"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
that was a great idea, pdswife. We did something similar for our wedding reception. Had a pig roast about a month after. The invitations told everyone to bring their own lawn chairs. We had a blast.
Wonderful! Much more relaxed and low key than a planned reception right after the wedding.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

There were so many odd ones. But one stands out. We'd just returned to Hawaii for one of our last military assignments, and were invited over to a freinds' for a last blow-out before they left for the mainland. The hostess was definitely THE Hostess with the Mostest. Always threw great dinner parties of exotic ethnic cuisines, great props and drinks, casual, fun. Well, one of the guests made comments a couple times about parts of my anatomy. Huh? I was dressed very modestly (a polo shirt and pleated shorts), especially by Hawaii standards (heck, that's practically formal there). I sure wasn't anyone's idea of a dream girl. I just put him off, and eventually we sat down to table, and our hostess mentioned her lifetime dream of retiring to a little place in the country in France (you have to understand in this crowd all were well-travelled, all had lived overseas for at least a half-dozen years, many were at least bilingual). This man started yelling at her because she was unpatriotic! This in a crowd where everyone had served at least 15 years in the military! Our hostess was a pistol, though, and collected hats. She had a communist Chinese military cap (given to her husband in exchange for his by a Chinese soldier). She put it on, and proceeded to march around the table singing the Marseilaise (sp). Her guest, instead of seeing that it was a joke, grabbed his wife by the arm and said they were going to leave this hotbed of anti American feeling, and they left. We were laughing so hard we were falling off of our seats. Hubby and I thought it was a huge practical joke (typical for our hosts). It turned out the guy was having a hard time in dealing with his impending retirement, and had gone off the male menaupause edge of the pool. He'd made similar comments about other women's body parts during the party -- simply not normal in our crowd. We were the only couple who didn't know him and they all said it was way out of character. But we've laughed about it for years since!!

Old 01-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
Head Chef

This was my best friend's experience, not mine:

She and her husband attended a group dinner at a colleague's new house. The food was abundant and sumptuous but every dish was so rich and laden with cholesterol. There was absolutely nothing safe to eat. My friend couldn't believe her eyes and ate with so much anxiety for her and her husband's health.

Anyway, a year passed and they got invited to the same house for another group dinner. My friend was dreading the food but went anyway. Guess what? The table was laden with exactly the same dishes as a year ago.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

a very ecclectic friend/co-worker of mine invited myself and dw to a party in his apartment down in noho (north of soho) a few years ago. he and i were drinkin buddies, and whenever we got trashed, we would start to talk about really odd philosophy and religion, but that was just between he and i, so i figured a party with lots of our comrades was safe.
when we entered his place, we were immediately whisked in to the living room, where, surrounded by other shocked couples, a girl did a dance to the full moon, mostly undressed, with a 10 foot banana python. it was very suggestive, if you are a cold blooded reptile, or from another planet.
after the "show" we wandered into the rest of the apartment, only to find little groups of his friends, hanging out together in various rooms.
i the kithchen were a gang of lesbian biker chicks (who were really cool and a lot of fun, and were cooking up a storm), and in one of the bedrooms was a mixed group of flamingly gay men, a rabbi and his son, and some members of the nyc hell's angels, all playing a big tournament of chess. we ended up coming in second in the tournament, partly because the "girls" in the kitchen scared dw, and partly because everyone sucked at chess.
i was ok with all of this, but dw was pretty freaked out, and wondered what type of guy i was to have such odd friends.
the whole way home, i tried to explain to her that while it was a bit of a freak show, it was actually a good thing to see so many people letting their freak flags fly, and all getting along and having fun.
we haven't been back since, but i'm looking forward to seeing how much the python grew someday...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:55 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
Pam - that's such a coincidence, I was an Art Student too (way back), now I'm training to be a nurse, but I still love painting these beautiful Colorado mountains in watercolour :) I see you also love fairies - one of my favourite fairy artists is Amy Brown, her fairies are so cheeky looking! My daughter (14) draws fairies all the time, using coloured pencil - we are going into town tonight because she has some of her artwork on show in the Young Artists Showcase exhibition :)

Paint.
My daughter did the fairies for me (14 in March). The exhibition sounds fun. Where do you live? In Denver? I grew up in the Denver area, went to school in Greeley and taught in Lamar.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:22 AM   #16
Head Chef

I think Buckytom gets the prize. What an evening that must have been. :)
Old 01-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, thanks lyndalou. it was an experience. every time i mention to dw that i'm goin out for a beer with the guys, and my buddy joe (who threw the party) is one of them, i just get that look from her.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Pam - I'm out in Falcon, about 10 miles east of Colorado Springs :)

Paint.