"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Glass held hi, to all of my friends and friends to be at DC,you were in my thought as well as my heart today.
Our supper was festive and filled with fun. Elfs spoon bread went in a flash, I know it will be asked for over and over, Thanks Elf We will be getting around to those baked apples in awhile, everyone is stuffed to the eye bulging stage..This was so much fun, even tho, I will still be cooking at midnight I'm sauteing the veggies that I use in my stuffed onions, and have to still squeeze the water from the bread so I can add it and the eggs and cheese, then I can have my dessert.
Cora foccacia is so easy, I'll pm you the recipe I use if you would like it.It's a must have around here for holidays and birthdays and any darn time the kinds can talk me into it
kadesma

Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Corazon, I have a butternut squash from Oct 31st that I am going to try out tomorrow I think. We can die together. LOL.
LOL Alix! I'm sure it'll be fine. Or else we'll have apple soup and apple pie.

This is dh's favorite and after I mentioned apple dessert it was all over. He said he'd like apple galettes for breakfast and apple pie for dessert. Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie

Thanks again Kadesma!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #33
Sous Chef

This was fun - hope someone suggests doing this again!

We had -
BlackBean soup (not the best one I've tried, but pretty good)
garnished with: pico de gallo (yum)
Spiced Pork Kebabs (on skewers with Kielbasa, so what's not to love?)

Elf's Spoon Bread - (very good! Husband could have made a meal of just this!)

Apple/Raisin/Toasted Walnut Dumplings - (very good also, used dried cranberries instead of raisins)
Creme Fraiche Ice Cream (This was wonderful! I had leftover heavy cream from a party last weekend, so made some creme fraiche and then went scurrying around to find something to do with it - this ice cream is just great!)

Gourmet's ice cream recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ws/views/15371

Again, this was a lot of fun - now my frig is full of leftovers and I can just play for a few days!! ;) Thanks for doing this Alix.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Today is our day. I am making split pea soup with a couple of ham hocks and (probably some grated carrots). Sourdough baguette to accompany - may split it up lengthwise and broil with some cheddar on top. Leftover birthday cherry pie and ice cream for dessert.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Alix - I need your Apple Crisp recipe - what I got via e-mail lacked the dry ingredients. I have done a search and found something that is probably close - (disregard your PM BTW). But I would like to get your exact one.

Thanks - I sure hope you visit today before too long!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I've got my pie in the oven. I switched things up a bit and changed some stuff. We'll see if it was for better or worse. Butternut squash is all cut up. I had to veto the spoonbread (sorry elf!) for today because it would have required driving into town to shop. I will make it another time though. dh opted for biscuits instead.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL on the spoon bread - If I don't make myself get in the kitchen I won't be having it either!!!!!!

My soup is going to be a one-of-a-kind - I had some Spanish chorizo that I won from the Epicurious cooking contest - so I made a soup with some turkey sausage, cut up chorizo, cabbage, kale, carrots, onion, canned tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth mostly but some beef broth and I think that's all - no salt is really needed yet - I'll top it with Parm-Reg shavings. That chorizo is giving it the yummiest smoky flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDITED TO SAY - A miracle happened in my kitchen this evening - I BAKED SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what a miracle it is! Alix's Apple Crisp is in the oven! OOOOO - and I was bad - I made extra topping

Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Sitting down with my bowl of soup, apple crisp close by, raising my glass of wine to all my friends on DC

To my old friends,
To my new friends,
...met or not, thank you for being you.

Peace

Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Well . . . . the bean soup is simmering away. We had to buy a 6+lb ham (the smallest they had) no one had ham hocks!!!! I think, in lieu of the disaster I made in the galley last night we're shortening this up a bit. Ham and bean soup, either corn bread or biscuits, and chocolate orange cheesecake that didn't make the dinner table last night. Maybe salad. The boat smells so good - and it's a perfect dismal foggy night for soup.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Yum Harborwitch, chocolate orange cheesecake! Must have been delicious.

Our dinner was scrumptious. Usually, when I make an apple pie, I let dh eat it all. He loves apple pie and I'm pretty indifferent, but last night I had a small slice. It was a tasty pie, no wonder dh is such a fan. Not as good as chocolate though. I was thinking of all of you last night.