"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Head Chef

Your favorite go to meal?

HI,

I am having 2 couples over for dinner on unday and wonder what you would serve for a very informal gathering. I have just had my kitchen done, and would like us to eat at the kitchen table. I've thought of lasagna, but wonder if anyone can come up with something a little different.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

My favorites are either ham or a roast - mainly because everything can be made ahead of time and most people enjoy them. I'm sure you will get lots of ideas.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Meat loaf, Big ole salad, garlic or cheese bread and Broccoli or cauliflower au gratin. For dessert - maybe fresh fruit with optional topping.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Head Chef

Salad with some fresh bean salsa as a topping - I like to use balck beans with fresh veggies finely chopped, lime juice, cilantro. I top romaine lettuce with this and some shredded mexican cheese

Enchilada or Enchilada type casserole dish - Chicken or Beef

Dessert a Flan - simple to make and bake ahead of time

I also love chili (can be made ahead), corn bread and any dessert that suits your fancy. I think a float would go great with this.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Master Chef

i would make a pasta/red sauce. cheese ravoili? i get those & luv them! :)
dessert- chocolate fondue. angel-food, frozen banana, strawberry, kiwi-fruit, poundcake & other fruits, cookies or cakesters, quartered.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

I think lasagna (or any other baked pasta dish) would be great. You could start with a terrific antipasto platter, then move on to the lasagna, a big green salad, & some terrific garlic bread. Maybe a tiramisu for dessert? Apart from the green salad, everything else can be made or at least prepped a day ahead, allowing you to enjoy your guests.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Master Chef

chili/bead/butter/drinks, too! that's another. if vegetarians attend, tempeh &/or tofu in half the chili; meat (beef stew meat, venison, burger meats- turkey or beef or chix & that for the others. various legumes included for both texture/contrast, & variety/color.
pre-shredded cheddar, or another cheese (these could be seasoned using a taco seasoning.)
tortilla chips, cheeses, sourcream, sliced scallion, frank's or tabasco may be offered as garnish.
crockpot this & used canned items before adding the drained, skillet-browned meat, or cook using your preferential way of. :)
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm starting to sound like a broken record, but my latest "go to", especially if i was cooking for guests would be shellfish in a fresh tomato basil sauce, served over squid ink linguini or angel hair.

it's very easy and doesn't take a lot of time. with the shellfish cleaned (scrub the clams, de-beard the mussels, shell and devein the shrimp, have containers of scallops and crabmeat ready) and the mise en place, well, en place, you can make this in less than 20 minutes or so while everyone sits at the kitchen table and has salad, bread, or maybe some kind of appetizer like prosciutto wrapped melon.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm starting to sound like a broken record, but my latest "go to", especially if i was cooking for guests would be shellfish in a fresh tomato basil sauce, served over squid ink linguini or angel hair.
Uh, while I myself like squid ink pasta, unless I knew my guests intimately as far as their food preferences, I would never serve what essentially is black pasta to folks I didn't know well enough that I could be sure they'd enjoy it or at least try it. Ditto to make sure none of your guests are allergic to shellfish.

Still think a baked pasta dish or perhaps a poultry braise like chicken with sausage & artichoke hearts (aka "Chicken Scarpariello") or even a French Coq au Vin would work best. Rustic, informal, & nothing at all last minute. Dishes that include linguini or Angel Hair pasta wait for no one. Baked pasta dishes & poultry braises can sit for quite awhile without loss of quality.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

coq au vin? what if one of the guests were an alcoholic?

or what if they were allergic to artichokes, or argumentative hosts?

of course my suggestion assumed lyndalou would ask about shellfish allergies. i mean, we're only talking about 4 guests, not the masses.

like my broken record, you made the same arguement the last time i suggested this. maybe we should only make suggestions of things that you think are ok, what do you think, breezy?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote