"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #31
Head Chef

Meatloaf, mashed & Brussels sprouts.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Taxi, authentic Mexican rice never has any chunks like Spanish Rice does. I don't see why it couldn't be done with brown rice with more water and cooking time.

I posted this a long time ago..

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.
Great sounding recipe, Kay. It makes such a huge difference in the final rice dish, to sauté it before cooking it. No more gummy rice - fluffy and separate rice grains every time!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Great sounding recipe, Kay. It makes such a huge difference in the final rice dish, to sauté it before cooking it. No more gummy rice - fluffy and separate rice grains every time!
It does sound good, but I'll have to modify it for brown rice.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It does sound good, but I'll have to modify it for brown rice.
Hi taxy. I use brown rice most often, too. Here's a pic I dug up using Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice for 'Spanish' rice not too long ago. It worked great, just took a little longer to cook. It wasn't authentic Spanish rice or Mexican rice (and there is a difference) but if what you're looking for is a rice dish to accompany a Mexican themed dinner, you can't go wrong with winging it. I do it all the time....more tomatoes, less tomatoes...cumin or not, sometimes some turmeric for more 'yellow', sometimes not. LOL This one was made with a homemade pico de gallo, as I didn't have any salsa.

I highlighted Kay's post about sautéing rice before cooking it, because it really does help eliminate the starch and makes for a much nicer, fluffier rice.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Hi taxy. I use brown rice most often, too. Here's a pic I dug up using Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice for 'Spanish' rice not too long ago. It worked great, just took a little longer to cook. It wasn't authentic Spanish rice or Mexican rice (and there is a difference) but if what you're looking for is a rice dish to accompany a Mexican themed dinner, you can't go wrong with winging it. I do it all the time....more tomatoes, less tomatoes...cumin or not, sometimes some turmeric for more 'yellow', sometimes not. LOL This one was made with a homemade pico de gallo, as I didn't have any salsa.

I highlighted Kay's post about sautéing rice before cooking it, because it really does help eliminate the starch and makes for a much nicer, fluffier rice.

Looks wonderful. Was your brown rice short or long grain?

Tags
beef