Winter Blues Get Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
The green chilies are not that hot. They have a certain "flavor". You can definitely use your dried peppers though - I plan on spicing mine up more this time too. I was going to do it via ground red pepper but I think I will add some chili flakes now that you mentioned that. I am still going to add the green chilies, like I said, they lend that certain flavor that only they can lend.
I am going to use the green chilies as you suggest - I am sending you the hot peppers out tomorrow and look forward to the BBQ sauce - will pm my addy to you!! Can not wait to try this meal on Saturday!!

I would love to participate this weekend. I remember doing this several months ago on this forum & it was fun - helped me to decide what to make. BUT - I will be doing a meal for the homeless shelter on Sat. & a church meal on Sunday. I'll tell you what I'm planning, maybe that will give you some ideas.

Shelter Meal
Baked Ham
Cheesy Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Scalloped Corn
Buttermilk Dinner Rolls

Sunday Church Meal - the theme this month is Comfort Food
Homemade Tomato Soup
Grilled Cheese Sammiches (Not sure how I'm going to handle doing a large quantity of them yet. Any ideas?)

Corinne

Chicken & dumplings sounds sooooo good! I wonder, however, about vegetarians. Maybe a quiche, some could add meat, some not?

Something green and healthy needs to be there, I think. Mustard greens w/ 50 tons of garlic?

Do we get dessert?:)

I'm wanting to see the Chicken and dumplin's, though I have to say winter reminds me of Granpappy King (RIP) he made the best turtle dumplin!

wow...awesome thread!!

I'm not a Bobby Flay fan, but my wife and I aren't happy unless there's some kind of chili in it:)

that being said, I don't know of any of forumites live near New Mexico/Colorado......but Hatch green chilies have the best lowheat-high flavor of any green chilies I've had. I usually throw some into the cornbread, next time I do chicken and dumplings I'm putting some in the dumpling dough:chef:

Oh no, they way this worked is that everyone was supposed to make a "comfort food" meal on the weekend in question and we'd all toast our friends at DC as we ate it.

We used to try to put together a menu that we would all cook on the same day and we would all raise a glass to toast absent friends and know that we are all eating "together" even though we are apart.

I'd happily start a new thread for us to try it this coming weekend if there are folks who are game. Post here if you want to give it a go.

OY!

Thank you for the suggestions all. I am loving the ones I have read so far. Keep them coming and stay tuned for the actual menu which will be posted tomorrow.

This made me think you were going to pick.

Anyway, I'm in. We're getting a different weather front in the next 2 days. Back to humidity and Sept. weather.
I'll just turn the A/C way down!

It did get posted...just a couple of years ago in a different thread! PLEASE don't make me rack my brain to remember!

Hey, we don't have to do this theme...you got one you'd like to do quicksilver? Why don't you put a menu together for this weekend and post it? We'll all chime in and join you.

I'm in!!!
Sunday is good here, having legogirls' party on Saturday...
but I suppose that doesn't matter much!

And you have the nerve to call me a brat????? :ermm:

I have not yet made a pot of chili - my thoughts/suggestions will be narrowed down to:

chicken and slippery dumplings
chili
some form of potato soup
and by cheesy spoon bread goes with ALL of these :chef:

EDITED TO SAY: I will do mine on Sunday (Saturday is "take me out" night)
What are slippery dumplings? Homemade noodles??? That is what I make.

Back
Top Bottom