Wot's under th'lid, Sid? Dinner 12/21/13.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pac, you crack me up! Looks good tho!

Dawg, one of my teeth did a little crumble tonight too.....how doe thus happen?? :(

Bunny, apparently 'tis the season to break teeth, falalalala lalalala. I think I got enough la's in. Let me count them again. Yep.

Thanks, Dawg, Somebun.
I'll have to remember turkey fajitas to help me use up my leftovers. Great idea and looking good.

Oh no, pac. Not you too!?

We had takeout pizza. The good stuff, I had to go get it. SO had a Margarita and I had a meatlovers.

alright ny culinary culprits. tonights fare had me dredging the likes of the local market because mr yamamoto took off with my goods.i told him to leave a crumb.bloody passersby.so up for you all is a a beautiiful donation by mr angus along with some greens and starch.mr smokey joe provided the heat.all was washed down with a bud light colder than the titanics hull.
Love ya, Harry ;)

Looking good! Love the pix :)

We went to see "Saving Mr. Banks" so I made a quick dinner: pan-seared pork rib chops, salad with fresh mozzarella from the farmers market and basil-balsamic vinaigrette, and baguette slices drizzled with olive oil and toasted.

pan-seared pork rib chops

this-is-relevant-to-my-interests.jpeg

I made myself get up and move today and I wanted so badly to get back into my little kitchen and feed my precious friends and family.

I didn't cook from scratch this time. I used a package of shake and bake and added a packet of dry ranch dressing mix to it, and made these chicken thighs and breasts in the oven. It was very good!

Lakisha made her lovely seasoned green beans, and Carl made the salad of lettuce, baby spinach, cut up grape tomatoes, cut up radishes, shredded carrots, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and garlic croutons.

But I found out that when it was time for dinner, I was very tired. I ate with everyone, but I had to nap after dinner. Something, maybe the medicines, is making me very tired.

With love,
~Cat

That looks great 'arry, but I'm confused. What's in the package "Tesco" and those onion skin covered long things? Could you list the ingredients next time? I've never heard of Tesco and the long oniony things don't look familiar. Fess up, pal. I love your dishes and think they'd be great to recreate, but need more info. Try to remember that our ingredients across the pond aren't always the same. XOX
Z, I'll take a whack at it. Harry can correct when I'm wrong ;)
I believe Tesco is a store where he shops. I know he's mentioned the name Tesco several times. So I'm, guessing the bag is a storebrand ziploc and it holds the marinating pork belly.
That's my best guess anyway :)
spot on pac!!tesco is the second largest retailer in the world,based on profit & the third largest in the world based on turnover.they've been trading for nearly 90 years.i guess you don't get that big & last so long unless you are doing something right!!
as pac said,the bag is a ziplock with the diced belly pork & nando's marinade in it.the "oniony thing" is an echalion shallot.milder,tastier & sweeter than most other onions & shallots.easier to dice,slice & chop 'cos of it's shape too!

Tesco is a British supermarket of ill repute. One of the big 5 supermarket companies in UK and a place I try not to use unless completely desperate. The original "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" store - except it now has pretensions to rivalling Waitrose and Sainsbury who both do it better. Heck, even Aldi and Lidl do it better than Tesco.

And the long things in the onion skins are a variety of shallots (sometimes called banana shallots)
aldi is the fastest growing supermarket in the uk.they are clearly doing better than all of the supermarkets,including waitrose & sainsbury.in times of austerity it is little wonder that a discount retailer is out growing the competition.the growth in their luxury brands is largely fuelled by "reverse SNOBBERY retailing" with many shoppers from sainsbury & waitrose changing horses.the bulk of the generic "own label" food lines emanate from the same factories,with the same ingredients/ingredient ratio's,so very often,the only difference is the label.only marks & spencers buck that trend.park cakes in bolton is one example.

IDK......but I guess I better figure it out soon!

Can't I just go to Harry's for dinner? Looks tasty Harry!

Ya did it again, Harry! Wow!

