Wot's in the wok, doc? Dinner 10/23/2013.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not a bad day today,bright & sunny but a biting wind that went through you like a knife through butter...ah hahhhh oi thinks it be an easterly capt'n:ermm:any way,whilst we be on a nautical theme shipmates...fish pie.a dish that jumps off the plate & gives you a hug,then pats you on the head & says "there there".served with microwaved peas &(just for you cg!) smoked bacon.no alcohol 'cos i'm just off down the boozer to watch the soccer with me chums.the photo's are from when i cooked it & posted them last year,always turns out the same,so i re used them.time to cast off for the pub...see y'all tomorrow,play nicely;)!!

This looks very nice!

With love, Cat

Harry, that fish pie is something I want to make, and those browned, crispy bits of potato on top.....oooooh, my goodness....just lovely.

powerplant, your shrimp burger looks about the best I have ever seen. :yum:

I had a light meal this afternoon because of a big breakfast. :wacko:
Southwestern-style salad with Marie's chipotle ranch dressing. Love that stuff. :yum:

Attachments

• 936492_10201539537881076_1989089672_n.jpg
    936492_10201539537881076_1989089672_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 198
I just finished lunch, two brat sandwiches plus an extra brat. I'm not sure there will be a dinner tonight. The fish pie looks intriguing though... and delicious.

Looks amazing. Thanks for putting all of this together for us to see. I really like your story boards.

Harry 's fish pie looks good. The potato topping is what I just recent learned to do with a cottage pie, make little mountains and valleys so the peaks brown nicely in the oven.

We just got back from a late lunch out. I had a fried walleye sandwich, fresh cut fries and cole slaw. DxW had a juicy lucy burger. And DxW brought over a whole apple pie in exchange for some cookies. I win. ( now I have to figure something to bake and put in the pie plate when I return it.)

Harry, that looks really good.

This looks very nice!

With love, Cat

Harry, that fish pie is something I want to make, and those browned, crispy bits of potato on top.....oooooh, my goodness....just lovely.

powerplant, your shrimp burger looks about the best I have ever seen. :yum:
thanks to all who liked the fish pie:)!! it's my take on a marco pierre white recipe.he's one of my fav chefs.only differences are that i used monkfish instead of cod.monk is pretty bland but it's a firm fish & takes flavours well,i used gruyere instead of cheddar 'cos i find even very mature cheddar leaves an oily residue in the sauce,i used knorr fish pot stock rather than cubes,i don't like eggs in fish pie & i don't add milk or eggs to the mash 'cos i want lumps & chunks that will brown...apart from that no real changes.:ermm::LOL:!!ohh yeah,i added some green lipped mussels too...y'all know i likes me mussels:rolleyes:!!
here's mpw's version
Simple Fish Pie with Peas- Marco Pierre White recipe video - YouTube

Last edited:
Harry 's fish pie looks good. The potato topping is what I just recent learned to do with a cottage pie, make little mountains and valleys so the peaks brown nicely in the oven.

We just got back from a late lunch out. I had a fried walleye sandwich, fresh cut fries and cole slaw. DxW had a juicy lucy burger. And DxW brought over a whole apple pie in exchange for some cookies. I win. ( now I have to figure something to bake and put in the pie plate when I return it.)
cheers mate!! all sounds deelish....what's walleye whiska?

Walleye is a fairly mild tasting fish found in many N central US and Canadian lakes. They can grow quite large. It's not endangered, but is over fished, so there are many restrictions on what you are allowed to keep, if you catch one. Many of our local restaurants offer it on menus as "local caught", but we all know that's code words for Canadian caught. Neighbors you know. In about the same way cod is mild, or perch or mahi mahi, it's fits in that flavor realm and takes well to cooking in many ways besides broiled or fried.

That's a nice looking salad, Cheryl. And I like the sounds of that dressing. I'm going to look for some.

Thank you, Harry and pacanis. :)

Pacanis, the salad dressing is pretty awesome, it's got just a bit of a kick to it. It's made with buttermilk, so if your neck of the woods carries it, it will be in the refrigerated section near the produce. :)

I usually buy Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch. I'll look for it there first.
There are so many nice varieties of salad dressing these days. My problem is I'll open one, use half and then wonder if it's still good the next time I reach for it. For that reason I try to keep a sparse selection.

Back
Top Bottom