then proceed to tidy up, and offer those who are of age some alcohol. under-21-ers get turned away at the door; i don't want- nor do i need- that kind of responsibility on my shoulders. 21-and-over is the rule around here.
i do not feed my guests.
otherwise they won't leave.
how do you deal with unexpected guests showing up in the masses?

Old 10-31-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
Master Chef

oh,well, i guess i'm on my own with this one, lol.
oh, well.
i just gave my last guests a gentle 'good-bye' out the door.
i'm DRUNK... whew!

Old 10-31-2004, 07:05 AM   #3
Senior Cook

You seem to have solved your problem now and now you are drunk also. I think it's turning out to be a good day for you! :D

For future reference here is my advice ( you need help for this one ): Get somebody you know and trust to call you with telephone or cell phone. Pick up the phone and in a loud voice so that everybody can hear say something like "OH NO! ... Oh my GOD! Are they ok?" Carry on this kind of thing with moments of silence thrown in as if you were listening. Hang up and tell the guests that a friend has been run over by a car and that they have to go because you must get ready and visit them in hospital. Of course, you can really only use this the one time or they might start to suspect if all your friends and family get run over by cars every time they appear :D
Old 10-31-2004, 07:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm
You seem to have solved your problem now and now you are drunk also. I think it's turning out to be a good day for you! :D
LoL She is always up at strange hours. I wasn't here, so I'm sorry I couldn't help you luvs!
Old 10-31-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
That happens at my house at least a couple times per month. I never have to worry about under 21's. I love it when people stop by. I always feed them (I think that's part of the reason everyone lands at my house) I always have a vast array alcoholic beverages and a lot of juice and soda. There's always some kinda food I can throw together. Our house is the 'football' house, so I can expect a houseful every Sunday. Today's fare will be Hector's Exorcism Wings (beyond insanely hot) Hector's Chili, Corn bread, and a selection of chips and veggies and dips. Most of our friends bring alcohol, some call ahead and to let us know they'll bring the wings (we just need to do the sauce)
Oh and today there will be pumpkin bread, because my 6 yr old had to count the seeds in this pumpkin from his school field trip (173 seeds) So I cooked that up and it will be pumpkin bread in about 2 hours!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Master Chef

thanks for the responses!
JV got it just right in her response :D
Old 10-31-2004, 08:43 AM   #7
Cook

I've never actually had this problem before, but that would really suck if it did happen! I don't know how to handle it. On one hand, I wouldn't want to be rude but on the other hand...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #8
Everymom

It happens here with great regularity too. I am also the "football" house. However, you need to respect the no talking rule during plays. NO CHIT CHAT!

I throw a tray of appetizers in the oven, pour drinks, toss a couple bowls of chips out and make sure the kids have some play doh or something to do. Usually my kids will take care of any little ones that arrive.

I think it is the greatest compliment that everyone feels my house is "comfy" enough to do this on the spur of the moment.

Congratulations luvs, you are an acclaimed hostess if this happens to you.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
Everymom

Oh, and I forgot to mention the cleaning...FORGET IT! If you show up unexpectedly, you can just move the pile of laundry I am folding to find your own seat! You obviously know these people well, so forget the clean up!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:26 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
LOL Alix.... same here... they know my house is ummmm..... lived in.... and they come anyway!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote