your favorite food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
middie said:
i love steak,but i dont know why i can never make a good steak at home,it always turns out too dry....but that can be because i try to cook it all the way through because i cant stand raw meat,any ideas on how to make a juicy but well cooked steak?

how are you cooking and what type of steak and what grade?

well i dont have a grill,i just cook it in pan after the oil is well heated,i use olive oil and some butter,and i usually buy beef tenderloin.

What grade?

How do you prep it? Have done is it?

oh i use a large heavy based non-stick pan,and i marinate the meat in some salt,pepper,vinegar and flour,if thats what u r asking? i dont know what u mean by grade?

Bangbang said:
http://www.honestcuisine.com/archives/cooking/000653.html
thanx bangbang ! good info.....
but i've actually seen sara moulton cooking a beef steak in a pan,and not roasting it later in the oven :?
I AM SO CONFUSED! :(

sarah said:
Bangbang said:
http://www.honestcuisine.com/archives/cooking/000653.html
thanx bangbang ! good info.....
but i've actually seen sara moulton cooking a beef steak in a pan,and not roasting it later in the oven :?
I AM SO CONFUSED! :(

I have panfried steaks too but if you finish them in the oven you get better results if you don't like them rare. You just sear the steak in a hot pan and then finish in the oven. Use a heavy pan. I like to use cast iron. After doing this a few times you will know how long to leave it in the oven for the results you want. Let the meat rest before cutting into it so it remains juicy. This method takes some practice but works great.

try making your steak a little more than medium but not quite well.
that's what i do. depending on the cut of beef i guess because sometimes it's very tender and juicy, others times it's kind of tough.

I would eat vanilla bean ice cream
for every meal if I could get away with
it.!

When it comes to food, I am very fickle. I could never pinpoint one food as being my favorite. Unlike a lot of folks, I live to eat not the other way around.

I'm with Allen. No way could I decide a favorite food. There's just too much out there that is good. My current "favorite" tends to be what I cannot get where I live at any given point in time. Right now I simply cannot get Japanese and Indian foods unless I make them at home. We did just have a sushi party, but not as fun as sitting at a sushi bar. And I make my own variations on Indian quite often, but it is so much more fun to find a truly good Indian buffet or go to an Indian restaurant with a half dozen freinds so you can order a dozen dishes (seriously, do you think I'm cooking that variety for the two of us? And my freinds around here wouldn't eat it).

I find steak so much better at a restaurant than at home, because they can buy a better grade of beef that most of us can, even if we have a good butcher. I'm afraid I cannot imagine a delicious well-done steak, so you've lost me there. I'd just say you need more fat (marbelling) as the only way well done will be juicy. Of course, I'm the one who likes her beef ... well, raw!!!

I can't decide either. I keep passing this thread & thinking I could write a book on my favorites. But to name a few....pasta in any way, shape, or form, seafood(& I include freshwater fish here), steaks(I like a nice medium rare prime rib but any juicy tender steak as long as it's med-rare is fine too). I'm not too picky & will try anything at least once. I always ask my kids "How do you know you don't like it if you haven't even tried it?" I just wish that would work for hubby too. He's not nearly as advertrous as I am. He had never even been to a Mexican resturant until he met me! :shock:

i thought of my all time favorite. oysters on the half w/lemon and salt washed down w/ some cold beer.

crewsk said:
I can't decide either. I keep passing this thread & thinking I could write a book on my favorites.

Yeah, me too. Hence, no list. It would be too complicated. Depends so much on the time of year, who's eating with me (groaning with pleasure is rather embarassing if you're the only one doing it), what I'm in the mood for, yada yada.

GB said:
luvs_food said:
i thought of my all time favorite. oysters on the half w/lemon and salt washed down w/ some cold beer.

We need to go out sometime ;)

Those are good! It's been years since I've had any.
Time to go to the oyester bar again. :D

Back
Top Bottom