Winner, Winner, What's For Dinner?? Sunday 2/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
We will be enjoying a pot roast cooked with pearl onions, carrots and mushrooms and served with mashed potatoes.

Omelet with roasted red peppers, green onions and asparagus, Hollandaise sauce poured on.

I found this recipe called Italian Beef Tortellini Stew in Healthy Cooking magazine I want to try if I can drag my sorry butt to the grocery store to get some stew meat, zucchini and baby spinach before dinner. It's a one pot meal, so buttered sourdough and a 2009 Cantine di Ora Barbera d'Asti should be all I need to round it out

We had the World's Greatest Pancakes for brunch. I have some boneless pork chops thawing. If they thaw in time for dinner, we'll have chops in onion sauce with mashed taters and green beans. If they are not, we'll have nachos.

Its our annual Family Day chili cookoff. Bugs and I have both prepared an entry. I'll let you all know how we do!

I just finished making stock with the carcass, skin and wings from the rotisserie chicken. My place smells soooo good!

Dinner will be split peas and ham from the freezer. Gotta make room for the stock!

We're going to have fried chicken done sort of like KFC extra-crispy, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn-on-the-cob, brussels sprouts, iced tea and haven't decided what we'll have for dessert. All the pistachio swirl cake is gone.:( With all that'll be on the table for dinner, we probably won't have room for dessert. We'll just have to dessert the table.:LOL:

We're going to have fried chicken done sort of like KFC extra-crispy, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn-on-the-cob, brussels sprouts, iced tea and haven't decided what we'll have for dessert. All the pistachio swirl cake is gone.:( With all that'll be on the table for dinner, we probably won't have room for dessert. We'll just have to dessert the table.:LOL:

I'm having KFC :LOL:

I just finished making stock with the carcass, skin and wings from the rotisserie chicken. My place smells soooo good!

Dinner will be split peas and ham from the freezer. Gotta make room for the stock!

Nice! What herbs do you use in your stock?

I like sage, pepper, rosemary and a tiny bit of garlic.

We had brunch after church, so won't be very hungry. DH will probably want just a salad and that'll do for me,too.

Pork Schnitzel with cheesey baked spaetzle.

I've never had baked spaetzle, cheesey or otherwise, RL. But it sounds intriguing.
Care to share the recipe?
I have adapted this from a common recipe that I have come across quite a few times. Basically, I make my spaetzle as normal then, when it is drained I put it back in the pot I just boiled it in, stir in a tblsp butter, about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, Gruyere or cheddar, or both, and a bit of milk to make it all saucey. Then pour it into an oven proof baking dish and top with a bit more cheese and parsley. Bake for about 20 minutes at 375 until bubbly and brown. Done.
You can add many things if you wish. I see lots of recipes out there with ham and onions, I would think it would be good with brats, or knockwurst, even franks......

I put some Rancho Gordo Cargamento Cranberry Beans along with turkey stock, water, diced red onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and a couple bay leaves and pepper to taste, into the crock pot to cook for a few hours. In the meantime I've made some sausage that has rosemary, nutmeg, s/p, and pistachios in it. I'll make that into mini meatballs and bake them off and then into the pot of beans later along with some red cabbage to ultimately become a soup. I have dough in the bread machine that will be turned into fresh baguettes to enjoy with the soup.
Wine selection is still in the air at this point. DS and his fiance and a long time family friend will be over for dinner.

Pork shops and stuffing and a salad. Finishing the leftovers from last night's dinner that everyone else had.

Something with the ham I baked earlier today. We already had some for lunch with coleslaw and roasted cauliflower.

Ah! It just came to me. Scalloped potatoes and ham with green onion.

Last edited:
Nice! What herbs do you use in your stock?

I like sage, pepper, rosemary and a tiny bit of garlic.

Thanks!

The rotisserie chicken was already well seasoned, that's the main reason I included the skin. The only seasonings I added were additional garlic, dried onion and a little oregano.

When Making fresh stock, I use whatever suits my fancy that day. I like to use a good tablespoon of either thyme, oregano or basil. Onions and garlic go in always.

I usually start with a chicken thigh, and remove it when it's cooked but not overdone. If I want a stronger stock, I strip and save the meat, and put the bones and skin back in and simmer, covered for another hour or so.

I don't use rosemary any more. It raises my blood pressure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom