Your favorite childhood snack(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
Let us reminisce of our favorite childhood snack(s)!

Mine...

Peanut butter and syrup sandwiches
(In adulthood, it is peanut butter and honey...with a spoon!)

Ramon noodles on a slice of bread

All of my grandkids love sliced french bread slathered with butter then sprinkled with sugar and a cold glass of milk or chocolate chip cookies..homemade:).
kadesma

Ok. No laughing now.
I used to like lettuce (iceberg) on fresh Wonder Bread with some Miracle Whip and maybe a dash of salt.

Another one was a banana with Miracle whip and chopped nuts on top. My mom would serves the banana sliced in half lengthwise, on a lettuce leaf with the rest of the stuff instead of a salad sometimes.

And of course a tomato sandwich or a cuke sandwich. Being a little kid mine was a half a sandwich.

In the winter, hot chocolate and toast with the toast used to dip into the hot chocolate. She used either PDQ or Nestles powder. :LOL:

Ok. No laughing now.
I used to like lettuce (iceberg) on fresh Wonder Bread with some Miracle Whip and maybe a dash of salt.

No laughing? I cant help myself!!! :LOL: Na, just kidding, I actually left one out when I posted this link...for sake of saving face....but here goes....
a glass of milk with sugar and broken up white bread in it!!! omg!...right!! :ROFLMAO: Dont ask me where I came up with it...it think my grandma is to blame tho, but i dont remember. It sounds so gross now...lol! :LOL:

Cheese & crackers, head cheese (aka soulze) sandwiches, sardine & onion sandwiches - pretty much anything except peanut butter & jelly or any of the other "sweet" things. I was always a "savory" child - lol!!

we didn't snack at all when i was growing up. we had nice hardy three meals a day and that was it. once in a while and not very often we would make choco chip cookies and have a few of those.

Well, frankly. we HAD to have "snacks" growing up - lol. We lived towards the eastern end of Long Island, NY, & my father commuted by train to Manhattan every day. That meant he left the house at 5:30 a.m. every morning & arrived home between 7:30 & 8:00 p.m. at night. So we kids had breakfast, lunch at school, & a substantial "snack" (sandwich, soup, both, whatever we wanted etc., etc.) when we got home from school in the late afternoon (around 4:30 or so), & then had "dinner" when dad got home around 8-8:30 p.m. If dad phoned that he was going to be extra late, then we sadly had dinner without him, but this was life. And it was just this "life" that enabled us to grow up in the fabulous environment that was waterfront Long Island. Dad sacrificed a lot for us. But we really did need substantial "snacks" in this sort of lifestyle - much more than just "cookies & milk".

Mostly fruit, although my grandparents used to have these candies. I do not remember anything about them except they came in a black tin. I remember loving them though.

I was a savory kid and still love anything savory over sweet..One of my favorite things was when my grandpa would come in from the store he would bring fresh french bread still warm..I'd cut off a big hunk and put on mayo and slices of garlic, go out under the big tree in the back yard with a book and enjoy life.
kades:LOL:

Pickles, black olives, green olives . The problem is, that my mother would often buy these things specifically for a special dinner. So I would have to sneak into the pantry and "steal" them to bring up to my room and hide in the closet. I also used to love taking the betty crocker frosting too ( chocolate or vanilla).

Also, the chips ahoy cookies, mallowmars (sp), oreos but these were rare to find in my house. Once again, bought for special occasions.

When I met my girlfriend ( now wife) her mom would buy a whole bunch of crap that i would snack on when I visited her house. Entenmann's Chocolate covered donuts with redi-whip on top. Or sometimes just spraying the redi-whip directly in my mouth ( you know you-all did this too, heck, I still do it when we have it in the house, and then yell at the kids if I see them doing it ) Drakes coffee cakes, twinkies, sunny doodles.

I can go on forever, but I think these topped the list

larry

There are three things that immediately come to mind:

1) Skipping rope licorice - very long, and very thin and I would roll it up into a "snail" and suck on it most of the day. Even when you can find it these days, it is not the same as it is now three into one and not as supple (or as tasty);

2) Smooth peanut paste on fresh white bread with a glass of Coke. I would sit there with my knife and cut the bread into tiny squares - about 75mm square. It would take me forever to get through that snack!

3) Milk chocolate wheatens spread with Vegemite and topped with some cream cheese. Not for the feint hearted!

So much diversity amongst our community :)

Also, this is not really a 'snack' per say, but I remember my grandma would have in a glass jar those little strawberry candies in the little wrappers that looked like a strawberry. That brings back good memories.

No laughing? I cant help myself!!! :LOL: Na, just kidding, I actually left one out when I posted this link...for sake of saving face....but here goes....
a glass of milk with sugar and broken up white bread in it!!! omg!...right!! :ROFLMAO: Dont ask me where I came up with it...it think my grandma is to blame tho, but i dont remember. It sounds so gross now...lol! :LOL:

My mom used to do that only with buttermilk.
And no fair trying to save face. I let mine out you have to too!! LOL :ROFLMAO:

On Sat mornings, we kids would get up and watch cartoons eating saltines with butter. Peanut butter with mayo sandwiches were a favorite. When mom baked a cake, she would make extra frosting and spread it between graham crackers. Those were awesome! Now I need to go get some frosting and graham crackers!

Lucky Cakes, graham crackers with milk, social teas with tea, animal crackers, vanilla wafers, chocolate snaps.

chips and dip

We always have corn chips and bean dip at our house. i love munching on these stuff while watching tv and playing board games...those were the days..:)

tortilla-chips-bean_%7E48113.jpg

It's hard to pick just one thing. My mother always made sweets. Fudge, Lemon Meringue Pie, Cream Puffs, Pineapple Upside Down Cake,Cookies(chocolate chip, among others), cinnamon and sugar thingies, from pie crust scraps. Baked custard, Tapioca, oh, the list could go on and on............

My favorite snack was when my mother would bake a pie and there would be leftover pie crust. She would cut it into small pieces and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar and bake them. We would eat them warm. Oh, nothing taste better to my brother and I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom