"Windows On The World" Chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Obviously, the 9/11 tragedy put an end to the "Windows On The World" restaurant atop the World Trade Center.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to their executive chef? He was a tall dark-haired guy - first name was Michael; last name escapes me.

Before he became associated with the Windows restaurant, he had a couple of cooking shows on TV. After 9/11, he appeared to drop completely out of sight, yet I do not recall reading/hearing that he was in the restaurant or building during the attack.

Anyone here know if he's still around?

Michael Lomonaco.

He survived becasue he was picking up glasses in the big mall under the WTC.

He has appeared on a bunch of tv shows as a guest chef and had a gig on the Travel Channel.

Many of the surviving staff got together to open another restuarnat in TriBeCa (i think that's where it is supposed to be). Don't know if its up and running or whther he is involved.

He has a new restaurant. Read about what he's doing here.

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!! I always enjoyed his "pre-Windows" cooking shows, but for the life of me couldn't remember his last name - just that he wasn't among the restaurant personnel who were up there during the tragedy.

Again thanks so much for the info!!!

Thanks Half Baked - that was great.

Obviously, without his last name, I couldn't do any searching. And a search for "Windows On The World" brought up more 9/11 stuff than I wanted to sift through. Way too sad to think about.

Michael Lomonoco had a show on the FoodTV network when it was just honest to goodness chefs teaching us how to cook and no entertainment. His show was called "Michael's Place" and I loved it. He made some to the best dishes ever and no band, skits, costumes or silly stuff. I still see him on Epicurious. You might want to sift through your TV guide to find the channel in your area. It's worth watching.

Thanks Drama Queen. I do remember his show. As I fondly remember the rest of FoodTV before it went "Hollywood".

When Food Network first started, they were not only showing wonderful new programs like Michael Lomonaco & Emeril (before he got too big for his britches), but also the old Julia Child "French Chef" & Graham Kerr shows, among others. I used to almost watch that channel 24/7 back then.

Now it's just a showcase for a bare few - Rachael Ray, Giada, & Emeril - for the most part. I rarely bother switching it on now.

I guess Giada was getting jealous, because now she has her own travel show to compete with Rachael Ray's gazillion travel shows. As for Emeril? Heck, as soon as he went the audience route, his cooking went way downhill.

And yes, I'm sure they're all "wonderful" people in their own right. They donate to charity, kiss babies, yadayadayada.

But frankly, they'll NEVER EVER come up to the cooking show standards set by Julia & the rest of the original gang. Those were actual COOKING SHOWS - not Hollywood extravaganzas.

Just my opinion, I know. But I stand by it - lol!!

He has opened a new place in the big center at Central Park South. He is very much part of NYC's and America's food scene.

Michael Lomonaco has a program on the Travel Channel (TRV) called Epicurious - currently they air two 30-minute episodes every morning at 9:00am and 9:30am EST. Here is their daily schedule - and you can look at the weekly schedule for Epicurious ....

All of the recipes from the Epicurious TV episodes can be found at Epicurious.Com

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm so pleased to hear that he's still on/in the food scene & that I can "find" him now.

Again - thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom