Who does the food shopping in your house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i do most of the food shopping, unless dw is in a mood and wants to get out of the house. then i just have to carry it in from the car. i buy better cuts of meat and the better snacks; she buys the healthy stuff...

That would be me. But hubby does pick up the occassional gallon of milk for me on his way home. If I left it up to him to do all the shopping we'd have a freezer full of ready to eats and lots of junk foods.

We usually go together to do the shopping. He buys 1 week, I buy the next.

Husband used to do most of it, but he sounds a lot like Sizz's husband. Plus we had every brand of sugared cereal known to man (bonus if they also contained chocolate).

I had no choice. I had to step back in.

We now eat food that is green in color more often and it is not Jello.

For us it's a family affair---me, my husband and daughter. My daughter's 11 and just started getting into cooking, so we pour over cookbooks and cooking mags, make our list, then use the husband as chauffeur, wagon pusher and pack mule. We usually make a day of it on Saturdays with a combined trip to the mall and nice lunch out. I do keep a running list and clear it on each trip, so no mid-week trips to the market unless it's an emergency.

Since I'm the only adult in the house - me.

I love to shop. I'm at the grocery store three times a week, and I'm a great bargain finder.

Who does the food shopping

Wow! I love this question, simply because it has changed so much since I retired. When I was working I couldn't drag my husband kicking and screaming to the grocery store. Now that we're both retired he is the big expert on prices and best deals. He actually has a running list showing when we should buy what. He does the "inventory" each morning before we shop-it's a riot! Some how store-bought toilet paper is his big thing. 3 for $1 is a big deal-never mind that you have to use twice as much as the brand name product!! Oh well, he enjoys the challenge so I let him do what he thinks is right!

Well if hubby went after the groceries he would come back with things like frozen (already cooked) chicken, balogna, weiners, vienna sausages, corn dogs and pork and beans so I do the shopping and hubby carries them from the car into the house for me and together we both put them away.

I have a hard time with the food shopper in my house. At times I have a hard time convincing her to buy me stuff I want. She only shops very infrequently and buys all kinds of junk. LOL. Guess who the shopper is, ME!! :LOL: :LOL: When I used to have roommates, we used to share in the shopping. But I did not mind doing it as long as the others helped with menu ideas, etc.

except for the basics like milk and stuff, we shop seperately...

i buy all of the gourmet food like caviar whereas my Dad buys the stuff like steaks and beer and my Mom buys stuff like Stouffers meals.

Vegas Girl said:
Since I'm the only adult in the house - me.

I love to shop. I'm at the grocery store three times a week, and I'm a great bargain finder.

I hear ya.. it's just me too... when I choose to be an adult! :roll:

Hubby & I usually do it together unless there's only a few things we need then I usually go by myself or with the kids hooked to my sides. :LOL:

he does the shopping since i'm working on the weekends... but IF i happen to be off, and that's a big IF we go together

My wife and I work together so we usually commute together as well. We usually stop at the store on the way home. Once in the store we split up. I buy the produce and meats and anything I need to make dinner. She will buy the milk and juice and ice cream and eggs and that sort of thing plus all her girly things :)

I do the shopping and cooking.

Nobody would want to shop with me. I always shop the sales and I only buy certain things from certain sources.

If I want pork butts, I go to one place. If I want pork chops, I go to another.

Romaine lettuce from one place. Head lettuce from another.

Soda from one store. Juice from another.

I think you get the idea. I can be fairly particular. If I don't find what I want at a price I'm willing to pay, I don't buy it just because I need it. I'll wait until I see it at a better price.

For a real shopping list we go together because I buy more for $80 than my wonderful spouse buys for $100.

Boy, did I start out wrong! Dh has bought groceries two or three times that I can remember - once after the birth of each child, and once when I had surgery. He will darken the door of the grocery if HE needs cold medicine. He doesn't stop and get anything no matter if we are out. I used to get so mad when he was working. He would call when he started home and sometime I would ask him to pick something up - he would say, "you don't really need that tonight, do you?" He must have been scared stiff in a grocery store when he was a child. He doesn't cook either, so I don't know if the two are connected or not. He can fry eggs and make omelets and that is the extent of his culinary skills.

We both do..sometimes we end up with 2 of whatever but now we both have a cell phone and he starts at one end of the store and I shop at the other.
Dove

This thread reminds me how lucky I am that since we live above our restaurant...and a food vendor takes our order every week..we never have to grocery shop! As much as I like to cook...I always hated to shop!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom