"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I found it!!!! This is so good! Even pumpkin purists like it -

* Exported from MasterCook *
Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 1/3 cups flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. each: cinnamon -- nutmeg, salt
4 eggs -- lightly beaten
2 cups canned pure pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup chopped nuts
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate -- melted, cooled
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar -- sifted
4 Tbsps. cold water -- (4 to 6)
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate -- melted, cooled
2 tsps. hot water -- (2 to 4)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil and water in a medium bowl. Stir into the flour mixture; mix just until blended. Fold in the nuts.

2. Transfer 2 cups of the batter to a small bowl, stir in the melted chocolate. Spoon half of the remaining plain batter into the two greased and floured 9-by-5-inch loaf pans; spoon half the chocolate batter over the top of each pan. Spoon remaining plain batter evenly over the chocolate batter in each pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack.

3. For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and cold water in a small bowl until the right drizzling consistency. Transfer half of the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in chocolate and enough of the hot water to make the right consistency for drizzling. Drizzle white and chocolate glazes in a zigzag pattern on each loaf.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Ok guys, you got me craving a good ol' fashioned pumpkin pie.... must go check the pantry for needed ingredients......

Let see......

cinnamon check
clove check
salt check
sugar check
pumpkin

Ok, off to the store I go!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

We try to grow winter squash, mainly for the goats, but some for us too, try to grow enough for the both of us! We had about 10 years where we did not grow any because of a virus or something that was killing the plants very early on in the season. I think we are into our third year now growing them again and things look good so far.

Am growing a variety I had not heard of before, Long Island Cheese, supposed to be an heirloom, the standard for pies long ago. But mainly I grow Waltham Butternut.

If I remember correctly, I was taught that canned pumpkin is not pumpkin at all, it is butternut..
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page27.html and this link confirms this.

I crave one pumpkin pie yearly, with real whipped cream, lately I make it crustless, I guess it is a custard then?? None of my squash are ready yet. And I am lusting after some sweet potatoes too, I may not be able to hold off on those. Any one tried to eat sweet potatoes this early in the season??

I will post a picture of last years butternut crop in a bit....
Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

this is our 2005 butternut squash crop, lotsa medium to small fruits, but it took us all through the winter......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4298.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1754  
Old 08-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
me... I also love pumpkin bread :)
Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
All things pumpkin are great!!!! Pumpkin pie is one of those things that a knife has to be left in to grab a slice every time we pass the frig!!!

Has anyone tried -

Pumpkin Martini

3 oz. Infused Spiced Pumpkin Vodka
1 oz. Amaretto
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds for Garnish

Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Stir gently and strain into a chilled cocktail glass

I have a Chocolate-Pumpkin loaf that we just love - can't remember where I put the darn recipe...will look.
Did someone just say pumpkin martini???? Who makes this vodka???
Old 08-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
If I remember correctly, I was taught that canned pumpkin is not pumpkin at all, it is butternut..
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page27.html and this link confirms this.

If a can (or any product) of pumpkin puree says it's only ingredient is pureed pumpkin it would be illegal to have anything else in that can other than pumpkin. If it says pumpkin, it's got to be pumpkin.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
If a can (or any product) of pumpkin puree says it's only ingredient is pureed pumpkin it would be illegal to have anything else in that can other than pumpkin. If it says pumpkin, it's got to be pumpkin.
Nope, I'm about 100% sure on this one...it's been going on for so long, it has been "grandfathered" in. Pork and beans is another case, been called pork and beans for so long......but pork is not the primary ingredient, beans are, but they are not called, beans and pork.

Am quite sure canned pumpkin is butternut squash...
Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Calling something pork and beans doesn't necessarily mean that pork is the main ingredient, but pork is listed in the ingredients because it's in the product. Same thing with fruit juices. Juice could look like grape juice, and even have grapes pictured on the label...but even if it's mostly pear juice and corn syrup...if it says grape in the name, on the label, it positively has to be listed as an ingredient, even if it's a nano-ounce.

I have to disagree with you again. If the product is called 'pureed pumpkin' and pumpkin is listed as the only ingredient (as is the case is almost all canned pumpkin products) then the product sure as 'heck' better be pumpkin in that can. It's called truth in advertisinig, and the buyer is guaranteed the absolute truth when it comes to an ingredient list. There is no legal way around this, grandfather or no.

Your information reminds me of other 'urban legends'...like the one that has been circulating for years that KFC uses chickens born with missing body parts.

If you consider the nature of society today, and the rampant use of lawsuits, there is no way any company would risk not being completely truthful when it comes to an ingredient list. Aside from being unethical, it's illegal..
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
In the fall and winter, I put pumpkin (instead of fruit) in my oatmeal with pumpkin pie spice and milk.

I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water for more vitamins and calcium.
This is a great idea - do you use canned pumpkin and just stir it in as the oatmeal is thickening up?

I am also a pumpkin lover!