Where's the Beef Tuesday, 9-16-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This time of year I use every opportunity to grill. The weather is absolutely perfect, not too hot and soon it will be too cold, though I try to grill even in the winter. So definitely grill, grill, grill.

that's what i ended up doing while dw made herb roasted fingerlings and heated up a can of baby peas.

the chicken was slathered with amish peach jam after grilling. it was delicious.

I sautéed bell peppers, onions and garlic, then added cooked crumbled Italian sausage and some seasonings. Let that cook while I boiled some rotini, then mixed it all together. I also have garlic bread in the toaster oven.

Turkey mince (sauteed with onion and garlic) mixed into stir fry veg and chinese noodles - with sundried tomato paste and reduced chicken stock....a kind of turkey chow mein.

It's just too blamed hot here to even go out and barbeque. I just don't do heat well at all.

I had some ground lamb in the fridge so I made the little one pound meatloaf wrapped in foil with Steve Kroll's recipe for Gyros's, and put it in the toaster oven instead of the big oven.
A quick nuke of the Pita bread, and we'll be all set with tomatoes and onions for terrific Gyro's.
Ice cream bars for later.

Steak Salad

img_1387842_0_a24afe04e234fd70c69f8bb7523156da.jpg

Where's the Beef...

Why, it's in my pasta sauce! Thanks for asking. ;)

I didn't feel like cooking, but we always feel like eating, so I defrosted a package of ground beef and sauteed it with onion, garlic, and Italian seasonings. Opened and poured a jar of sauce, then rinsed the jar out with red wine and added that to the pan. Decided to use a fun shape pasta instead of spaghetti noodles. I opted for Fiore. Of course, there was a salad before the pasta. Pretty soon I'll want soup instead of salad.

I ended up with chorizo and egg. About fresh veggied out for the day, found "cocktail cucumbers"at Costco and they were good. I'll have a nectarine in a few minutes.

Taxi, authentic Mexican rice never has any chunks like Spanish Rice does. I don't see why it couldn't be done with brown rice with more water and cooking time.

I posted this a long time ago..

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Great sounding recipe, Kay. :yum: It makes such a huge difference in the final rice dish, to sauté it before cooking it. No more gummy rice - fluffy and separate rice grains every time!

Great sounding recipe, Kay. :yum: It makes such a huge difference in the final rice dish, to sauté it before cooking it. No more gummy rice - fluffy and separate rice grains every time!
It does sound good, but I'll have to modify it for brown rice.

It does sound good, but I'll have to modify it for brown rice.

Hi taxy. :) I use brown rice most often, too. Here's a pic I dug up using Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice for 'Spanish' rice not too long ago. It worked great, just took a little longer to cook. It wasn't authentic Spanish rice or Mexican rice (and there is a difference) but if what you're looking for is a rice dish to accompany a Mexican themed dinner, you can't go wrong with winging it. :) I do it all the time....more tomatoes, less tomatoes...cumin or not, sometimes some turmeric for more 'yellow', sometimes not. LOL This one was made with a homemade pico de gallo, as I didn't have any salsa.

I highlighted Kay's post about sautéing rice before cooking it, because it really does help eliminate the starch and makes for a much nicer, fluffier rice.

img_1388127_0_a432c33f979233e36d16b10940bc4b93.jpg

Hi taxy. :) I use brown rice most often, too. Here's a pic I dug up using Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice for 'Spanish' rice not too long ago. It worked great, just took a little longer to cook. It wasn't authentic Spanish rice or Mexican rice (and there is a difference) but if what you're looking for is a rice dish to accompany a Mexican themed dinner, you can't go wrong with winging it. :) I do it all the time....more tomatoes, less tomatoes...cumin or not, sometimes some turmeric for more 'yellow', sometimes not. LOL This one was made with a homemade pico de gallo, as I didn't have any salsa.

I highlighted Kay's post about sautéing rice before cooking it, because it really does help eliminate the starch and makes for a much nicer, fluffier rice.

img_1388133_0_a432c33f979233e36d16b10940bc4b93.jpg
Looks wonderful. Was your brown rice short or long grain?

Back
Top Bottom