Who's ready for pumpkin pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
While I'm not quite there, yet...it's not going to be overmuch longer before I'm ready for pumpkin pie, apple pie, mulled wine, buttered rum...

It's been a fantastic summer so far. We went to Punta Cana back in June, down the shore just last week, Belmar every saturday, bike riding..all the great things you can do in summer...but I'm just about ready for the season to change.

I love making pumpkin pie from milk pumpkins, they are kind of squat and dusty looking. I think they are also referred to as cheese pumpkins because they resemble a wheel of cheese. It makes for a much brighter coloured pie. Having said that, I find the Libby's canned pumpkin to be of superior quality and will happily use it when I don't have the time or inclination to deal with fresh pumpkin.

I'm a pumpkin junkie, so I imagine I'll be all over any pumpkin topics.

I think cool whip on pumpkin pie is sacrilege....nothing but fresh whipped cream..
and pumpkin muffins, and pumpkin coffee cake, and pumpkin cheesecake, and pumpkin soup, and pumpkin ravioli, and pumpkn gnocchi, and pumpkin creme brulee, :rolleyes:

In the fall and winter, I put pumpkin (instead of fruit) in my oatmeal with pumpkin pie spice and milk.

I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water for more vitamins and calcium.

One of my favorites is pumpkin cupcakes. And I am so in the mood for a nice warm apple pie. I was at a store today and they had a dish that you bake the apple pie in. The one were it show the recipes printed right in the dish. They also had one for the pumpkin pie. They were regular $9.99 on sale for $6.99. I just might go back tomorrow and get one. It would also make a nice gift. :)

Half Baked and JoAnn

I always use steel cut Irish oats for oatmeal, so I cook it in milk. I never even considered spooning some pumpkin into the oatmeal and now I simply must! thank you so much for that suggestion.

And JoAnn, hahahahaha, I have both of those pie plates, the apple one and the pumpkin one. If you plan to use the recipe on the plate, may I suggest you write it down before you put the bottom crust in!:wacko: When I was younger, I made the mistake of trying the recipe but covering the :censored: thing with the crust without writing it down!

All things pumpkin are great!!!! Pumpkin pie is one of those things that a knife has to be left in to grab a slice every time we pass the frig!!!

Has anyone tried -

Pumpkin Martini

3 oz. Infused Spiced Pumpkin Vodka
1 oz. Amaretto
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds for Garnish

Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Stir gently and strain into a chilled cocktail glass

I have a Chocolate-Pumpkin loaf that we just love - can't remember where I put the darn recipe...will look.

Dinner tonight ! August 23rd

Well, think we are having oven roasted Beer can chicken,w/dry rub, sweet corn, :chef: mashed potatoes, and Paula Deen's - garlic cheese biscuits ! Doing two, son, daughter-inlaw and 2 grandsons will be here too-------------- and of course ice cream cones for the litte ones.:-p

I just LOVE pumpkin. We have it often. Last year kabocha squash was notably absent from the supermarkets in London so it was with utter glee I bought one here in Milan. I think this one is destined to be soup. I make a deeply morish thick pumpkin soup and if their are any left overs we hae it as a sauce over pasta the next day. Pumpkin pie is one of my favourite foods in the whole world, but neither my husband nor I are above simply putting a pumpkin in the oven til its soft, de seeding it and greedily eating the flesh with a spoon as the ultimate easy supper.

I am going to make pumpkin pie from scratch (instead of with canned pumkin- we get Libby's here too!) for the first time this year. I just cannot wait. I could it it day in day out. One of the best things about DC as far as I am concerned is the number of pumpkin recipes....in UK it is so overlooked.

I'm moving this to Cakes.

The Bon Appetit Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe

Last edited:
I found it!!!!:chef: :chef: This is so good! Even pumpkin purists like it -

* Exported from MasterCook *
Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 1/3 cups flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. each: cinnamon -- nutmeg, salt
4 eggs -- lightly beaten
2 cups canned pure pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup chopped nuts
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate -- melted, cooled
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar -- sifted
4 Tbsps. cold water -- (4 to 6)
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate -- melted, cooled
2 tsps. hot water -- (2 to 4)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil and water in a medium bowl. Stir into the flour mixture; mix just until blended. Fold in the nuts.

