"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

We usually have a rib roast, beef tenderloin, or baked ham. I suppose we will have one or the other this year also. I don't know what veggies yet, but we will have fruitcake bars for dessert for dh, derby pie for the rest of us.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Thanks a lot for your answers and menus,I'd like to cook something more.. what is a derby pie?
Will you also have a dinner Christmas meal or not?
In Italy we have a dinner meal also...so we put on a lot of weight...:-((((
I think I'll have ravioli with broth and finish the appetizers (I adore them!)

Old 12-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Master Chef

We've been having the same traditional Christmas Day meal for as long as I can remember: Roast Goose with Port Wine Gravy, Czech Bread Dumplings with Sauerkraut, Butter-Braised Brussels Sprouts, a gratineed potato dish (I try a different one each year), & buttered dinner rolls.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
No plans here for Christmas so I'm not sure if I'll do anything special. Maybe share a Cornish hen with my kitties.

the holidays are tough without our loved ones. i am not very joyful in dec. since my husband died. it is better but still in my mind. he died in jan. 96. be kind to your self katie
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Executive Chef

My daughter and I are still tweaking it...but so far, this is what we have for the feast of the seven fishes, christmas eve.

Stuffed clams, anchovy and pignoli crostini, seared scallops, lobster ravioli with shrimp in sherry creme sauce, eggplant stuffed with crabmeat and toasted breadcrumbs, salmon wellington.

Traditionally, we have tiramisu for dessert. I also make strufoli and there are about 15 different types of christmas cookies to choose from.

At this point, the guest count is 9 for christmas eve.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
the holidays are tough without our loved ones. i am not very joyful in dec. since my husband died. it is better but still in my mind. he died in jan. 96. be kind to your self katie
Ohh I am deeply sorry about that ,I perceive how you feel,a big hug wth LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
My daughter and I are still tweaking it...but so far, this is what we have for the feast of the seven fishes, christmas eve.

Stuffed clams, anchovy and pignoli crostini, seared scallops, lobster ravioli with shrimp in sherry creme sauce, eggplant stuffed with crabmeat and toasted breadcrumbs, salmon wellington.

Traditionally, we have tiramisu for dessert. I also make strufoli and there are about 15 different types of christmas cookies to choose from.

At this point, the guest count is 9 for christmas eve.
Lovely!!!! My grandmother made strufoli because she was napolitan,I remember this cake that is not very easy to prepare... as it was nice to sit and chat all together during the Christmas dinner and taste strufoli....
Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
Master Chef

Not sure what Christmas will bring here. The extended family will be at my home the day after for our celebration. That will be home made pizza. We just fill out the day munching on all the Christmas goodies everyone has made or received. I'll make spiced cider as well. Usually we go to my son's restaurant for a meal Christmas Eve but may change that to Christmas Day this year since it will just be the immediate family.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

My Dad is in his eighties and due to poor eyesight and general health does not travel any more. My sister and I are both about an hour away from him in different directions. So for the past few years we have been "catering" the meal and taking it to Dad's. My sister does the turkey, stuffing and gravy and I do veggies, appies and dessert. Dad buys a little ham which we cook there and a bag of salad. This year I am doing
- baked mashed potatoes (you bake the potatoes, mash them with hot cream and butter andpipe them into shapes and then broil just before serving),
- mixed spaghetti vegetables (carrots, zucchini, celery and peppers frenched on the mandolin),
- brussel sprouts with onion and bacon
- dessert and appetizers to be determined soon (I hope)

We officially celebrate Christmas with DH's family this coming Sunday because there are so many coming from out of town (20 people in total) and I always have to bring my mustard carrots (mentioned in another thread). However, we do go to DH's parents Christmas Eve. We go to thier church and then have an evening dinner of rouladen and all the fixings.

So, I get three Christmas dinners!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Cook

Where do I begin

2 hams
2 turkeys
green beans
corn
mashed potatoes
gravy
homemade rolls
2 pecan pies
2 pumpkin pies
cheese cake
stuffing
baby lima beans
and there is more that I cant remember off the top of my head right now.