"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Master Chef
Who cooks in your house and how often?

Who cooks day-to-day in your house, and how often. For example, I cook (and I mean really cook, not heat up something from a can or the freezer) at least 8 times a week. My husband used to like to cook, but living near my family killed it for him, and now he rarely cooks. I've been watching my friends, family, and acquaintances and it seems even those who love to cook don't really cook more than a meal or three a week. Popping a frozen lasagna in the oven doesn't count. Popping a frozen lasagna YOU COOKED in the oven, albeit last week, does.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Executive Chef
When we are not doing weight watchers ( and having to pop those frozen dinners in to keep on track) My husband cooks everyday.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Executive Chef
I cook dinner, seven days per week. I make breakfast but thats typcially cream of wheat for my daughter, toast, sometimes omelets, pancakes, french toast. I make my daugthers lunch to take to school, and my husband comes home from work for lunch and makes his own lunch, which is usually ravioli from a can, or spanish rice, or tomatoe and rice soup.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I do most of the cooking because I'm home and have the time to do the shopping and fiddling around with recipes and experiments.

Handy Husband likes to make breakfast on Sat/Sun mornings, which usually includes bacon or sausage, with biscuits from a can or waffles/pancakes/eggs. I let him do the barbecuing because he's better at it than me.

If he did all the cooking, we would rarely have green veggies except for lima beans, and no salad, no fruit, no fish except shrimp, and bread with every meal. And I would have to do the cleaning up!
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I do 90% of the cooking around here..
Mostly it's "not out of a can"
Paul will make his own scrambled eggs for breakfast a few times a week.
But, I make his lunch and dinner. Lunch is usally leftovers from the night before. Pretty easy really.

Dinner... that changes week to week. Depending on his meetings and such. I try to cook a "real" dinner at least four times a week.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Master Chef
My husband used to make pizza, bread, and pasta from scratch. Often as a part of a dinner party. We lived near my parents for a few years, then went on the road for a few years, and somewhere in there, I lost my chef. He's a bit anal, and wants to be able to predict everything. Anything involving yeast is not predictable, and anything involving a large family is definitely unpredictable. So he simply gave up, because while I may not make pasta from scratch, you can call up and I can turn dinner for 6 (the minimum I cook) into dinner for 15.

I'd complain but, in fact, my husband takes great pride in the meals I toss out, and my ability to entertain at the drop of a hat in a relaxed manner. It stood him well in our military years (oh, dear, 150 Christmas cards, a tree trimming party, a twelfthnight party (40 people each, minimum), and attending two parties every Fri, Sat, and usually one on Sunday, most of which you're bringing a dish to? Can't everyone do that?). to be honest with you it was a blast, I loved every minute of it, and miss it. But I do miss that husband who made me fresh bread or pasta ....
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Head Chef
I do most of the cooking at my house. When DH complains too much that I don't let him cook, I give in and let him cook. I hate doing dishes, so this doesn't happen very often. We cook on average of every other day at home. This is for breakfast, lunch and dinner, since we pack left overs for lunch and sometimes my son likes to eat left overs for breakfast.
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Senior Cook
I am not sure I understand.

If you do not cook, you do not eat.

If you let someone else outside your familly cook for you, then you are dependent on them.

Yet it seems to me that some of you do, even though it is not neccesary. So why do you put such power into other peoples hands?
Darkstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I cook (really cook) nearly every night. He used to cook for his ex wife every night but he says I intimidate him in the kitchen :roll:

I usually make enough to have for lunch the next day - or make some sort of lunch myself like ham salad from left-over ham or chicken salad (like today) from the left-over chicken from the pot pie or just a sandwich. He's even forgotten how to put water in a glass LOL BUT he works (whoops - which is what I should be doing - some typing for him) and I do sometimes so that is the least I can do. It's the housekeeping duties I HATE!!!!! I mean REALLY hate! I take care of his 3-year old daughter who pees on the carpet (ok, ok, it's a dog :P ).

Breakfast is usually cereal or our "egg mcmuffins" or something easy like that - cereal is up to them to put in a bowl and pour milk over it though

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #10
Senior Cook
"He's even forgotten how to put water in a glass"

Do you REALLY think this is a fair comment?

Darkstream is offline   Reply With Quote