2. Transfer 2 cups of the batter to a small bowl, stir in the melted chocolate. Spoon half of the remaining plain batter into the two greased and floured 9-by-5-inch loaf pans; spoon half the chocolate batter over the top of each pan. Spoon remaining plain batter evenly over the chocolate batter in each pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack.

3. For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and cold water in a small bowl until the right drizzling consistency. Transfer half of the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in chocolate and enough of the hot water to make the right consistency for drizzling. Drizzle white and chocolate glazes in a zigzag pattern on each loaf.

Ok guys, you got me craving a good ol' fashioned pumpkin pie.... must go check the pantry for needed ingredients......

Let see......

cinnamon check
clove check
salt check
sugar check
pumpkin :angry:

Ok, off to the store I go!!!!!!!

We try to grow winter squash, mainly for the goats, but some for us too, try to grow enough for the both of us! We had about 10 years where we did not grow any because of a virus or something that was killing the plants very early on in the season. I think we are into our third year now growing them again and things look good so far.

Am growing a variety I had not heard of before, Long Island Cheese, supposed to be an heirloom, the standard for pies long ago. But mainly I grow Waltham Butternut.

If I remember correctly, I was taught that canned pumpkin is not pumpkin at all, it is butternut..
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page27.html and this link confirms this.

I crave one pumpkin pie yearly, with real whipped cream, lately I make it crustless, I guess it is a custard then?? None of my squash are ready yet. And I am lusting after some sweet potatoes too, I may not be able to hold off on those. Any one tried to eat sweet potatoes this early in the season??

I will post a picture of last years butternut crop in a bit....

this is our 2005 butternut squash crop, lotsa medium to small fruits, but it took us all through the winter......

Attachments

• DSCF4298.JPG
    DSCF4298.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 168
cjs said:
All things pumpkin are great!!!! Pumpkin pie is one of those things that a knife has to be left in to grab a slice every time we pass the frig!!!

Has anyone tried -

Pumpkin Martini

3 oz. Infused Spiced Pumpkin Vodka
1 oz. Amaretto
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds for Garnish

Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Stir gently and strain into a chilled cocktail glass

I have a Chocolate-Pumpkin loaf that we just love - can't remember where I put the darn recipe...will look.

Did someone just say pumpkin martini????:w00t2: Who makes this vodka???

bethzaring said:
If I remember correctly, I was taught that canned pumpkin is not pumpkin at all, it is butternut..
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page27.html and this link confirms this.

If a can (or any product) of pumpkin puree says it's only ingredient is pureed pumpkin it would be illegal to have anything else in that can other than pumpkin. If it says pumpkin, it's got to be pumpkin.

VeraBlue said:
If a can (or any product) of pumpkin puree says it's only ingredient is pureed pumpkin it would be illegal to have anything else in that can other than pumpkin. If it says pumpkin, it's got to be pumpkin.

Nope, I'm about 100% sure on this one...it's been going on for so long, it has been "grandfathered" in. Pork and beans is another case, been called pork and beans for so long......but pork is not the primary ingredient, beans are, but they are not called, beans and pork.

Am quite sure canned pumpkin is butternut squash...

Calling something pork and beans doesn't necessarily mean that pork is the main ingredient, but pork is listed in the ingredients because it's in the product. Same thing with fruit juices. Juice could look like grape juice, and even have grapes pictured on the label...but even if it's mostly pear juice and corn syrup...if it says grape in the name, on the label, it positively has to be listed as an ingredient, even if it's a nano-ounce.

I have to disagree with you again. If the product is called 'pureed pumpkin' and pumpkin is listed as the only ingredient (as is the case is almost all canned pumpkin products) then the product sure as 'heck' better be pumpkin in that can. It's called truth in advertisinig, and the buyer is guaranteed the absolute truth when it comes to an ingredient list. There is no legal way around this, grandfather or no.

Your information reminds me of other 'urban legends'...like the one that has been circulating for years that KFC uses chickens born with missing body parts.

If you consider the nature of society today, and the rampant use of lawsuits, there is no way any company would risk not being completely truthful when it comes to an ingredient list. Aside from being unethical, it's illegal..:chef:

Half Baked said:
In the fall and winter, I put pumpkin (instead of fruit) in my oatmeal with pumpkin pie spice and milk.

I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water for more vitamins and calcium.

This is a great idea - do you use canned pumpkin and just stir it in as the oatmeal is thickening up?

I am also a pumpkin lover!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom