Your Best Homemade Dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure how I missed this post! Here are a few:

Apple pie
Butter cut-outs
Chocolate Cherry Chunk cookies
Spicy seared shrimp over mardi gras rice
Chicken barley chili
Vegetable risotto
Roasted sweet potatoes
Mexican Lasagna
Scones (ginger, apple, and chocolate cinnamon are our favorites)

choc, i'm getting hungry thinkin about your stuffed chops. thanks for the post. may i have the recipe for your salmon croquettes?

pa baker, may i have the recipe for your veggie risotto and mexican lasagna?

You bet, Bucky!

The veggie risotto recipe is at home in a cook book somewhere. I'll do my best to remember to dig it out tonight. If not, just remind me!

Here's the Mexican Lasagna.

Mexican Lasagna

3 Tbsp EVOO
2 lb ground chicken or turkey (low-fat--look for the 7% fat or less)
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
½ red onion, chopped
1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes or fire roasted chopped tomatoes
1 c medium (I use mild) heat taco sauce
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 c frozen corn kernels
Salt
8 (8”) spinach flour tortillas (I use whole wheat)
2 ½ c shredded Cheddar cheese or shredded pepper jack
2 scallions finely chopped

Preheat oven to 425F.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 Tbsp EVOO. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes and the taco sauce. Add black beans and corn. Heat the moisture through, 2-3 minutes, then season with salt, to taste.

Coat a shallow baking dish (9x13”) with remaining EVOO (I use non-stick spray). Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla cheese. Bake lasagna 12-15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.

buckytom said:
choc, i'm getting hungry thinkin about your stuffed chops. thanks for the post. may i have the recipe for your salmon croquettes?

pa baker, may i have the recipe for your veggie risotto and mexican lasagna?

Thanks bucky! Give me a few minutes to fire up the old canon cookbook lap top, and I will give you the recipe.

Here you go bucky!

MOM’S SALMON CROQUETTES

2 DE-BONED CANS OF SALMON MEAT
1/2 CUP MINCED ONION
1/4 CUP MINCED CELERY
2 EGGS
2 CLOVES MINCED GARLIC [OR TO TASTE]
SALT AND PEPPER
SALTINE CRACKER CRUMBS

MIX 2 DE-BONED CANS OF SALMON MEAT WITH 1/2 MINCED ONION, 1/4 CUP MINCED CELERY, 2 EGGS, 2 CLOVES MINCED GARLIC, AND SALT AND PEPPER. MIX WELL AND FORM INTO LARGE PATTIES. DIP PATTIES INTO EGG WASH, THEN CRACKER CRUMBS. IN A LARGE CAST IRON SKILLET WITH ABOUT A HALF INCH OR SO OF OIL, ON MEDIUM HEAT FRY TILL GOLDEN ON EACH SIDE. DRAIN ON PAPER TOWELS.

Sorry folks, but I use caps in my recipe cookbook. They are easier for me to read.

THAT"S OK CHOC, THANKS!!!!! :D i love salmon cake-like things, so do my parents. i think i'll make them when i see my family for our christmas brunch this year.

Bucky, you are always welcome to

"sleep all night in my soul kitchen, I'll warm your mind near my gentle stove, I'll never turn you out and let you wander baby"......

buckytom said:
here's my chicken and mushrooms au vin. i can't find the original post, so here's a repeat.

As you know I made this dish last night...another chicken dish to add to my repertoire!
Since you like to know about changes...firstly I have the chicken cut in 10 pieces (breast is 4) tips off wings..just my way of cooking all chicken braies and stews....this way I am able to take the white meat out first when cooking as it does cook faster than the dk..I learned this from David Roengarten..and its become a habit!
As you already know I cooked the bacon first w/a tad of canola oil..removed bacon and cooked chicken in that fat. Although I didnt use this method w/the lamb it's something I have done when browning meat for stews.
After removing chicken I cooked onion and garlic and left in pan when deglazing w/red wine.. I cooked mushrooms in a seperate pan w/butter...After deglazing added everything bk in and voilla a great dish.
Thanks!
PS I think the use of the portabellas is an interesting touch due to their meatiness.

thanks for the tweaks chez suz. i can see you have added some good techniques, stuff i still have to learn.

choclatechef said:
Here you go bucky!

MOM’S SALMON CROQUETTES

2 DE-BONED CANS OF SALMON MEAT
1/2 CUP MINCED ONION
1/4 CUP MINCED CELERY
2 EGGS
2 CLOVES MINCED GARLIC [OR TO TASTE]
SALT AND PEPPER
SALTINE CRACKER CRUMBS

MIX 2 DE-BONED CANS OF SALMON MEAT WITH 1/2 MINCED ONION, 1/4 CUP MINCED CELERY, 2 EGGS, 2 CLOVES MINCED GARLIC, AND SALT AND PEPPER. MIX WELL AND FORM INTO LARGE PATTIES. DIP PATTIES INTO EGG WASH, THEN CRACKER CRUMBS. IN A LARGE CAST IRON SKILLET WITH ABOUT A HALF INCH OR SO OF OIL, ON MEDIUM HEAT FRY TILL GOLDEN ON EACH SIDE. DRAIN ON PAPER TOWELS.

Sorry folks, but I use caps in my recipe cookbook. They are easier for me to read.

Oh yeh :!: I need to get my cast Iron pan out for that. I'm adding hot sauce to mine.

Good idea Bang.

I always use hot sauce after they are cooked, but your idea sounds good.

All this talk about the salmon croquettes have put me in the mood too...I bought a lg can of salmon yesterday!

Hi, there! I was looking for a chicken casserole recipe, but found your chix parmesan recipe instead. It sounds great! I have a few questions, though. Is hungarian paprika better/different than the kind that's labled simply paprika? Is parmasean reggiano different than regular parmesan cheese? What is evoo? How much butter and evoo do you add? (I don't need an exact amount, just an idea) Do you bake it at 350? Ok, it was a lot of questions...sorry! Thanks for your help!!

Chocolate Cake
Pot Roast (the kind everyone makes with onion and mushroom soup)
Peanut Butter Pie (not over powering w/PB)
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom