"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #21
Head Chef

For all of you ladies out there that have hubbies who can cook "You are very, very lucky". As for my hubby, in the past 5 years that we have been married the only thing I have seen him fix is a balogna or peanut butter sandwich and pour a bowl of cereal.

Since I work evenings, Monday through Friday I don't have the time to cook as often as I would like too so all of my cooking is done on the weekends and then frozen and heated through the week.

But when I do happen to get a day off from work I go all out and fix something really special.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
My mom cooks everyday. I cook ocassionally on the weekends because i have time. During weekdays i come home from practice and dinner is redy. And i keep creating new and unique dishes on the weekends

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #23
Master Chef

i make most of my food, and usually cook something from scratch, except for the past few months i've been sick. it could be something as simple as some pasta and a simple sauce to broiled lamb chops and a fancy sauce, wilted garlic spinach, and a mixed drink or two, or something more time-consuming like homemade spinach ravioli and a complex sauce.
once in awhile i'll eat what my Dad cooks, but his sort of food and my sort of food are polar opposites. i love to try new things and variety, gourmet foods and a gorgeuous presentation with many colors, contrasts, and a handsome garnish. he stays with the same 'ol, same 'ol, (but tries to change things up ONCE in a while), and just serves food without making it look nice, and doesn't put much into contrasts and presentation. his food is good, but not what i'm accustomed to. let's just say my food budget is probably 3x what his is and i baby my food for the best possible outcome. i buy the best and he buys what's on sale. my Mom just gratefully lets him do all the cooking, lol.
i love my Grandpa's food- bacon and soft-boiled eggs, pressure-cooked soups, all of it is good. good old-fashioned foods like cabbage soup and stuff like that.
i haven't been much into cooking since i've gotten ill, but it's been several months and i've been itching to get into the kitchen recently. lately it's been simple foods, but i can see my kitchen creativity returning. i missed it. :D
Old 02-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

I do all the cooking, since I am the only cook in the house. Rarely. do I eat out. Mostly due to the lack of restaurants where I live. Plus, eating at home is much healthier. Breakfast during the work week usually consists of cereal or oatmeal. On the weekends I may cook eggs or pancakes. I make my own lunch everyday. Most of the time I don't have the luxury of going out to lunch. Also, most of my lunches are eaten cold due to the fact it is kind of hard to use a microwave out in the forest.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I do 95% of the cooking...my wife admits that she cannot cook. I think she makes a great spaghetti dinner, and pretty tasty lasagna. I let her make sandwiches...I always say that she puts "love" in her sandwiches as an extra special ingredient. That makes her feel good about it.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
I always say that she puts "love" in her sandwiches as an extra special ingredient. That makes her feel good about it.
Anything that has "love" as an extra special ingredient is "a good thing". You are a lucky guy.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #27
Head Chef

I cook 95% of the time,
Now and again my GF will cook, once in a blue moon my son will cook.
But then again, I'm a pain when someone else cooks.
John.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

i do about 85 % of the cooking in our house. dw will make something once every 1 to 2 weeks. she'd like to cook more, but is so busy with the baby and trying to take care of the house that it just kinda falls on me to cook, which i do gladly. she will cook something if she has a recipe she wants to try, or has a hankering for something specific that i've never made before. so i step back and let her have the kitchen. (i've also learned to avoid giving advice and pick nits when she cooks. just sit back and watch/make mental notes).
fortunately, even tho we have a tempestuous relationship, we have always functionally lived together very well. if something needs to be done, whichever of us is free to do it takes over, no questions asked.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #29
Master Chef

Humm ... I live alone so I guess I do all the cooking?

I'm basically a "scratch" cooker - so I would guess I cook 10-14 meals from scratch each week. Leftovers get recycled for lunch, or frozen for a quick meal another night.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #30
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I do almost all of the cooking. Once in a blue moon hubby will cook. But I have to say that my kids usually have their hands in whatever meal I'm cooking except breakfast. They are usually still in bed when I'm cooking it.