I got a coupon from Amazon for a free movie ticket to "Frozen", so we're heading to the matinee. Dinner will be whatever they serve at the theatre.
why thank you,ladies...most kind i'm sure:)!!
more than welcome anytime sb,you too dawg:cool:!

alright ny culinary culprits. tonights fare had me dredging the likes of the local market because mr yamamoto took off with my goods.i told him to leave a crumb.bloody passersby.so up for you all is a a beautiiful donation by mr angus along with some greens and starch.mr smokey joe provided the heat.all was washed down with a bud light colder than the titanics hull.
Love ya, Harry ;)
knew i'd convert you to yamamotoism in the end mate!!wondered where the little bugger had gone...wanted to send him up in the attic to retrieve me cataplana....sheesh:rolleyes:!!he does eat a lot for a little 'un doesn't he?,but he doesn't take up much room,on the plus side!
fab job on the steaks,piccies & story board too:chef:!!looks like i'll have to up me game matey!
now keep it up........

Last edited:
I made myself get up and move today and I wanted so badly to get back into my little kitchen and feed my precious friends and family.

I didn't cook from scratch this time. I used a package of shake and bake and added a packet of dry ranch dressing mix to it, and made these chicken thighs and breasts in the oven. It was very good!

Lakisha made her lovely seasoned green beans, and Carl made the salad of lettuce, baby spinach, cut up grape tomatoes, cut up radishes, shredded carrots, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and garlic croutons.

But I found out that when it was time for dinner, I was very tired. I ate with everyone, but I had to nap after dinner. Something, maybe the medicines, is making me very tired.

With love,
~Cat
Cat, the medicine, pain and just the whole trauma to your body from the accident will make you tired. Take it from me, someone who lives with pain constantly, you have to listen to your body and the only way it can heal is for you to give it the rest you need. This is a big lesson I have learned just in the past year. It is good to move around so you don't get too stiff, but just don't overdo it.

Your dinner sounds lovely!

Tesco is certainly not a supermarket of ill repute , it's one of the best, if not the best and most successful in the UK . The likes of Adli and lidl are the pile em high sell em cheap ones and I don't go near them , however you pays your money and takes your choice . I shop online at Tesco every week , never ever have a problem with it .

However , back to Harry's photo , yes the oniony things are shallots . I suppose if we do post pics then we should all list the ingredients so we all have an understanding as I don't always know what the US ingredients are either .

Harry - love the cataplana and I have happy memories of Carvoeiro too !

Tesco is certainly not a supermarket of ill repute , it's one of the best, if not the best and most successful in the UK . The likes of Adli and lidl are the pile em high sell em cheap ones and I don't go near them , however you pays your money and takes your choice . I shop online at Tesco every week , never ever have a problem with it .

However , back to Harry's photo , yes the oniony things are shallots . I suppose if we do post pics then we should all list the ingredients so we all have an understanding as I don't always know what the US ingredients are either .

Harry - love the cataplana and I have happy memories of Carvoeiro too !
corrrrrect james!!the "the high end" supers trade on gullibility & pretension.the name on the bag is more important than what's in it,approach.that's why i put in my reply about the generics of "own brand" ranges.mostly it all comes out of the same factory,whoever the retailer is.apart from marks,that is.tesco are the only mainstream retailer to sell uk only sourced meat,the first to sell only free range meat/chicken on their counters & are second to none on their product provenance.you don't get to being third largest in the world,by getting it wrong;)!
methinks you'll be seeing me cataplana quite a bit from now on hun.like the tagine,a magical piece of kit!
carvoeiro is wonderful,isn't it?.might nip over after chrimbo,only trouble is the weather ain't so hot,this time of year.looks like taba,on the sinai again for me.guaranteed sun,even at this time of year.bring it onnnnnn!!

Last edited:
Nice looking meals Pac & Harry.

Bummer 'bout the teeth Dawg and Somebunny.

Went out for Chinese. There were 16 of us. We had so many different, yummy dishes, that I can't remember half of them.

Nice looking meals Pac & Harry.

Bummer 'bout the teeth Dawg and Somebunny.

Went out for Chinese. There were 16 of us. We had so many different, yummy dishes, that I can't remember half of them.
cheers tax!!hmmmmm,chinese?might have to get me wok out again matey;)!

With love,
~Cat

It's not just the medicines that are making you feel tired. Your body is using its energy to heal your injury. If you ignore it and try to do too much, it will take longer to heal and you will find yourself even more tired. Listen to your body and rest when it tells you to. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom