"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #31
Master Chef
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
You Pennsilvania folks will know Summer sausage as Lebanon Balogna. (yours is better)
I LOVE Lebanon Bologna - the regular though, not the "sweet". I never knew there were 2 types before moving down here to VA where I ordered the sweet in error. Never again!

But Lebanon Bologna & cream cheese (& Genoa Salami & cream cheese) were were sandwich staples growing up at my house back in NY.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #32
Assistant Cook
My mom would make me crepes as a treat every once in a while. I would have them with butter and sugar and she would yell at me for eating them too fast!

Map out your future - but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip. Jon Bon Jovi
Yahoomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #33
Senior Cook
My all time favorite is peanut butter & jelly sandwishes. I sometimes have it for dinner. I have turned down full dinners just to eat my peanut butter & jelly sandwishes.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #34
Master Chef
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Summer sausage and creamcheese. Creamcheese spread on a piece of summer sausage and then another piece to cover then cut into little pie slices.

You Pennsilvania folks will know Summer sausage as Lebanon Balogna. (yours is better)

Years later I introduced my kids to it and they agree it rocks.
I have lived in Pa. since 1989 and never had Lebanon Bologna . One of these days I guess I will have to try it.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #35
Head Chef
I grew up in Ohio, but Mom was from East TN. She made us fried apple pies for a treat. They were hand-sized folded-over pie dough with cinnanmon apple filling, fried in melted Crisco in a cast iron skillet. Heavenly! From the corner store, a 'carton' of little wax bottles filled with sweet liquid. They were called Nikl-Nips or something like that and cost five cents. Don't know if they're still made as that was a loooong time ago.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #36
Sous Chef
When I was growing up (small town, rural) we had only one "fast food" joint. A Dairy Queen drive in. I loved their french fries dipped in chocolate shake. I haven't had that for over 30 years... thankfully. We don't even eat fast food now. I do still think about that treat, though I'd never eat it now!
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #37
Executive Chef
One of my Brighton Beach friends was into mustard sandwiches. Hard pretzels, knishes, pizza and sesame bars were the most readily available snacks in my neighborhood.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #38
I used to eat mayo sandwiches like crazy EWWW
My cooking site: http://yasalamcooking.com/

'Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
x7anooonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #39
Master Chef
i adored butter-sammiches as a tot. also applesauce, salads swimming in creamy cucumber, yogurt, neopolitan icecream, bleu cheese......

i, too, am a born pennsylvanian, & lebanon balogna? read of that before, yet to see a deli offer that, though.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #40
Master Chef
I used to love lox, mashed potato, and boiled egg when the yolk is soft and the white is hard (what is it called?)
And something I have never seen in the states, we had this farmers cheese mixed with something sweet, could be just sugar, with rasins and it was dark chocolate glazed, that was to die for.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote