"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-17-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Your dream Cooking show?

If you were asked to create a brand new cooking show for TV, then how would you make it? What kind of food would you cook? What would it be called? Let's have fun... :p

Choo

Old 04-17-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You stuck your tongue out at us!!! :p hahaha

OK, the name of my show would be THE BASICS AND BEYOND . I have friends that call me for a recipe - like what is a great appetizer - and I say a Pesto, Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Torte - just layer your pesto, blah, blah, blah. I go through the whole thing.

Then they ask - where do I find sundried tomatoes, how do I make pesto, stuff like that - basic stuff. Let's say the 30 minute show would be on this torte. We would go over everything - how to make the pesto and maybe even shoot some footage in the grocery store showing how things look at the store and where you would most likely find them.

If the show were an hour long then the last 20 minutes or so would be a bunch of suggestions for what you could do with pesto other than this torte, or what different things you can do with basil - or how to garnish the torte. The pace would be slower than a lot of shows and be very informative and repetative in it's information. For that last 20 minutes it might even include information on growing your own basil and making your own sundried tomatoes.

Please join us next week for THE BASICS AND BEYOND when we will discuss that little mysterious thing called a caper! What are they and where do they come from!! Now go make something with pesto!

Old 04-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

it would have one all important factor, me as the star. And starting in November of 2002 you will be able to catch it once a month on Dayton and/or Columbus OH area public access.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

neat btd - good luck with it

Now, if I could just get that station!!!
Old 05-18-2002, 03:55 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

hmmmm...i love food science...i like to know how and why things work, not just how much of each ingredient....so anything in that area would be great.......i also think a cooking show for kids would be great... my daughter has started collecting her own cookbooks....shes 10...and my 12 Y.O. son loves to cook with me.....my kids both love watching cooking shows....they would love one just for them.....
Old 05-19-2002, 01:40 AM   #6
Senior Cook

jo_tp .....do you watch Alton??? :)

I'd love a show much like the original cooking show of all......one like Julia Childs show that I watched as a kid....with a bit of the "downhome" cooking of Justin Wilson. I think Elf's idea of BASIC and Beyond is great...........(Love the name)...Elf and I are probably thinking the same thing. Too many shows, even Cooking 101, are produced for people who already cook, using terms like "puree"....and don't explain how that's done, or why it's good for some foods, and not others... (Lawson makes a good attempt at Julia's style) Julia is still the Queen of Cooking Shows!
Old 05-20-2002, 04:11 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

norma....yes i love alton...i love cooking shows that teach...i like learning new techniques and tricks......a little bit humor thrown in is a good thing *L*
Old 05-21-2002, 02:27 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

A Probably Unseen Show

Hi all, Finally got to try the new Server (pun intended), WOW Choo, looks great.
We have a show on our version of FoodTV Called Cook Like a Chef. Feature about 8 Chefs doing, primarily, demonstration cooking. They do discuss and demonstrate a lot of techniques. Anyone remember Chicken Gallentine??? That was done today.
Some of the Chefs are know big hittters, and others are relatively unknown and really quite good.
Try foodtv.ca for a look at a few of the Bios and recipes (warning - many recipes are found under obscure names, rather than where you might expect to find them.
Oh well, it is Canada . . .
Finally,
David
Old 08-22-2002, 03:08 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

I enjoy cooking with alcohol. So much so that I decided to produce an independent cooking show. We are internet-based and broadcast on public access. If you are interested in seeing what you can do yourself, check out:

http://www.inebriatedkitchen.com

Why dream!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:32 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Dave - welcome to DiscussCooking!!!

I think you had WAAAAAAAAAY too much fun creating your "baby". Can't say I disagree with liking to cook with alcohol!! I just wish I could actually watch the show!!! I humbly bow to your endeavor and enthusiasm. :D

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote