"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Hmmmm. I've never been in a Thai restaurant where they put shrimp in chicken Tom Yum. They are always alternatives to each other on the menu. Plus I would think that would be a liability problem, as shrimp is such a common food allergen.

Thanks to this thread, I had some last night, in fact, from the hole-in-the-wall Thai place nearby. Mine is a lot better but I was feeling exceptionally lazy.

My next project is making Vietnamese hot/sour soup which is actually also sweet, with pineapple in it.
I noticed that they always list the ingredients on the menu. If you're allergic to shrimp, you can have them omitted it and add in more chicken.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #22
Master Chef

I've never once (that I recall) not seen it like this: "Tom Yum ( Chicken or Shrimp) * choice of chicken or shrimp in hot and sour broth seasoned with exotic thai herbs, mushrooms, lemongrass, and lime leaves"

Or like this

Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I've never once (that I recall) not seen it like this: "Tom Yum ( Chicken or Shrimp) * choice of chicken or shrimp in hot and sour broth seasoned with exotic thai herbs, mushrooms, lemongrass, and lime leaves"

Or like this
Oddly enough we have a "Lotus of Siam" restaurant here in Vegas too. It is the most highly rated and most popular Thai restaurant here. My favorites (in any Thai or Chinese place) were Tom Yum Gai, Wor Won Ton soup, and Hot and Sour soup with extra vinegar and soy sauce added. And of course with any of those soups, my husband had to pile on the hot chili oil. Great stuff.