Why Woman Can't Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha...

Yes, he is of course, writing to ensure the best possible reaction. Writes like to push buttons and exaggerate.

I guess since in my house their are two women, we don't eat well EVER! :)

...never trust writers. bunch of walter mittys.

i'm gonna have to go back and read the second half.
Hey! I write. I have 4 cookbooks, and three completed novels, two of which are fantasy, and one science fiction.

:( Sniff, sniff. Now I feel unloved, and by a guy who shares my birthday.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey! I write. I have 4 cookbooks, and three completed novels, two of which are fantasy, and one science fiction.

:( Sniff, sniff. Now I feel unloved, and by a guy who shares my birthday.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

you'll never be unloved gw. not here. :)

my dad was a writer for the associated press, so he always warned me using that old saying "don't believe everything you read, and only half of what you see."
i knew many of the writers he worked with, and the most exciting and dangerous thing that they did on any given day was take a subway into work.

but give them a typewriter and a cigar to chomp on, and they'd spin a fantastic tale of heroic proportions.

it falls along the lines of one of the interesting parts of the movie "good will hunting". will could tell you all about the sistine chapel, but having never been there before, he couldn't tell you what it looks like as the sun enters at different times of the day, or what the air smelled like, etc..

gw, you've actually lived your life, therefore have all the right to write anything you should so desire, and be respected for it.

i'm just not so sure about what the air around you smells like... :cool:

Last edited:
I agree with those that said the main purpose of the article was humor and to get a rise out of people. He certainly did accomplish that, as did her rebuttal.

I know plenty of women, personally and via media (i.e. FoodNetwork) that can do more then just hold their own in the kitchen.

Mrs. Big Dog and I more or less share the cooking duties. When it comes to baking, she does the lion's share, and I help sometimes. We don't bake a lot anyway, but I don't like baking because recipes are actually formulas that if altered can have a disastrous effect on the outcome. I probably do more of the actual meal cooking, though. It'll be 9 years in December, and it's worked well for us so far.

I agree with those that said the main purpose of the article was humor and to get a rise out of people. He certainly did accomplish that, as did her rebuttal.

I know plenty of women, personally and via media (i.e. FoodNetwork) that can do more then just hold their own in the kitchen.

Mrs. Big Dog and I more or less share the cooking duties. When it comes to baking, she does the lion's share, and I help sometimes. We don't bake a lot anyway, but I don't like baking because recipes are actually formulas that if altered can have a disastrous effect on the outcome...

I've heard this argument a thousand times. Baking is a formula. Baking is a formula. Big deal. And BigDog, this is not directed at you, but at those who foist this misinformation at us.

My pancakes are the same recipe used for a basic white cake. Only, the cake has more sugar in it and is multiplied by a factor of three. My pancake recipe is also the basis for a host of quickbreads, muffins, even biscuits. And my bread recipes are made without recipes. They share one thing in common; three cups of flour are used to make one kitchen loaf pan sized bread-loaf.

Even in the sciences, the formulas are basic lists of ingredients and techniques used to produce some thing. By altering the formula, new discoveries, somtimes better, sometimes worse are made. Usually, a fair bit of knowledge is present in the individual doing the experimentation about what might or even probably will happen when the formula is changed. Even then, the formula usually has to be tweeked and monitored to obtain the best-case results.

Don't be intimdated by baking. It's really not as difficult as most people think (except for recreating my Mothers bread dressing/stuffing, Still ahven't got it right.). You just learn and memorize some basics, and then modify from there. Someone said, and I concurr, you must know the rules before you can successfully break them.

Interesting article that took far too many words to make the point.

I've been cooking for almost 50 years. Started out of necessity when I was a wee one.

My first husband couldn't believe how delicious ALL my cooking efforts were. I won Buck by regular Wednesday night gourmet dinners when we were dating.

When our children were small, I rarely served pasta "swimming" in stuff. I love to cook and made a point to prepare eye-appealing and tasty dishes for my family. Still do, even though it's just the two of us.

All 5 of our children (4 sons and 1 daughter) can handle themselves quite well in the kitchen. Buck is an awesome cook, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom