"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
coq au vin? what if one of the guests were an alcoholic?

or what if they were allergic to artichokes, or argumentative hosts?

of course my suggestion assumed lyndalou would ask about shellfish allergies. i mean, we're only talking about 4 guests, not the masses.

like my broken record, you made the same arguement the last time i suggested this. maybe we should only make suggestions of things that you think are ok, what do you think, breezy?
I don't care who you are, that was funny!

My location gives in to smoked brisket, pulled pork, and smoked beans. We also like a good fish fry, onion rings, hushpuppies, or try some fried whole belly clams. This time of year begs for watermelon for dessert. Grilled corn on the cob is great, also.

Try a low country boil and add some crab legs, spice it up w/Zatarans.

Just ideas. I'm hungry!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Head Chef

Baked Ham
Baked Mac-n-Cheese
Three Bean Salad
Buttermilk Biscuits w/Honey Butter
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Old 06-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Head Chef

Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and garlic zucchini .....

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My choice would be dictated in part by the weather. In the Northern Hemisphere, it's summer, and around here, that can mean pretty darn humid. If I were to serve pasta, it surely wouldn't be lasagna, which I think of as a "heavy" dish, and which also requires having the oven on for a long time -- thereby heating the kitchen unnecessarily.

A dish you prepare on top the stove will be cooler to fix. My most requested dish is Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce. It's easy, has only a few ingredients, and everyone loves it. To go with it, a big salad with a tangy vinaigrette, and a couple of fresh vegetables.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

my go to dish everyone loves is granny's chicken casserole. does require the oven being on. only for short while , to melt the cheese and brown the top. everything in it is cooked.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Being it's so warm now I go to my chicken fried, put on a large cookie sheet, that is sprinkled with salt,garlic powder dotted with butter and sprigs of rosemary put on the fried chicken an do again as the bottom of the pan then i sprinkle with white wine and bake til done through. I do this the day before then the day of I put on the counter let come to room temp. I also serve a large borl of pasta with pesto and have a side bowl of chopped tomatoes to garnish the pesto with, Garlic bread with parmesan. I do the bread outside on my dh's gas grill. Dessert is usually soft serve ice cream or a sorbet and crisp cookies and we always have cheese and fruit with Prosecco or white wine,ice mango tea.
kadesma
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
Cupcake

I have a chicken parmesan recipe that always turns out nicely. Basically, I use boneless chicken breasts and bread them with Italian bread crumbs. I bake them on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick. I heat water for pasta while the chicken bakes. I also start sauce heating and doctor it up a bit with some fresh herbs or mushrooms or whatever I have on hand. Just before starting the pasta, I add a ladle of sauce over each chicken breast and cover it with several paper thin layers of parmesan cheese. Back in the oven to bake while the pasta cooks.

Drain the pasta and mix the sauce over it thoroughly. I put a chicken breast with a good portion of pasta and garnish with a bit of fresh parsley or a sprig of oregano.

Crusty bread and a fresh salad round out the meal.

For dessert, some short bread cookies and ice cream or sorbet.

It can all be done within 30 minutes and so it is a good stand-by.

~Kathleen
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Head Chef

For me, a simple grill of quality salmon fillets, a few minutes on the grill, slightly on the medium rare side (NEVER OVERDONE!), good squeeze of lemon at the end, drizzle of good EVOO, and sea salt always wows everyone.

Simple accompaniments, like a saffron rice, really fresh veggie tray, or maybe some steamed veggies.

Another good one is an easy braise if you've got the time (not effort), lamb shanks if you got 'em (a little pricey), or beef short ribs. Brown them, saute a mirepoix, near the end toss in some fresh herbs (thyme is great), garlic. Toss it all on a pot with enough GOOD red wine to cover, cover and roast low 2-3 hours.

Again, simple sides. Polenta's good with this. Braising liquid has to be spooned over the polenta.

Everyone will think you are a culinary master.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
I have a chicken parmesan recipe that always turns out nicely. Basically, I use boneless chicken breasts and bread them with Italian bread crumbs. I bake them on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick. I heat water for pasta while the chicken bakes. I also start sauce heating and doctor it up a bit with some fresh herbs or mushrooms or whatever I have on hand. Just before starting the pasta, I add a ladle of sauce over each chicken breast and cover it with several paper thin layers of parmesan cheese. Back in the oven to bake while the pasta cooks.

Drain the pasta and mix the sauce over it thoroughly. I put a chicken breast with a good portion of pasta and garnish with a bit of fresh parsley or a sprig of oregano.

Crusty bread and a fresh salad round out the meal.

For dessert, some short bread cookies and ice cream or sorbet.

It can all be done within 30 minutes and so it is a good stand-by.

~Kathleen
Wow, that is spooky! That is almost exactly my go to recipe. The only thing I do different is to add some Mozarella at the same time as the parm.
I vary it sometimes by leaving out the pasta. Instead I like to roast small cubes of potato after tossing them in olive oil, chopped rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Lynda Lou....I would think local, fresh, seasonal. I like the idea of mostly make ahead dishes....A smoked (or otherwise) ham....Cold salads...Potato, Pasta, Fruit, Shrimp etc. ~~ Florida sweet corn is good right now...I guess I'm thinking casual, in the kitchen, "pic-nic-ey" stuff....

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote