Who eats Hormels Spam? How do you prepare it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since SPAM is just an acronym for "Shoulder Pork And haM" - just think canned ham!

Yep, fried SPAM alone, or with sauted onions, or cheese, makes a great sandwich (shaved thin and cooked with onions and bell peppers and topped with Velveta you get a Philly SPAM steak sandwich). You can grate it and make a Denver omlet. Shredded or cubed with onions, green bell peppers, and cubed potatoes (with some eggs naturally) makes a nice fritata. It even makes a decent sweet-and-sour pork dish.

The Hawaiian's are the master SPAM'ers ... the use the stuff for everything!

I've never bought it....never tasted it....you guys are scaring me!!!! :shock:

Must admit though, I am just a little bit tempted now! 8)

woot spam i prepare it like in those ABC stores you find in honolulu. You take a slice of spam put it around an egg and take a bunch of rice and add some white vinegar to the rice and mix it around then clump together and make it like sushi and wrap a seeweed around it

I need Spam every couple months to keep my joints lubricated. I just pan fry it and put it between buttered toast.

hey otter, is it difficult to open those cans of spam with a rock while you're floating on your back? lol, just kidding. the thought of an otter eating spam was a good visual... :LOL:

lindatooo said:
I've never bought it....never tasted it....you guys are scaring me!!!! :shock:

Must admit though, I am just a little bit tempted now! 8)

Get a can......open it....savor the smell.....slice it....place on white bread(no butter :!: ).....a little mustard and lettuce. You will never be the same after eating this fine sandwich.

buckytom said:
hey otter, is it difficult to open those cans of spam with a rock while you're floating on your back? lol, just kidding. the thought of an otter eating spam was a good visual... :LOL:

I bought a few cans to use as bear bate once........they never made it to the bate pile. We all ate it in camp instead.

LMJ said:
I pan-fried it once. It's just _way_ too salty. :(

I can't eat it that way either. However I do slightly brown it before adding canned peaches or pineapple. If you fry it till crisp it is more like eatin a piece of salt that looks like meat. Big Boys has salt that looks like bacon...if you know what I mean.

Every once in a while I get a craving for a fried spam sammie with lots of yellow mustard.... not often though... my ex hag-in-law used to put it in pancit and fried rice... it's really good.

******... now I want a spam sammie!!!

spryte said:
Every once in a while I get a craving for a fried spam sammie with lots of yellow mustard.... not often though... my ex hag-in-law used to put it in pancit and fried rice... it's really good.

******... now I want a spam sammie!!!

Yep.......Spam Fried Rice. I put eggs in mine. Just don't over fry the spam.

I grew up in southern MN about 35 miles from the Hormel plant. My neighbor across the street couldn't find a job locally, so he commuted to Austin and worked for Hormel. I asked him what went into Spam and he said "You don't want to know!" Nevertheless, I continued to eat it then and I still need an occasional Spam fix now. :LOL:

Gawd! How I remember eating that stuff and actually liking it!! My grandmother was the cook in our 3 generational family(my mother worked-unheard of in the late 40's-50's). I remember Granny dipping slices of Spam in egg then in flour and frying it in our black iron skillet. Not a bad meal at the time.

astro said:
Gawd! How I remember eating that stuff and actually liking it!! My grandmother was the cook in our 3 generational family(my mother worked-unheard of in the late 40's-50's). I remember Granny dipping slices of Spam in egg then in flour and frying it in our black iron skillet. Not a bad meal at the time.

Oh man!.....next time my wicked wife leaves for the day....I am goin to cook that.

Spam preparation

I throw it, still in the unopened can, into an outside, in-the-ground, burning wooden fire, and run like &(*&%$(*&( before it explodes. It makes wonderful entertainment. (this is not a recommended manner of cooking, just an expression of how much I like that stuff)

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Re: Spam preparation

norgeskog said:
I throw it, still in the unopened can, into an outside, in-the-ground, burning wooden fire, and run like &(*&%$(*&( before it explodes. It makes wonderful entertainment. (this is not a recommended manner of cooking, just an expression of how much I like that stuff)

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Does it really explode?

Back
Top Bottom