"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
don't despair sham, our onion breath will cast off those oddball "sweet pizza" people. (just curious urm, is it called pizza dulce?)
You came very close, Bucky, however "dulce" is spanish, Italian for sweet is "DOLCE", thus pizza dolce

Quote:
i think there needs to be a distinction. pizza may have many toppings (fillings are another category, an abomination imo, being a thin crust guy), but it should only be classified as a "pizza" if it contains cheese and tomatoes on a foccacia like crust of varied thicknesses.
white, and all other pizzas that stray from these denominators should be called topped foccacias, or open face foccacias, or what have you.
Well Bucky, I think the version with cheese and tomato based sauce is the only kind of "pizza" that became spread abroad, so I don't really blame you for your comment. But if you come to the pizza capital of the world here in Italy, you will soon realise that white pizzas, which are served without any tomato sauce (which are called "red" pizza), are just as popular as the one with tomatoes, and there are endless varieties of white pizzas being enjoyed here. Actually I came to prefer in general the white version, as with the very thin and crispy Roman style pizza, tomato sauce tends to get the dough a bit too soggy if you don't spread it carefully and very thinly.

As I mentioned, in Italy the basic meaning of the "pizza" is the bread part, and there is a certain difference between the baked pizza dough (pizza bianca) and focaccia, With focaccia being much thicker, fluffier and often baked with some other ingredients, like olives or sun dried tomatoes. But then again, it is true that the Italian immigrants who has settled elsewhere a few generations ago were often cut off from any contacts with the folks from their homeland, and developed their own tradition over the time, which sort of branched out from the original version. So your point of view is probably "correct" in, say, Brooklyn. Also there are huge difference between pizzas between Rome and Napoli, in the end, it is pretty much like the discussion whether you say "to-mah-to" or "to-may-to"...

Quote:
but nun-ja call that crap ah-beetz!
What? Do you know some of the Napolitan dialect which I ever fail to comprehend???

Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #32
Senior Cook

lol tom, i agree, a pizza just isnt a pizza without red onions, and i dnt think i could ever imagine enjoying a sweet pizza

Old 07-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Good post! Umm... fresh mozzerella and white chedder cheese, deep dish, slightly chewy crust (dough made with lots of EVOO), topped with saffron and rosemary and basil and tarragon and lamb sausage and whole black olives, both olive oil and white sauce as the sauce, a huge crust stuffed with cheese.
Okay, that wasn't very good, but I can't really think right now.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #34
Master Chef

It may not be very avant gaurd, but it's what I like.
1. zesty tomato sauce spiced with oregano and red pepper, double thick.
2. Pepperoni, with enough space between the slices to see the sauce
3 itallian sausage chunks
4. sliced black ollives
5. sliced saute'd mushrooms (prochini preffered)
Shredded Muenster or Parmesano Regiano, or a mixture of shredded
havarti, Asiago, and provolone, thick enough to keep the pepperoni from overcooking
6. sliced onions
7. sliced green bell peppers
8. all on a deep-dish yeasty crust, breadlike, not biscuit-like in consistancy.

And if available, cooked over a hot, charcoal fire with a lid on it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Mix a little curry paste with water and use that as the base, add chicken and shaved onion. Simple and quite delicate.