"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Worst Food Memory

We have all had them at one time or another. A bad experience with food. What are some of yours?

My worst food memory was when I was younger (probably about 8 or 9). I can't stand eggs. It is the one food that I can't eat at all. My mom knows this and would usually never force them on me. Well for whatever reason one night she decided that dinner was scrambled eggs and that was all she was making. I would have been happy to go to bed without dinner, but that was not an option. I was forced to sit at the table and eat a whole plate of them and I could not get up until I was finished. I sat at that table from about 5:30 until probably 9pm or so. The rest of the family was in the next room watching TV and I had to sit at the table starting at that plate of yellow. Mom eventually got so fed up that she turned off the kitchen lights on me and I sat there in the dark looking at my full plate.
Something else must have been going on that I was unaware of because my mom was usually a very nice and understanding woman, but this one time she really lost it IMO. I will never forget that meal. Now that I am having my first child, I will use that experience to make sure that if my daughter doesn't like something that I will not force her to eat it. I WILL make her try new things, but just a taste and if she doesn't like it, well that is OK.

Old 10-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef

It was an incident involving peanut butter in the first grade. I refuse to go there. OK :!:

Old 10-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Head Chef

The funny thing about my children is how their tastes changed over the years. Getting them to try new things as tots was futile. Now they will try absolutely anything and consume every morsel I put in front of them. I'm a much more less insecure cook these days...

For me, my worst food nightmare was combining red grapes with chocolate milk at the age of about 12. Got sicker than a dog for a while. Mom, of course, suspected a stomach virus and I didn't have to go to school the next day. Tried the trick a few days later and was again violently ill. And went to school. Nowadays, I still can't stand red grapes. Green are great, but not red. (Still adore chocolate milk, though...)
Old 10-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
Everymom

Mine involves chicken and pineapple together. For some reason my system WILL NOT tolerate any chicken dish with pineapple anything in it. I have had nasty reactions. I continue to try though. I keep hoping some day things will change. More fool me I guess.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Being so broke that the only food in the house was carrots and Cocoa Wheats. Not a good combo.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #6

I was craving chicken wings really, really bad. A friend and I went to a local place... first time I had been there and the last. The wings were almost raw on the inside... it looked like they only fried them for about 5 min. I didn't have wings for awhile after that.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior Cook

School, mashed potatoes tasting of detergent, and suet pastry/pudding.

I refused to eat them, so no playtime.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
School, mashed potatoes tasting of detergent, and suet pastry/pudding.

I refused to eat them, so no playtime.
I had a couple incidents like that involving tomato soup and macaroni and cheese. I got the paddle.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #9
Master Chef

Two that I can think of ...

My body refuses to accept beef liver. Mom tried everything to get me to eat it ... I tried but it just wouldn't stay down.

Another faux pas was when a nurse I worked with gave me a bread recipe on a 3x5 card .... I didn't think to turn it over and read the rest of the directions on the back ... worked the 2nd time when I did.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
One time at band camp.............

ok seriously, my grandmother used to babysit us. She is of German decent. Well I could not for the life of me figure out why she would make these awful meals and expect us to eat them. One of these was Borscht...GACK!!! I wil not EVER eat that again NEVER!!! She would make us as well sit at the table till it was gone. If mom came to pick us up it didnt matter we still sat there. Clod Borscht is grross...same goes with vegatable soup, I couldn't eat that for the longest time.

When I was about 9ish and my mom was working me and my sis would come home frfom school to have a snack. I wanted Shreddies and you HAVE to top shreddies with brown sugar..NOT white, but brown. Anyways, we were out of milk. So I phoned mom at work to tell her to bring some home. She miss interpetted me and told me to have juice. I dont think she realized I wanted cereal but jsut a drink. Well bottom line is....Orange Juice and Shreddies with Brown sugar DO NOT mix!!!!!!

Lesson Learned!!!