Winter Solstice Dinner - 12/21/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HA!! Our forecast doesn't call for snow yet, but boy, it sure feels like it!!

Yesterday, Mom and I went to our Community Center to play BINGO!
I won a round!!
I got a gift card to Red Lobster, not somewhere that DH and I go to,
but Mom likes it.... so we had some sub-contractor workers AGAIN
today here at the house until well after 1 in the afternoon.
I made an executive decision that it would be a late lunch/early dinner
at the Red Lobster in town.

Mom ordered the Petite Lobster roll plate, I had the Wood-Grilled Shrimp
and DH had the Chicken Fingers I guess you call them with steamed Broccoli.
:huh:
When I saw his plate I asked why he decided on that?
DH: "I don't eat fish in the middle of the desert." :mellow:
Me: "Dear, I make you Poke Bowl all the time...
and on top of that, this is a National Restaurant Chain
with the resources to ship in daily probably
the freshest seafood you'll find."
DH: "Well, I guess we'll need to come back then." :rolleyes:

My Shrimp was fabulous and we're still full :LOL:

Really easy dinner tonight. We went to TJ's today and I picked up a frozen meat lasagna, just right for the two of us. I've bought them before and they're quite good.
We have spinach/mushroom/red onion salad to go with it.

Dad went to the Sons of Norway potluck. Took the Goro, so I had to make another batch. Mom had a grilled ham, Swiss cheese and apple sandwich on rye, peaches and Christmas cookies.

I'm at my parent's house, and we had mom's lasagna. I give her grief about her cooking, but she has a few dishes she does very well, and lasagna is one of them. I ate way too much (and way too fast).

Oh, it was 81 degrees today -- winter solstice?

CD

Last edited:
With all the talk about split pea soup the last few days, I was inspired and made another small batch of it a couple of days ago, and had the rest of it this evening. LOVE that stuff! :yum:

I doctored up a batch of 'Jiffy' boxed corn bread mix with chopped jalapenos and shredded sharp cheddar. Had a couple of those with the soup, and froze the rest for another time.

Last edited:
I recently made a pot of chicken stew with barley. We liked it so much I made a pot of it today. Himself wasn't feeling good, so Goober will have to wait for his serving. Looks like Himself is working on a Christmas sick day. :ohmy: I need to keep him in isolation and feed him good food!

Attachments

• 20171221_203952.jpg
    20171221_203952.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 120
I'm at my parent's house, and we had mom's lasagna. I give her grief about her cooking, but she has a few dishes she does very well, and lasagna is one of them. I ate way too much (and way too fast).

Oh, it was 81 degrees today -- winter solstice?

CD

I very much dislike you right now...
Our HIGH here today in the middle of the desert was 40 degrees Fahrenheit
... but since this was the solstice, maybe it'll get warmer as well as brighter with Sun Shine?

Using up some of the smoked turkey, I made a smoked turkey and andouille gumbo.

36788-albums322-picture7187.jpg

Had the Thrift store haul off all furniture that didn't sell and 2 large tubs of kitchen stuff.. I am down to utensils, serving plates and cookware for 2.

so... It will be TJ's prepared meals and restaurants until I leave Cali on Jan 3rd..

Dinner today was a burger and fries out and I forgot dessert... Geeze.. :wacko:
Good thing Jeannie made Sesame Seed cookies for the freezer...

Ross

I grill through the winter, but it's not as challenging as it sounds. The grill is on the patio about 10 feet from the slider. I grill things that I can pretty much cook by time and temperature (burgers, kebobs), as opening the cover sends the temperature plummeting. I can watch the thermometer while inside the house and adjust accordingly, but I pretty much know where to set the controls at varying temperatures. I don't grill on very cold (less than 20 F) or windy nights, as it becomes difficult to keep the grill temperature up.

Our solstice dinner was Minestrone, then turkey involtini with a mushroom and truffle filling, and then pears cooked in ginger, cane sugar, Moscato and whipped cream with brandy snaps. This dessertEnough is never is a recipe I devised myself, and it's always been a success with our friends.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I grill through the winter, but it's not as challenging as it sounds. The grill is on the patio about 10 feet from the slider. I grill things that I can pretty much cook by time and temperature (burgers, kebobs), as opening the cover sends the temperature plummeting. I can watch the thermometer while inside the house and adjust accordingly, but I pretty much know where to set the controls at varying temperatures. I don't grill on very cold (less than 20 F) or windy nights, as it becomes difficult to keep the grill temperature up.

I use the really cold days to cold smoke things, like cheese. Things don't cook (or melt), they just suck up smoke.

CD

Back
Top Bottom