"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Why don't today's younger ladies cook?

simple question... and i don't want to start any trouble, but why don't today's younger ladies cook?

i haven't met a woman in YEARS that's even remotely interested in making a nice, homecooked meal... for me, for her family, for herself, etc.

it's always, red lobster, olive garden, etc.

what's up with that?

Old 07-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
simple question... and i don't want to start any trouble, but why don't today's younger ladies cook?

i haven't met a woman in YEARS that's even remotely interested in making a nice, homecooked meal... for me, for her family, for herself, etc.

it's always, red lobster, olive garden, etc.

what's up with that?
I think it's mainly because most women are in the workforce now as opposed to in the past. Many don't cook for the same reason that the men don't cook: lack of time.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I couldn't have said it better IC. You hit the nail on the head.

It used to be that the men when to work and the woman stayed home. They had time to do the shopping and cooking and cleaning. That is no longer the case. From my experiences, the only people I see who cook now are those who have an interest in cooking. The rise of convenience foods has also made it possible for people to go to the store and buy dinner already made instead of cooking it on their own.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Master Chef

My niece in law, just doesn't care to cook. A lot of them didn't have the mom cooking dinner every night because of work, and just don't know how or don't have time themselves because they are young and want to go out and have fun, not stay at home while their friends are out having fun. Once they settle down with their significate other, they usually start cooking more and more and start to enjoy it. Sometimes it's better when the guy will cook with them. It makes it fun instead of a chore and we don't need more chores!! LOL
Old 07-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

GB, you brought up another good point: lack of interest. That's another very key factor that could have possibly started from childhood. Maybe if one didn't have a lot of family dinners growing up, or if their parents relied mostly on take out/convenience foods themselves, that would translate to what they would know when they're living on their own. I do know a couple of people who that's happened to. I used to be jealous because they would always be eating restaurant food for breakfast and dinner, but now if you put them into a kitchen they'd have a hard time boiling a potato.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Cook

Well, speaking for myself (although I'm not all that young anymore), I grew up in a family where my mother did stay home and cook every night. But she didn't enjoy cooking, so it was pretty much just a rotation of the same stuff over and over. And I did not see her enjoying what she was doing, so it just never occurred to me to learn.

Then I went off to college, got a job, got busy, got married (still had a job) and either ate out every night, or cooked a boxed or frozen meal. I was active in a large social group so I was often busy in the evenings, as well.

It wasn't until I moved to Texas, moved in with my boyfriend and his son, and lost contact with my social group, that I developed an interest in cooking. First, as a way to save money and then just got into cooking itself as time went on.

So, I'd say - a) lots of other things competing for a young woman's attention these days, more so than in the past. And b) not being passed down as a skill / interest from parents, as it was in the past.

Valerie
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

ummmm. well, we do cook.
i'm 25 & in Chef school.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Senior Cook

There's another reason and it's valid for men too. THEIR mother's didn't teach them. I mean, what's to teach about the drive through line? Face is, many youngesters (and I'm talking 30 and below) were raised on "clown cooking."

Ciao,
Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

steveA-
my Dad cooked for my family for yrs. i got too old & left; Dad cooks as of yet. he's 50.
it needn't be Mom cooking. Dad's cook, too, & very deliciously!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigirl
Well, speaking for myself (although I'm not all that young anymore), I grew up in a family where my mother did stay home and cook every night. But she didn't enjoy cooking, so it was pretty much just a rotation of the same stuff over and over. And I did not see her enjoying what she was doing, so it just never occurred to me to learn.

Then I went off to college, got a job, got busy, got married (still had a job) and either ate out every night, or cooked a boxed or frozen meal. I was active in a large social group so I was often busy in the evenings, as well.

It wasn't until I moved to Texas, moved in with my boyfriend and his son, and lost contact with my social group, that I developed an interest in cooking. First, as a way to save money and then just got into cooking itself as time went on.

So, I'd say - a) lots of other things competing for a young woman's attention these days, more so than in the past. And b) not being passed down as a skill / interest from parents, as it was in the past.

Valerie
that's the main thing i see... most women don't even bother teaching/showing their kids, both males & females, how to cook.

i'm from the deep south where the men did/do all the cooking-esp. for outdoor cookouts.

and you have obesity... AMONGST KIDS!!!! and you have obesity AMONGST ADULTS!!! everyone is eating-out and NOT controlling the salt/sugar intake, not eating fresh, wholesome foods, and not even taking the time to actually ENJOY a meal.