Whet your Appetite Wednesday (09/17/14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Today I am making a SUPER-healthy meal - griddled chicken with a salad of griddled broccoli, raw beetroot and sliced red onion on a bed of watercress, with a dressing of avocado, garlic and basil pesto. (Hopefully it will taste okay as well as being good for me!) :ermm:

Well, I have finally gotten around to making the Shrimp Salad for the Toasted Hot Dog Rolls. Right now the flavors are mellowing out together. I used scallions in place of the onions. Milder flavor. :angel:

Hi-KatyCooks--Your meal sounds wonderful and I just had to tell you that. I was just listening to a video on CNN about sugar and how it has replaced fat in foods. I liked one of his comments about how food should make you feel good, not sick.

I needed a healthy meal a few days ago so I cooked some Halibut, steamed celery and carrots and a sweet potato. I felt so good. :)

Last edited:
Today I am making a SUPER-healthy meal - griddled chicken with a salad of griddled broccoli, raw beetroot and sliced red onion on a bed of watercress, with a dressing of avocado, garlic and basil pesto. (Hopefully it will taste okay as well as being good for me!) :ermm:

The avocado on its own will have you blooming:) Very good for you are avocados. They are, however, a source of friction between me and the Slimming World consultant (already - I only signed up yesterday evening!) She says they are a no-no. I say better 10 Syns of avocado that 10 Syns of crisps, chocolate or vodka. We have agreed to differ.

I had some steamed pollack (an un-endangered fish related to cod for the uninitiated), a salsa of avocado, tomato, parsley (didn't have any coriander), shallot, lemon and salt & black pepper. Should have had a jalapeno in it but raw chilis don't like me so added a pinch of ground ginger which worked quite well. Also had a green salad of spinach and some baby sweetcorn left over from last night and followed up with an orange. Feeling very noble and full.

Last edited:
Going to take a walk and get some corn on the cob for dinner. I can't decide what else to do. Thinking a grilled chicken with lemony sauce, our last zucchini from the garden and maybe a coleslaw. Not very colorful but tasty!

I have a beef stew in the oven. It's one of those that takes 4 hour to cook. The house smells so good all afternoon.

Going to take a walk and get some corn on the cob for dinner. I can't decide what else to do. Thinking a grilled chicken with lemony sauce, our last zucchini from the garden and maybe a coleslaw. Not very colorful but tasty!

stealing corn from the neighbor's field again, are ya?

welcome, cherf. i could go for some halibut. just for the... nevermind.

are you in shawnee, pennsylvania?

i had planned on making broiled buffalo wings tonight, but the chicken was bad. the date on it was the 19th grrrr.

so then i opened up a package of leg quarters; same deal. NFG, and the date was also the 19th.

all of it is going back to the store tonight for a refund.

i ended up finding boneless breasts in the upstairs fridge that were still good, so i dusted them in my turkish rub and grilled them, served with a side o' rigatoni.

here's the grilled breasts:

20140917_165522.jpg

The avocado on its own will have you blooming:) Very good for you are avocados. They are, however, a source of friction between me and the Slimming World consultant (already - I only signed up yesterday evening!) She says they are a no-no. I say better 10 Syns of avocado that 10 Syns of crisps, chocolate or vodka. We have agreed to differ.

I had some steamed pollack (an un-endangered fish related to cod for the uninitiated), a salsa of avocado, tomato, parsley (didn't have any coriander), shallot, lemon and salt & black pepper. Should have had a jalapeno in it but raw chilis don't like me so added a pinch of ground ginger which worked quite well. Also had a green salad of spinach and some baby sweetcorn left over from last night and followed up with an orange. Feeling very noble and full.

I am a big fan of avocados.

I am not a big fan of eating too much. (of anything.)

Or too little.

Here endeth my dieting advice!

I was wondering what that would look like.

:yum:

Well, quite a pale colored dish. Tasted a lot better than it looked. The grey mushrooms don't help either. The salmon went from a brilliant orangey-red color to a....well, salmon color:huh:, as soon as it hit the heat. Maybe next time I should add a bit of red pepper or something to give it more color.

Last edited:

Yep, that sounds delightful!

Well, quite a pale colored dish. Tasted a lot better than it looked. The grey mushrooms don't help either. The salmon went from a brilliant orangey-red color to a....well, salmon color:huh:, as soon as it hit the heat. Maybe next time I should add a bit of red pepper or something to give it more color.

Honest opinion?

Taste is the most important thing.

But if you can make it look a little bit good too? :chef:]]

Actually, nutrition is the most important thing, but I am assuming this is about people who have a choice.

Last edited:
All the Creole/Cajun talk on DC lately made me hungry, so I made up a batch of shrimp etoufee. Unfortunately, I got a little too adventurous and, in addition to the shrimp, tossed in some crabmeat that was in the freezer. I should have given it the sniff test first, because it had a decidedly fishy flavor. We muddled through dinner, but it wasn't very good. :ermm:

Tonight's dinner on the "Andy Eats Whatever He Wants" menu was Beef Stroganov. It was really good.

Chef's salad with leftover roast beef from last night and turkey breast roasted earlier in the week for this dinner and sandwiches.

Nice pics, bucky and Rock! :yum: Great sounding dinners here this evening.

I had a fish taco with a side of sliced avocado, sprinkled with fresh lime juice. I'm no nutritionist, but I agree with MadCook that the 'good stuff' in avocados outweigh the fat they contain. I'll keep eating them. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom