Wot's under th'lid, Sid? Dinner 12/21/13.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
gather round me buckaroo's,i have a tale for thee,ah haaa:ermm:!well it does have a kind of seafaring theme to it.reading & replying to a thread about tracking down a portuguese earthenware pot,reminded me of when i had a holiday home in carvoeiro,on the algarve.it reminded me of many sundrenched holidays in portugal.how lovely,welcoming & friendly portuguese people are & how damn good portuguese food is.mariners/explorers without compare they opened up the spice routes,gave us chillies,cristiano ronaldo & invented the pressure cooker:ermm:!!no,listen,they invented the cataplana centuries before prestige et al got in on the act.sooooo,armed with nothing more than a steely nerve,me trusty torch & a gin & tonic i ventured up into the dark & dangerous depths of me attic to retrieve my,yes you've guessed,cataplana!!
you've been very patient,both of you,so tonight folks it's my homage to portugal... belly pork,prawn & clam cataplana with cherry bomb peppers,cyprus new potatoes & steamed asparagus.ice cold mateus shiraz rosé that took me right back to the harbour side bars of carvoeiro.thank you!!

Attachments

• PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 001.jpg
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 001.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 210
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 002.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 002.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 163
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 003.jpg
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 003.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 209
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 004.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 004.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 163
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 005.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 005.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 169
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 006.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 006.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 164
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 007.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 007.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 169
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 008.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 008.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 166
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 009.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 009.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 163
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 010.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 010.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 169
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 011.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 011.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 175
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 012.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 012.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 174
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 013.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 013.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 175
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 014.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 014.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 179
  • PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 021.JPG
    PORK & SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 021.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I've got a couple of huge chicken breast brining...going to make chicken fried tender strips with them...with cream gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli and a salad.

Ya did it again, Harry! Wow!

I got a coupon from Amazon for a free movie ticket to "Frozen", so we're heading to the matinee. Dinner will be whatever they serve at the theatre.

That looks great 'arry, but I'm confused. What's in the package "Tesco" and those onion skin covered long things? Could you list the ingredients next time? I've never heard of Tesco and the long oniony things don't look familiar. Fess up, pal. I love your dishes and think they'd be great to recreate, but need more info. Try to remember that our ingredients across the pond aren't always the same. XOX

Leftovers, taco meat mixture and macaroni from the freezer. Goulash or tacolash, I don't know, but it'll be good - if there's enough meat left. If not, I'll toss it and make talapia with yellow squash and garlic butter.

I'm cleaning out the freezer to make room for more on the 3rd. (Massive monthly shopping day)

That looks great 'arry, but I'm confused. What's in the package "Tesco" and those onion skin covered long things? Could you list the ingredients next time? I've never heard of Tesco and the long oniony things don't look familiar. Fess up, pal. I love your dishes and think they'd be great to recreate, but need more info. Try to remember that our ingredients across the pond aren't always the same. XOX

Z, I'll take a whack at it. Harry can correct when I'm wrong ;)

I believe Tesco is a store where he shops. I know he's mentioned the name Tesco several times. So I'm, guessing the bag is a storebrand ziploc and it holds the marinating pork belly.
That's my best guess anyway :)

Tesco is a British supermarket of ill repute. One of the big 5 supermarket companies in UK and a place I try not to use unless completely desperate. The original "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" store - except it now has pretensions to rivalling Waitrose and Sainsbury who both do it better. Heck, even Aldi and Lidl do it better than Tesco.

And the long things in the onion skins are a variety of shallots (sometimes called banana shallots)

Last edited:
Z, I'll take a whack at it. Harry can correct when I'm wrong ;)

I believe Tesco is a store where he shops. I know he's mentioned the name Tesco several times. So I'm, guessing the bag is a storebrand ziploc and it holds the marinating pork belly.
That's my best guess anyway :)
Yep. I was just about to add the bit about the Tesco's ziplock having the marinade and the meat.

TB- Grilled steak, baked potato, asparagus and salad.
LP - baked sweet potato, asparagus and salad.
A change. TB brought home a rotisserie chicken and a greek salad from Costco. I can take the cheese out of the salad and I should be able to have a little chic ken. most of the fat drips out of it. I am still steaming the asparagus with a little lemon juice.

alright ny culinary culprits. tonights fare had me dredging the likes of the local market because mr yamamoto took off with my goods.i told him to leave a crumb.bloody passersby.so up for you all is a a beautiiful donation by mr angus along with some greens and starch.mr smokey joe provided the heat.all was washed down with a bud light colder than the titanics hull.
Love ya, Harry ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 156
alright ny culinary culprits. tonights fare had me dredging the likes of the local market because mr yamamoto took off with my goods.i told him to leave a crumb.bloody passersby.so up for you all is a a beautiiful donation by mr angus along with some greens and starch.mr smokey joe provided the heat.

Huh?? Geez, Pac, you do a brilliant imitation! Bowing once again to the food awesomeness.

We went to the movie theatre, got some popcorn, and my recently filled molar found the one old maid in the popcorn bucket. I now have half a tooth again.

We et movie theatre nachos and some popcorn. Until I broke a tooth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom