Your favorite childhood snack(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
peanut butter and butter sandwiches are up there on the list.
good ole Mac N Cheese.
quesadillas and fried burritos with ketsup were common after school snacks.

Pizza Rolls
Pizza Bagels
Bake at home cinnamon buns
Nutella sandwiches
McDonalds Chocolate Cookies heated in the micro wave...i'm sure they were way worse for you back then...

Rice Crispy bars
Left over pie crust, yep, aforementioned
Kipper Snacks
saltines with chocolate frosting (sandwiched)
graham crackers and milk
milk and crackers, saltines crushed in a bowl like cereal, milk poured over top

OK - there's a difference between favorite snacks and most common childhood snacks. I rarely got my faves. My folks were big gardeners.

Standard snacks were along the lines of peanut butter on cabbage leaves or celery, a left over baked apple with some maple syrup (thought those were horrid at the time - silly me) or a piece of toasted bread with some cheese melted over. I still love those.

So my favorites were not on that 'mom' list and they included cocoa with a dollop of mint chip ice cream to 'cool' it down, potato chips with a chocolate milk chaser and cinnamon toast.

popsicles

I love ice popsicles..when summer comes my sister and i would make watermelon pops made of sugar, water, lime juice and we refrigerate it until it hardens..it reminds me of my childhood

watermelon-popsicles.jpg

I still do it when we have it in the house, and then yell at the kids if I see them doing it.

larry[/QUOTE]

:ROFLMAO:we all do that!!!

Among countless things,most common were toasted butter and jam sandwiches eaten with cold sweet milk and often dipped in the milk,a jam roll of fried flat bread,potato crisps,corn on the cob,sprinkled with salt,pepper and lemon juice(oh yum),puff pastry crushed and mixed with granulated sugar.Me n my bro used to eat it with spoons.Banana and mango shakes,sugar cookies,cheddar slices.Ok this could take a while but i guess i should just shut up and leave the thread as i'm having those wild cravings to consume some of these things RIGHT NOW.

Summer sausage and creamcheese. Creamcheese spread on a piece of summer sausage and then another piece to cover then cut into little pie slices.

You Pennsilvania folks will know Summer sausage as Lebanon Balogna. (yours is better)

Years later I introduced my kids to it and they agree it rocks.

Peanuts in my Coke..
Snickers.....
3 Musketeers.......
Fudgesicle.
Coke Float......
Ice Cream Sandwich ...
Orange Crush......
Barq's Root Beer....
BBQ Fritos...........
Mar's Bar........
Moon Pies.....
Goo Goo Clusters......

Black Cow (root beer & vanilla ice cream float)
7-Up over orange sherbert (dreamsickle float)
Milky Way bars
popsicles
Drumsticks

That's the store-bought stuff, for special treats; every day snacks were:
seedless grapes
crackers, plain or with peanut butter
popcorn
sliced apples (grandma sliced'em for me)
raisins
Jello (Mom taught me how to make it myself)
carrot and green pepper sticks

You Pennsilvania folks will know Summer sausage as Lebanon Balogna. (yours is better)

I LOVE Lebanon Bologna - the regular though, not the "sweet". I never knew there were 2 types before moving down here to VA where I ordered the sweet in error. Never again!

But Lebanon Bologna & cream cheese (& Genoa Salami & cream cheese) were were sandwich staples growing up at my house back in NY.

My mom would make me crepes as a treat every once in a while. I would have them with butter and sugar and she would yell at me for eating them too fast!

My all time favorite is peanut butter & jelly sandwishes. I sometimes have it for dinner. I have turned down full dinners just to eat my peanut butter & jelly sandwishes.

Summer sausage and creamcheese. Creamcheese spread on a piece of summer sausage and then another piece to cover then cut into little pie slices.

Years later I introduced my kids to it and they agree it rocks.

I have lived in Pa. since 1989 and never had Lebanon Bologna . One of these days I guess I will have to try it. ;)

I grew up in Ohio, but Mom was from East TN. She made us fried apple pies for a treat. They were hand-sized folded-over pie dough with cinnanmon apple filling, fried in melted Crisco in a cast iron skillet. Heavenly! From the corner store, a 'carton' of little wax bottles filled with sweet liquid. They were called Nikl-Nips or something like that and cost five cents. Don't know if they're still made as that was a loooong time ago.

When I was growing up (small town, rural) we had only one "fast food" joint. A Dairy Queen drive in. I loved their french fries dipped in chocolate shake. I haven't had that for over 30 years... thankfully. We don't even eat fast food now. I do still think about that treat, though I'd never eat it now!

i adored butter-sammiches as a tot. also applesauce, salads swimming in creamy cucumber, yogurt, neopolitan icecream, bleu cheese......

i, too, am a born pennsylvanian, & lebanon balogna? read of that before, yet to see a deli offer that, though.

I used to love lox, mashed potato, and boiled egg when the yolk is soft and the white is hard (what is it called?)
And something I have never seen in the states, we had this farmers cheese mixed with something sweet, could be just sugar, with rasins and it was dark chocolate glazed, that was to die for.

Back
Top Bottom