"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #31
Master Chef
I agree that it's a combination of 3 things - time, interest, & upbringing.

I'm now 50, & grew up in a household where my mom was a homemaker & cooked every day, & my dad cooked on weekends. And boy, could they cook!!! My parents were cooking ethnic dishes long before they became popular. Mom would rather eat worms & die than serve us Chung King canned Chinese or Spaghetti O's. So I grew up with an intense interest in all different kinds of foods, & even as a small child was willing to try anything once. In fact, that was a rule my parents instituted. They never forced us to eat something we didn't like, but if it was something new, we HAD to take at least one bite. We couldn't just look at it & decide we didn't want it.

Now, for comparison - our next-door neighbor was also a homemaker, but she absolutely HATED to cook, & the family grew up on hamburgers, spaghetti, scrambled eggs, steak & potatoes etc. for their meals. The husband was a terrific fisherman (as was/is my dad), but wouldn't eat fish if you gave him a million dollars, so we received everything he brought home (yum). Whenever we had them over for dinner, it was a tossup as to whether or not any of them would eat what mom would make - regardless of how simple. The coup de grace was when they had Xmas dinner with us & the kids asked for ketchup to poor over my mom's wonderful roast goose!!! I thought she was going to faint - lol!! None of those 3 kids (& I know them into adulthood - 2 girls, 1 boy) liked or wanted to learn to cook. Although, the boy did get better, mostly due to dating women who did like to cook.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #32
Head Chef
I see it all the time. The big one I think is That years ago they use to Teach Home Economics in the schools where girls and boys learned the basic of cooking - sewing- cleaning- laundry and handling a household budget. with alot of budget cuts to schools they have cut that out. I have seen young couples in the groceries stores and buying all the premade items that will last one meal insted of buying a whole chicken and then the veggies and it would last a couple of days. And instead of sewing on a button they just throw it out and buy new. Also the household budget is run daily not look down the road to events coming. I am not looking forward to growin old and have this younger generation in charge.
I believe in the old saying:
Give the person a fish they eat for the day, Teach the person to fish and they eat forever.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by unmuzzleme
...cooking/baking has become a hobby. Like other hobbies, it is not a necessity, but merely a means of entertainment and self-satisfaction...a craft, like knitting or crocheting. The hobby of cooking is competing with all the other hobbies of 25, 50, 75 years ago and more, in addition to all the hobbies of the electronics/computer/television generation...

This could be the single most frightening statement about cooking to date.

We don't cook because we have eating options.
A variety of eating options makes cooking dinner no longer a necessity. You don't have to do it, you just do it because it's fun.
Doesn't that makes it a hobby?

Then you lose the family interaction around the dinner table.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #34
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by SierraCook
The reason why people don't cook is because the opt out for the easier route. Why spend the time in the kitchen when you can get fastfood or take out from the local Mexican restaurant? I also think that most families have too much to distract them from cooking and grocery shopping like getting the kids to soccer, cheerleading, or other functions.

But on the other hand when my parents were raising my brother and I, my mom always managed to have a hot meal on the table every night. She also packed our lunches well until we were in high school. My brother and I had many extracurricular activities that also took up alot of her time and she still managed. Also, when we where older she held down two jobs and we where expected to help with getting dinner and breakfast on the table. Both my brother and I learned to cook at an early age out of necessity to help her out. Which I am glad that I learned to cook, no top ramen or macaroni dinners for me when I was living on my own.

I also think that some of today's children are not expected to help out around the house as in past. My brother and I had chores that we were assigned on a weekly basis. This helped my parents to do other things like preparing family meals, going on family outings, etc.

Lastly, going out to dinner for me is a treat. I love to cook for friends and family and would rather do so than go out to a meal in a restaurant. Plus, lately the restaurants I have been to have not met my expectations. They are too expensive for the quality of food that I received, but that is another topic.
again, now how much control do YOU have over the salt & sugar content in all the pre-packaged and fast foods that kids eat today?

and we continue to wonder why there's soooo much childhood obesity, etc.

at the same time, how many ladies here want/desire/ask for expensive dinner tables... and they don't cook. if EVERYONE is eating fastfood, takeout, or pre-packaged, in-front of the TV set, or eating while driving, why do you need a dinner table?

and since no one is sitting down, enjoying dinner together... i wonder what impact that has had on the traditional american family where you ACTUALLY had discussions with your parents & kids over dinner.
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #35
Executive Chef
Some of us did teach our children how to cook nutritious, delicious foods. They learned at my side, the same as I learned from my Mum and grandmothers.

Even though there are only the two of us at home nowadays, we always eat dinner at the dining table with the correct plates, cutlery etc.

The next generation of my family also do it!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #36
Assistant Cook
How young is considered young? I'm 26 yrs old now... i cooked almost alternate days or as and when i am free. Surprising my cooking skills wasn't passed down from my mum CAUSE to my mum.... she would rather i donno how to cook @ all... BUt somehow its my interests since young to learn how to cook n bake myself without attending any classes....

I still remember... the 1st time i really cook is fry rice when i am 10yrs... and fr then on.. i will try new dishes AND one day... i scalded by hand by oil & it leave a deep scar on my palm... :(

But luckily nw... it faded .... and i'm proud to say... i can cook rather well compared to many of my frenz....
The way to a man's heart is thru is stomach..

bubblygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #37
Hospitality Queen
Originally Posted by black chef
..............at the same time, how many ladies here want/desire/ask for expensive dinner tables... and they don't cook. if EVERYONE is eating fastfood, takeout, or pre-packaged, in-front of the TV set, or eating while driving, why do you need a dinner table?
Excellent point! I liked watching "trading spouses", and often saw these women who had professionally styled giant kitchens....who couldn't/wouldn't cook!

I think this site shows us that, while many people are reaching for their to-go sacks of food, those of us here, who are passionate about food and cooking will no doubt pass on our love of this to our friends and children.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #38
Senior Cook
My daughter is 25 and is a wonderful cook. My son is as well and he's 22 although he's deffinately not a lady. LOL They both love to cook and experment in the kitchen but maybe it's due to growing up in a family that loves to cook and try new things. My great neice is 6 and she loves to cook as well. Both my neices on my hubby's side of the family are good cooks too and I think they enjoy cooking., they're in their early 30's.
southerncooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #39
Master Chef
yep, southerncooker, as a 25-yr. old, i appreciate your response to this thread. i will cook my felines meals, let alone myself, & look forward to such. some nights i may order in or go out for dinner, yet i cook & enjoy it.
why group an entire generation as 'non-cooks'? my Mom is 48 & only cooks like 5x/yr. i cook quite often. this thread was thoroughly rude.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #40
It would be really nice if high schools offered culinary art classes. Not everyone is cut out to go to college, but learning to be a chef would be a great profession and it is something that could be taught at the high school level.
When my son was in high school, he took German as his foreign language. He was in German Club and German Nat'l Honor Society. As part of German Club & German Nat'l Honor Society, they each had to prepare an authentic German dish. My son prepared a sauerkraut soup. (not my cup-o-soup--as they say), but he said everyone in the club LOVED it.
I think it would be great if kids were taught how to cook different ethnic foods. Mexican food is very big in my area. (Tex Mex that is). I wish I knew how to cook Asian cuisine (since I love it). We actually have a junior college here that offers culinary classes.
I am not much on fast food. We have a home cooked meal every night except Friday & Saturday night. Those are usually pizza or bar-b-que nights unless we go out to eat. Sunday is definitely home cooked (roast, roasted chicken, fresh fish/shrimp, grilled foods). I'm glad (and proud) my kid knows how to cook.

txoldshirley is offline   Reply With Quote