Where did your latest cooking inspiration come from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Yesterday I was having a coffee in Starbucks.
There were some baked wrap type things with feta cheese, ricola etc in them.
I copy cated as best I could and now have a batch of something like them baking in the oven.

Describe your latest cooking inspiration. :chef:

Mel

I'd have to agree that alot of my inspirations come from this board as well. When an inspiration turns into something you'll add to your cooking repertoire, that's really satisfying. My latest inspiration - that will become a staple for us - is the cinnamon roll recipe that JoeV posted last week. They are SO good and I love the way you can put them together at night and pop them into the oven next morning.

I copy cated as best I could and now have a batch of something like them baking in the oven.

Mel

A lot of my inspiration comes from Ol-blue, right here on DC. I love her simple but "delicious" recipes.:)

For desserts it came from here.. the Cake Mix Cookie thread. For main meal it was from one of my Jamie Oliver cookbooks

DC is always a help... lately I've been MAKING myself try new recipes as I'm tired of the same old thing I always make so, I've been searching the web and re-reading cookbooks.

Mine mostly come from cravings, and things I see either online, on tv, or magazines.
Mostly from cravings.
:)

My latest inspiration came from stuff I had in my refrigerator with the idea of Thai behind it. The salad dressing I made came from a dressing at a local Thai restaurant. While it wasn't exact it was pretty close - sweet, vinegar, and VERY spicy!

some of mine just pop in my head, while using :chef:
what i have on hand.

some i see in mag. or on line, here or food network . then i buy the stuff to make it.

the banana coffee muffins came from foodtv, while i was looking for something else.

i too get bored with making the same old thing and certainly with eating the same old thing.

babe:chef::chef:

I just get bored with the same ol' same ol'. Then I add or take away, double, or put odd things together. Some things come out alright, great and AWFUL! Oh weel, that's how you create.

The butcher. Came across some beautiful short ribs, and as the weather was turning cool thought they might be nice. Yup they were and made enough for a couple leftover type meals too.

I'd have to agree that alot of my inspirations come from this board as well. When an inspiration turns into something you'll add to your cooking repertoire, that's really satisfying. My latest inspiration - that will become a staple for us - is the cinnamon roll recipe that JoeV posted last week. They are SO good and I love the way you can put them together at night and pop them into the oven next morning.

Do you have a link to those cinnamon rolls? I really like the idea of being able to put them together the night before and then bake them for breakfast. :)

Mel

I was inspired by some roasted salsa verde I made the other night to go with some chicken fajitas I made (from Cuisine at Home June 2008) to make more roasted vegetables. Since then I've made a roasted tomato sauce for pasta and right now for lunch I'm making roasted bell pepper and tomato sauce for, again, pasta. I've also made roasted garlic but I already knew how to do that :P

Sometimes it just pops into my head, sometimes from a restaurant or something we have seen around town, sometimes from a show on TV, a lot of the time though from stuff posted here.

Mine comes from cravings too. I was craving something italian with chicken and came up with this for dinner tonight. It's stuffed with spinach, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder and italian seasoning. Dipped in egg and rolled in italian bread crumbs, fried until golden brown and then finished off in the oven. It was pretty good!

Attachments

• stuffed-chicken-breast.jpg
    stuffed-chicken-breast.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 59

Mel

I certainly hope you mean feta and ricotta cheese cannoli, and not a feta and ricola mix - ricola is an herbal cough drop! :LOL:

I get inspiration from many sources ... some planned (reading cookbooks/mags) where I plan and buy my ingredients in advance, taking inventory of what I have on hand and making a meal from those ingredients, some from "spur of the moment" need for a quick meal, or a craving for "comfort" food (usually also comes from what is on hand).

I love all the ideas here at DC and get a lot of inspiration from them. However, I think my latest one has to be from a friend who lent me a cookbook on Middle Eastern dishes combined with a childhood memory. I am trying to recreate the turkish delight I made as a child with my GrandMom. She got the recipe from her mother-in-law who brought it from England (turn of the previous century) but neither ever wrote it down. I have come close, but not there yet, though it is sure fun trying!

Back
Top Bottom