Winter Blues Get Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
All right people, I think we need to plan a meal together. This weekend, lets all make the same thing and when we sit down to eat think of all our friends at DC that we would like to be sharing the meal with and toast to good friends.

Since it is getting DANG chilly here a winter "comfort food" meal is in order. Can I have some suggestions for a menu? I will post the final menu tomorrow so we can all have time to prep.

Wicked idea Alix!

Don't go all out on us though. Not everybody will have time to make a big complicated meal. Especially at the same time.

Comfort food by its very nature means "uncomplicated" gobo. And the way this works is that we don't all sit down at exactly the same time (we have a LOT of time zones to cover from Europe, Oz and thru to Hawaii). We all just do it on the weekend when we can.

So, what comfort food does everyone feel like?

My comfort food at one time was making a bowl of stroganoff everyday when I got home from school.

Something warm... easy to chew.. salty... creamy...

Something with apple for dessert!

Im hungry

Maybe cajun spice wings :D

Dont forget the lemon

Last edited:
Alix said:
Warmed lutefisk then?? :LOL:

And you have the nerve to call me a brat????? :ermm:

I have not yet made a pot of chili - my thoughts/suggestions will be narrowed down to:

chicken and slippery dumplings
chili
some form of potato soup
and by cheesy spoon bread goes with ALL of these :chef:

EDITED TO SAY: I will do mine on Sunday (Saturday is "take me out" night)

Last edited:
How about penne with... whatever that sauce is called... the mix of alfredo and tomato sauce.... with grilled or breaded chicken breast on top.. with some garlic toast. :D

I think Potato Soup with apple pie as dessert would be quite easy for everyone since we live in different parts of the world and getting certain ingredients may pose a problem if the dishes are too complicated.

something green?

Chicken & dumplings sounds sooooo good! I wonder, however, about vegetarians. Maybe a quiche, some could add meat, some not?

Something green and healthy needs to be there, I think. Mustard greens w/ 50 tons of garlic?

Do we get dessert?:)

boufa06 said:
I think Potato Soup with apple pie as dessert would be quite easy for everyone since we live in different parts of the world and getting certain ingredients may pose a problem if the dishes are too complicated.

That would be kind of a light meal don't you think?

Do we get dessert?:)

Yes, but it HAS to have apple in it.

Gobo, potato soup is quite substantial especially for dinner as some people prefer a lighter meal. Plus the fact that we have to think of the vegetarians.

As has happened in the past when we try to do this - every time will not work out for everyone. We cannot comprise every single menu to go with every single person's eating habits. It's just IMPOSSIBLE!

If a group of vegetarians want to, at the same time, create something along with the rest of us that is fine - or one time they can suggest a menu.

Potato soup can be quite filling and a perfect meal gobo - especially if the addition of some sort of andoulle or chorizo and kale are added - AND especially paired with my cheesy spoonbread!!!! :mrgreen: - can you tell I like this stuff????

This has to be looked at loosely - or it won't work.

OK, perhaps I should post the rules of this again. The Original Poster (in this case me) gets to choose the menu and invites everyone to participate. As kitchenelf has said, everyone needs to be flexible about this.

THIS thread is about ideas for the menu. I'll post the actual menu tomorrow.

I vote for a hearty beef stew, filled with all sorts of yummy vegetables. Some of the spoon bread someone else mentioned, a nice green salad, some red wine and I think the apple pie idea is just what the doctor ordered. For those who may not want meat, potato soup could be served along side the stew with the rest of the sides and dessert. This is the kind of meal that can be held and people can enjoy as they come and go. I'm gettin' hungry just typing this.:)

How about a Many Bean Soup? or Split Pea? Those who want meat can add it, those who don't, won't! I like to make a great dark Rye bread to go with my Pea Soup.... :)

Katie E said:
I vote for a hearty beef stew, filled with all sorts of yummy vegetables. Some of the spoon bread someone else mentioned, a nice green salad, some red wine and I think the apple pie idea is just what the doctor ordered. For those who may not want meat, potato soup could be served along side the stew with the rest of the sides and dessert. This is the kind of meal that can be held and people can enjoy as they come and go. I'm gettin' hungry just typing this.:)
That does sound good, Katie. I'm definitely up for making an Apple Pie... :chef:

boufa06 said:
Gobo, potato soup is quite substantial especially for dinner as some people prefer a lighter meal. Plus the fact that we have to think of the vegetarians.

Who?

You must be a light eater

Alix said:
OK, perhaps I should post the rules of this again. The Original Poster (in this case me) gets to choose the menu and invites everyone to participate. As kitchenelf has said, everyone needs to be flexible about this.

Fine, as long as you forget about the Lutefisk! :sick:

I vote for a big steaming pot of homemade chili and maybe a big hunk of bread fresh from the deli or better yet sandwiches of our choice.

How about a hearty soup with all the leftovers in the fridge thrown in it. Always different, always deelish. Along with some pearl barley or split peas or lentils.

Back
Top Bottom