Who do you cook for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Karen, I love to go to parties like that. I like trying what everyone brings.
Of course the cat in me will talk to DH on the way home and say, "Can you believe that stuff that so and so called *insert name of dish*? Wow!!"
But it's always fun.

Mostly just for HH and me because DD absolutely must hang with her friends at dinnertime. Lately I've been bored with cooking for just two so we "veg" (our word for it) on leftovers of some larger meal that I probably made on the weekend.

Like we will do tonight. Again.

I cook for my husband and 2 kids. My kids are older now, so they are more willing to try new things. The 20 yr old wants to eat healthy and as vegetarian as possible, without actually committing to that lifestyle, and she dislikes beef, unless it's a really good burger. My 19 yr old son will eat just about anything, except for any kind of chicken made at home (i can't figure that one out, lol). My husband, on the other hand, is extremely picky, fussy and demanding. I'd need a whole other thread to describe the nightmare that is cooking for him, lol. In the past 2 years, I've lost 170 lbs, because I finally started taking care of myself. It's not easy cooking so healthy all the time, but it's been worth it.
I also cook for a family as my job. I am very lucky in that they love just about anything. As I go along, I find that one doesnt like mango and ginger, one doesn't like shellfish or anything deepfried, but that's about it! I can pretty much make them anything I want, yay! Their kids are another matter, lol. They are 4 and 6 yrs old. Because I have kids of my own, I can remember the dinner time struggles I used to have. And because of that, I haven't strangled these kids,,,yet. Sometimes they are willing to take a bite of what I make before they go back to the prerequisite bowl of noodles I have to make them everyight. I told my 20 yr old daughter about this and she said don't strangle them yet, just think "What would Alice do?" (Alice of the Brady Bunch) . I guess Alice wouldn't wring their necks. Sigh.
Chrissy

I am a professional Chef and Culinary Educator, but when I am home I mainly get a chance to cook when we are putting together a big party or family get together.

I cook for me, DH and my Dad three meals a day. I cater so often I am cooking for wedding parties and other events. I also do wedding and specialty cakes so am baking for others and keep our youth group and neighbour kids in cookies and other goodies all year round. I love to cook meals for friends and neighbours when they are in need (and sometimes when they aren't!). And I also cook to experiment for the two cookbooks I am simultaneously trying to write.

In other words, I cook for anyone who eats! :)

I cook for me, DH and my Dad three meals a day. I cater so often I am cooking for wedding parties and other events. I also do wedding and specialty cakes so am baking for others and keep our youth group and neighbour kids in cookies and other goodies all year round. I love to cook meals for friends and neighbours when they are in need (and sometimes when they aren't!). And I also cook to experiment for the two cookbooks I am simultaneously trying to write.

In other words, I cook for anyone who eats! :)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm AHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHH (remember that cartoon with the guy pointing to his mouth?)

Chrissy, 170 lbs? Is this a typo? I hate cooking for fussy eaters, in fact, refuse to do so. I actually married on that basis. But brava for losing so much weight, and don't let them get you down.

Hi Claire,
Nope, it's not a typo. I've lost 170 lbs so far.I'd like to lose more, and I will, it's just going slowly right now. I'm at a weight right now that is acceptable, but it's not really where i want to be. I'll never be model thin, but I can dream,,,lol.
You're a stronger person than I, if you don't put up with fussy eaters. not much I can do about it if the fussy eaters are my boss's kids. As to my husband, it's my fault I catered to him for so many years. He's getting better, though, lol. Or maybe I'm getting better?:LOL:
Chrissy

Since my DH passed away two months ago, I cook just for myself. I have to admit that I know eat a lot of sandwiches instead of good meals, because it's not fun anymore.
I really hope that I will get the desire to cook again, even though it's just for me.

Most of the time I cook for only myself. Yes, I know that's sad but it is how it is. I must admit however that I sometimes surprise even myself with some of my weird concoctions. Like popcorn smothered with REAL cheese rather than just sprinkling it with that powdered stuff... YUCK. Nope, I melt the cheddar cheese then poor it over my freshly popped popcorn. Let it cook for just a minute then dig in. I know, I know... not healthy but it's beats smoking, right?

Essie and Steved, there is nothing wrong with cooking for one. I lived alone for a half-dozen years between marriages. It was a journey of self-discovery. I was so broke that some months I could only afford cabbage and chicken livers, the latter of which I would share with my cat. That said, I've always managed to invite someone over or cook for someone who can't. Now, luckily, I am not wealthy by any measure, but affordable food isn't an issue any more. Thank Heaven. My widow friend loves to make soups and stews, and as most of us know, it is hard to cook these things for one. So she gives some to her son & his girlfriend, and gives some to a couple of elderly, incapacitated friends I read to every week. Just some thoughts for those times when you cook something that is hard to cook for one.

Chrissy, the only reason I can manage to not feed fussy eaters is that I had a short "starter" marriage (no kids, no obligations when it ended) and simply decided I'd never live in circumstances where peanut butter and jelly was considered fancy, where the only bread was wonder white, and the only meat was well done steak. I've now been married for 26 years, been with the man for 28, and no matter what I fix, he loves it. But I was pushing 30 when I married him and pretty much knew who I was and what I wanted from life by then. And, yes, there is hope. My father visited us in Hawaii a couple of decades ago and discovered a love of sushi. And he will tell anyone who asks that he HATES rice. But LOVES sushi. Go figure!

My mom was widowed in '71 and after I moved out when I was 17 she had a hard time cooking for one. She used her freezer a lot. If the roast beef or meatloaf was too big she'd freeze. She even made a kind of tv dinner type thing and when she'd get home from work, would have that for her dinner. Homemade and yet quick and easy.

Most of the time I cook for only myself. Yes, I know that's sad but it is how it is. I must admit however that I sometimes surprise even myself with some of my weird concoctions. Like popcorn smothered with REAL cheese rather than just sprinkling it with that powdered stuff... YUCK. Nope, I melt the cheddar cheese then poor it over my freshly popped popcorn. Let it cook for just a minute then dig in. I know, I know... not healthy but it's beats smoking, right?
i like melted butter with lemon and hot sauce over my well salted popcorn. i quit smoking it's been 21 days!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom