Winter Blues Get Together Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK folks here's what we are going to serve.

Hearty soup (bean, potato, french onion, pea, whatever)
Cheesy Spoon bread/French baguette
Green salad of your choice

Dessert is either apple pie or apple crisp/cobbler

Since we are all in different time zones lets just say that we will do this on the weekend if we are participating. Whenever you sit down to your meal, raise a glass and toast your friends at DC. Then come and post how your meal was and who you shared it with. Don't forget to share your recipes!

yippeeee - I can tell you now that I am going to do potato, leek, kale, and chorizo soup with the spoon bread. And I don't have a recipe but it shouldn't be too complicated. Oh geez, another low-fat meal :angel:

I'm on for Sunday.

Saturday for us, I'll do my french onion soup,with the toasted baguette slice on,top and provolone cheese melted on that with a sprinkle of parm, a salad of red and green cabbage dressed with sesame oil and a touch of rice vinegar, Elfs spoonbread...They might not look fancy in this post, but they will warm the heart and the soul:)
kadesma

I think I might do french onion too. With toasted baguette to hold the cheesy goodness on top. We'll have that spoon bread on the side too. Mmmmmm, cheese and bread, its all good!

Oh, I wish we were having soup on Saturday. We are having our SS class for cookout and it is supposed to be cold - 38 Sat and Sun am. We are having the food in dh's new tractor garage (before grease and tools), and having a fire in the firepit. I hope we stay warm. We will also have 2 large grills going. Maybe I should get some marshmallows. We may not need any cold drinks, but I think I will make a large kettle of mulled cider and we will have coffee.

Good and healthy menu, Alix. DH will be much pleased when I present the dishes on Saturday cos' he prefers a lighter or no meal at all for dinner these days.

o.K. for the newbies around here - Winter Blues Get Together Menu - to participate, we fix what we like for comfort food and report in after the weekend? not necessarily a new dish to us?

Well, whatever I fix Saturday, there will be Alix's cheesey spoon bread - sounds super!

(I also copped the BEAN AND PASTA SALAD that was showing with the bread recipe - love pasta/bean combo - thanks!)

This newbie now knows what's going on... this will be fun!

Hearty soup (bean, potato, french onion, pea, whatever)
Cheesy Spoon bread/French baguette
Green salad of your choice

Dessert is either apple pie or apple crisp/cobbler

Here we go.

I planned on making potato leek but dh said last night he'd be up for trying some kind of squash soup. On that note, I think I'll be making butternut squash, apple, walnut soup. We'll probably have it with a seeded baguette. Dessert is undecided, but with an apple dessert dh will be in heaven. :rolleyes:

I made clam chowder last night
and I'm doing a venison stew/soup tonight.

Green salad with lots of cukes and onions.

I'll have to skip making the apple dessert since I have
a 9x13 pan full of a cherry dessert waiting to be munched on.

I MIGHT just change my mind (it's corazone's fault) to a Cabbage, Apple, Sausage Soup - something not so heavy might hit the spot after that Stout Stew I made last night! lol

And Alix - can I have your spoon bread recipe??? I'll give you my apple crisp recipe :-p :LOL:

Cuisine at Home has a Black Bean Soup served with Spiced Pork Kebabs that I've been wanting to try - and add Alix's spoonbread and an apple something - haven't made apple dumplings for years....hmmmm

Sounds Mmm... Good!

I love to eat! Especially home cooked food. I hope everyone enjoys todays menu. Let me know how the soup turns out. Ace.:)

Ace, we're all doing this menu on the weekend and thinking of our friends here at DC while we eat. Join in, please! There's always room for one more.

And folks, I wish I could claim the cheesy spoon bread recipe. Its kitchenelf's, I just posted it in a link so everyone could find it easily. LOL. I'll post my apple crisp for you guys though. Even kitchenelf thinks she might be able to make it! *running away from Elfie's wooden spoon*

Last night we riffed on a tomato feta soup recipe - made it more a creamy tomato/feta soup and had grilled provolone sammies. Yummmmmm.:)

I'm going to get the stuff for the ham & bean soup today. I can't wait - it's the ol' "Senate Bean Soup" my Mom used to make once in a while. I can make this in my sleep - like it's ingrained in my genes. :)

Back
Top Bottom