Your favorite restaurants off the beaten path...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fried fish

Washing Up
Do you have any restaurants that are somewhat local but out of the way? They have great food and reasonable in price?

Here there is one called The Dutch Village. They have killer breakfasts!

there's one here called manhatton deli (or however you spell it).
awesome breakfast buffet.
also one called alex's. thay have the best corned beef sandwiches.

mmmm.. reminds me of a good Reuben that this place called Miley's makes.. **drool**

I used to take the redline into cambrige (a good half hour and changing subways twice) at least twice a month to go to Casa Mexico which had very cheap, very authentic food. It was very greasy, very spicy, very un american. Even the beans tasted like home.

Unfortunatly it was too Un american (not enough guacamole and salsa) so they had to close down.

Now I'll still go into cambrige from time to time to visit Ana's Taqueria which is very cheap, very authentic and they at least sell burritos so that's enough to draw the usual crowd.

Also there's Farsika which is a great and kinda cheap ethiopian place but it's not exactly out of the way... I can walk to it in less than 10 minutes.

Casa Baeza has the best Mexican food and makes killer margaritas. 40 mile drive

Morning Thunder Cafe - homemade soups, sandwiches, salads, and orange spice tea, which I always order when I go there. 50 mile drive

Sierra Valley Lodge - prime rib and twice baked potatoes. 20 mile drive

Rickshaw's - Thai spring rolls, honey lemon chicken, Thai spicy basil chicken, tempura platter. 50 plus miles

Here in Houston it sometimes seems like everything is out of the way because the city is so spread out so I have a few restaurants I will drive 30+ minutes each way to go eat at, most noteably:
Thai Racha for Kee Mau
Wing-n-More for buffalo wings
Napoli's for Pizza for lasagna
Pho 21 for Pho
Pho House for Bahn Mi

I live in a small town in Lancashire England, we have a great pub/restaurant called the Fisherman's Retreat. There is a sign by the side of the road, and we thought it was just off the road. But we walked and there was another sign, and we walked and there was another, we walked up and up and up, we went past llamas, by which time I was saying to dh "oh my goodness, we've walked too far, we're in Peru!"

But in the middle of farming and woodland areas was this place, built of reclaimed stone. It has a fish pond with carp and trout, and occasionally they let you catch your dinner. The food is fresh, locally produced, and the service friendly.

They also have an amazing Guy Fawkes fireworks night in November with traditional English food. I love the place!

Kyles, I'm going to have to take a trip to Englad soon! All of the wonderful things you tell us about are making me really want to see the country--especially your neck of the woods!

mudbug said:
Corky's in Memphis for barbecue - for me, about 900-something miles.

But they will FedEx an order.
I have heard of them... I think FN had a thing on them when they were doing bbq week last summer.

Wouldn't be surprised, fried fish. They are getting to be as well known as other more-famous Memphis BBQ outfits like the Rendezvous and Interstate Barbeque.

mudbug said:
Wouldn't be surprised, fried fish. They are getting to be as well known as other more-famous Memphis BBQ outfits like the Rendezvous and Interstate Barbeque.
yeah, I'm sure I saw it.. I think it was on a Bobby Flay show.

There is a local place here called Tom's BBQ Pit. He started out with just a little stand in the summer months. Now he has 2 places in town... actual restaurants. People flock there for the best bbq'd chicken and potato salad in town!

Several come to mind. The Maine diner in Wells Maine, great breakfast, the Ogunquit lobster pound in Ogunquit Maine, Chicks drive In in West Haven CT for their fantastic seafood, burgers, chili dogs, Peppino's in Maine for great mexican food, and a great little restaurant in London but I cant recall the name.

When we used to live in Orlando, would drive about 40 miles to the Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, about 12 miles from the Kennedy Space Center.

Have fantastic shrimp, and specialize in rock shrimp that taste like lobster.

It is a very family type atmosphere and the prices are quite reasonable.

Here's a link:

http://www.nbbd.com/dixiecrossroads/

Now we live about 800 miles away, but we try to get there whenever we are in Florida.

Suggest you go for a very early or late lunch or early dinner, no reservations taken and the lines during peak feeding hours can be long.

Favorite Restaurants

Hey Fried Fish where are you from. There is one near me by the some name. I am near Gettysburg, PA. My favorite out of the way is a place called Famous Lunch. Excellant food at a good price. And oh my those hot dogs.

Re: Favorite Restaurants

goodgiver said:
Hey Fried Fish where are you from. There is one near me by the some name. I am near Gettysburg, PA. My favorite out of the way is a place called Famous Lunch. Excellant food at a good price. And oh my those hot dogs.
I'm from western ny... south of Buffalo.. there is a place called Tom's BBQ Pit down there?

:LOL: Norgeskog... there are a lot of "off the beaten path" places around me too!

El Cid Mexican Food in Oakhurst, CA.. It's along Highway 41 about 20 minutes south of the gate to Yosemite National Park. I spent most of my life in San Diego, and I'm obsessed with mexican food (to the point where I'll eat good mexican food even when I know it agrivate my reflux). So I wasn't expecting much when I tried this place. It was a joy to find a source of good mexican food so (relatively) close when I was working/living in the park. I knew that this place would be good as soon as my knife started cutting my enchiladas - the beef was shredded, not ground - use of the latter is a cardinal sin in my book.

So if you're on your way into or out of Yosemite.....give it a try. It also has one or two other restaurants in the Central Valley of California, but I haven't tried them.

pogue, if you like mexican... you should try The Taco Hut here in my neck of the woods!

Back
Top Bottom