Wot's in't belly, Nelly? Dinner 11/21/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
cut straight to the chase on this one,"thank gawd" i hear you sigh.getting on with it 'cos there's lots of piccies to upload/look at,"knew there was a bloody catch" i hear you groan.oh well,slow braised ox cheek ragu in a tomato,roasted red pepper,chianti & anchovy stuffed olive sauce with "home made"pappardelle & broccoli.well,not really home made.couldn't find pappardelle wide enough,so just bought some fresh lasagne sheets & cut them to my desired width.clever eh?..no...oh well:rolleyes:!!chianti riserva smoother than deano knockin' out "when the moon hit's your eye like a big pizza pie etc etc"

Attachments

• OX CHEEK RAGU 001.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 001.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 191
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 002.jpg
    OX CHEEK RAGU 002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 285
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 003.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 003.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 189
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 004.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 004.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 198
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 006.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 006.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 207
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 007.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 007.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 202
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 009.jpg
    OX CHEEK RAGU 009.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 247
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 010.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 010.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 213
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 011.jpg
    OX CHEEK RAGU 011.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 247
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 013.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 013.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 206
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 014.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 014.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 201
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 015.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 015.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 189
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 016.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 016.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 208
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 018.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 018.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 201
  • OX CHEEK RAGU 019.JPG
    OX CHEEK RAGU 019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Ox cheek, huh?
Well, the dish sure looks appetizing. If I'm ever over for dinner, let's just call it beef, OK? :LOL:
Great pics. Looks delicious.

This was my noon day dinner just now. Grilled chicken salad. I had a breast that need cooked so decided to just carry on with eating it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 238
cut straight to the chase on this one,"thank gawd" i hear you sigh.getting on with it 'cos there's lots of piccies to upload/look at,"knew there was a bloody catch" i hear you groan.oh well,slow braised ox cheek ragu in a tomato,roasted red pepper,chianti & anchovy stuffed olive sauce with "home made"pappardelle & broccoli.well,not really home made.couldn't find pappardelle wide enough,so just bought some fresh lasagne sheets & cut them to my desired width.clever eh?..no...oh well:rolleyes:!!chianti riserva smoother than deano knockin' out "when the moon hit's your eye like a big pizza pie etc etc"

Harry, you're just plain mean! I'm glad I'm not on a diet. It would go out the window with just one of your photos.

As always, it all looks so very good!

I'm still experimenting with Southern cooking. Tonight we had country ham, grits, crowder peas, and cornbread.

I think I heard my arteries clogging during our dinner.

With love,
~Cat

Ox cheek, huh?
Well, the dish sure looks appetizing. If I'm ever over for dinner, let's just call it beef, OK? :LOL:
Great pics. Looks delicious.

This was my noon day dinner just now. Grilled chicken salad. I had a breast that need cooked so decided to just carry on with eating it.
you're more than welcome for a "knife & forks" at chez harry anytime mate,and beef it shall be;)!!
chook looks great,pac & i do envy you having a grill.is the weather still good enough for regular outdoor cooking/eating at this time of year?or is it good all year round,where you are?weather over here is very cold,at the moment,but clear/sunny skies.love it!i'd happily cook outdoors in this weather,it's the miserable,damp & grey days that piss me right off....ahh well:rolleyes:!!

Last edited:
I make a similar dish. The original recipe called for short ribs. I usually use chuck roast. Delicious!
wish i could lay me hands on short ribs andy.some of the supermarkets trialed them along with lamb ribs,both deelish!!.trouble is that pork,even the outdoor raised/named breed pork,is so cheap compared to beef & lamb,that nobody bought them,so they were discontinued.plus,it's always pork ribs in the chinese restaurants & you don't often see the tv chefs cooking them over here either.doomed to fail i guess.shame:(!!
chuck roast?i'm guessing that's a long/slow cooking cut,what we'd call casserole or stewing steak:chef:?

Ham and eggs tonight.

Harry, which end of the ox is this cheek from?
ham & eggs sounds good to me :yum:!it's from the "sharp" end,auntie!!.we all know that the harder the working the muscle,the longer you need to cook it,but the tastier it is.well,when you think of a cow "chewing the cud" all day,that cheek muscle gets some use!!the other great thing is that when you cut the raw cheek vertically,you'll see a thin layer of cartiledge running full length.when you cook the meat,this layer melts down & bastes the cheek from within,so the meat stays incredibly moist.when cooked properly,the tastiest,tenderest & most moist cut of beef there is imho.probably the cheapest too,'cos not many people buy it.either they are put off by the thought of where it comes from or don't know how to cook it.that's the average brit,imo & experience,when it comes to "unusual" foods,which is fine by me:rolleyes:;)!!

Last edited:
Harry, you're just plain mean! I'm glad I'm not on a diet. It would go out the window with just one of your photos.

As always, it all looks so very good!

I'm still experimenting with Southern cooking. Tonight we had country ham, grits, crowder peas, and cornbread.

I think I heard my arteries clogging during our dinner.

With love,
~Cat
thanks cat!!your meal sounds deelish to:chef:!!forget the arteries once in a while."a little of what you fancy does you good" as we say over here;)!!
now that you have got the hang of the food,how's about trying the old camera?i love to see the food as well,i think most other folks on here do too:cool:!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom