"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef
We don't have any fine china of our own. When we were growing up, my parents china was on display and that's all it ever was. Rarely, if ever used. I have no memories of it and when the time comes to pass it down, either I'll let my sister have it or I will use it for my children's memories. I would say you should use your china and if you're worried about it being destroyed (as children love to do) then just use it for holidays and special occasions.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Constance
My grandmother was a fine hostess, and she entertained a lot. Her tables were always beautiful, with perfectly ironed linens, candles and fresh flowers.
My mother was a teacher, and not as into cooking or entertaining, but our Sundays were like yours, Claire. I was responsible for setting the table, and derived a special satisfaction from laying out all the gleaming silver and china. Boyfriends were very impressed when they were invited to dine with us.
When my girls were little, I didn't have a very nice house, and no dining room. There's something about eating in the kitchen with all the stacked up pots and pans that makes a fancy table setting look out of place, and I guess I just quit caring. My ex-husband and his family were not appreciative anyway.
After my parents were gone, I gave my grown daughter my mother's china and crystal, and she has it stored away in a box because I told her she probably shouldn't put it in the dishwasher.
I have decided that I agree with you ladies completely. What am I saving it for? It will probably all be sold at auction when I'm gone anyway.
I'm having Thanksgiving at my house this year, and I vow to get down the Spode and get out my good tablecloth! Guess I'd better put silver polish on the shopping list.
YOu know Connie, I adore my kids and grandkids, I gave my children life, I saw to it and insisted they get an education, taught them to use the china,crystal and silver...BUT, If and when I was gone they could do with it as they want..BUT, I was going to use it every chance I got and I did and do...Unless we are grilling outside on sunday, it gets used, it was given to dh and me by people who loved us, we use it, take care of it...The kids can get their own and they have Of course they all want mine and that is fine...have at it guys, just wait til I'm gone Then take it, use it, love it...It's YOURS..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 AM   #13
Master Chef
I especially like eating ice cream from a real silver spoon. Sometimes I'll be eating Haagan-Daz (excuse spelling, I don't have a carton at hand) right out of the carton, and my husband will get up and get me a silver spoon to eat it with. It turns so nice and cold.

My husband had china, crystal and silver when I met him. Since then (about 25 years ago), we've bought some new silver pieces (I wasn't kidding when I said I threw them away. Ouch.) and the crystal has been completely replaced (broken while washing for the most part). The china has held up amazingly -- I think two teacups were broken in one of our moves. Since we never use them all and it's a large set, I've never replaced them.

Kids really DO need to learn to sit down at a properly set table, I think all here agree. There are a lot of people out there who think it is a snob-ism, but when you limit your kids to the only place they're capable of eating without being embarassed is McDonalds, you're really limiting their potential in life. My MIL was a maid, and she made a point of setting a proper table and teaching her son how to do it and use it. When I worked for the military, I can't count the number of times I sat down with young people and gave them basic etiquette lessons they never got at home so that they could enjoy going out to a nice restaurant or to a military ball.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think having the good stuff early on is the way to go. I'd rather break a piece washing it or even getting knocked off the table than breaking it because I was dusting it! I have broken several things that have made me sad but they truly are just things - I still have the memories of the way they were used. My son's eyes would glaze over when he drank from a "special" glass and I wouldn't have missed that look for anything!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote