"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-01-2005, 05:55 AM   #21
Head Chef

I'm like Nicole and Bangbang can't flip an egg, ever. I always break the yolks. My husband cooks his own, or we go out for breakfast, if he wants fried eggs. I do a great scrambeled (sp?) egg, though.

How the heck do you spell it?You know, scrambeled. Duh. :) :?

Old 03-01-2005, 05:59 AM   #22
Head Chef

Buckytom, go to the site that Rainee posted called recipegoldmine.com. It has a home remedy for your gassy problem. :)

Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I know I've ruined several good meals. I usually do this when I'm making Cajun. I don't have as much heat tolerance as I used to, and I never did have the heat tolerance that Cajuns do. PeppA has even less. So, I usually really cut back on the red pepper, and about half on the white and black peppers. PeppA always makes sure to have a glass of milk and some bread nearby when I make Cajun :twisted:

One meal in particular, was back when I was first teaching myself how to cook, before I ever went to college to learn. I was making a batch of Chicken and Dumplings. I used Bisquick for the dumpling recipe. I made the mistake of salting the broth for the stew at the start of the cooking process. When I added the dumpling dough an hour later, it tasted fine. After the dumplings cooked, and I started eating it, it was WAY TO SALTY! That's when I realized that Bisquick, along with many packaged products, contain a lot of salt to help improve the flavor.

I flip a lot of eggs, especially omelettes (I'm the Sunday Brunch omelette station chef at work, in addition to my regular duties). Here's some things that help:

A teflon-coated nonstick pan is a must.
Some kind of liquid fat, either oil or clarified butter. This makes the nonstick pan "slicker than snot"
A large slotted nylon spatula to lift eggs out of the pan.

I've learned to "spin" eggs and omelettes in the pan, usually counter-clockwise. This helps me to align an omelette with the plate, as the members usually already have food on that plate. For fried eggs, I've found that it's best to keep the yolks towards the handle. When you flip them (by tossing), that side of the egg gets "dragged" and flips (gently) without putting a lot of stress on that membrane the contains the yolk. If the yolks are on the other side of the pan, they travel a long distance, and "slap" into the pan, usually breaking the yolks. I've also been prefecting a technique the doesn't involve a lot of motion to flip them. The softer the flip, the less chance of breaking yolks.

That said, I usually break yolks 50% of the time, but then, I'm not making eggs over-easy at work, only at home, so I don't get a lot of practice.

I use the slotted nylon spatula to lift the eggs out of the pan instead of just sliding them into the plate. This reduces the amount of fat that gets ingested, which helps with your cholesterol.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #24
Head Chef

I've made waaaay too many bad meals to list, but one of the worst was the first time that I made venison sausage. My GF had bought me a KitchenAide mixer for Christmas with the grinder and sausage stuffing tube. I followed a recipe calling for 3/4 venison to 1/4 pork shoulder, I ground the meat together, mixed in the seasonings, stuffed the casings, let them sit in the fridge overnight and called my hunting buddies to come over to watch football and eat homemade deer sausage. I cooked them on the grill and served them with grilled onions and peppers on a roll. They were sooo dry, it was like eating sawdust! Even the onions and peppers couldn't save them! Oh well, at least we had pretzels, chips and beer :roll:
Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
One of my more interesting disasters was my attempt to make stuffed tomatoes after seeing something similar on Iron Chef.

I mixed up some mozzerella and parmesan cheeses with basil, olive oil, and salt, mixed that in with what I pulled from the hollowed-out tomatoes, then stuffed it back into the tomatoes to bake.

What I learned is that this doesn't work with large tomatoes.

By the time the outside was all done and melted, the inside hadn't even seen any heat yet. They didn't really taste very good.

If I decide to try something like that again, I'll make sure to use the smaller roma tomatoes.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to nicole
Ok, Last night i was going to make brownies for my dad. When i put the mix into the pan, I thought to myself, geeze, these are a little thick ! so, I still put them into the oven. 25 mins later there were bubbling like a Volcano . " MOM!!!," calling her into the kitchen asking her if they are supposed to be like that and she said UMMM.. NO! so we were wondering what the Heck happened :? . She asked me why are there 2 eggs on the counter???? Yeah! i forgot to put in the eggs.... OMG were they ever soooo NASTY! I can add this to the worst meal i ever made list.:-(
Old 03-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #27
Master Chef

Gee, you always hope you've outgrown having a flopper of a meal, but a couple of days ago I cooked something called Swedish sausages. Thank heaven I'd made some pretty good potato pancakes, because the sausages tasted like .... nothing. I browned them nicely, seasoned a little, but it was just ... nothing. Hubby and I have an ongoing battle of the bulge (we've mostly given up on it) and don't like to eat food that doesn't taste.

Worse disasters, though, have been a pizza that skid over the peel, over the stone, and landed in the back of the oven (Hello, Dominoes?). A few times I've run into unpredictable heat in seasonings. We like hot, so when I cook for others I try to be careful. Still I've occaisionally gotten more heat than guests can take from unexpected sources such as paprika and black pepper (!) Having grown peppers for years I know that they are very unpredictable, so I try to be careful. But that one time I got HOT black pepper corns I was thrown for a loop (they were delicious), ditto the "sweet" paprika (you know, that red square can we all know and love) that was hotter than any "hot" paprika I've ever cooked. All these meals were loved by hubby and me, but really threw a couple of guests for a loop (Yes I knew about it and had alternatives around!!!).

The best kitchen companion is your sense of humor and a back-up of failsafe, fast dishes you can sub at the last minute1!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #28
Master Chef

I have very little trouble flipping eggs as I use a well seasoned cast-iron pan for frying them in. It gives just enough friction to allow me to slip the spatula under the egg. My flipping motion is to roll the spatula through the air as if it were moving around a barrel. The keeps the height to a minimum and places the egg precisely in the pan. I do the same with pancakes. That way I can crowd the griddle and still not end up with pancakes on top of each other.

If you truly can't flip eggs, don't. Cook them until the whites are nearly set, then add a couple tbs. of water and cover. This finishes the whites and creates a pretty pink membrane over the yolk. Then simply remove to the plate.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:19 PM   #29
Master Chef

I also had a 'brontosauras' rib split a vein after being cooked on the grill to perfection, squirting blood all over my guests. You know it's a true friend when she just wiped the blood off of her and her hubby, and both just dug back in without much of a blink, but much laughter. I know people who probably wouldn't touch meat again for months after such an experience. Given that the vein in question can't have been more than an inch long, and that the meat was cooked to medium or medium well, I still cannot figure out how much blood stayed in liquid form to cause that much of a fountain!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Cook them until the whites are nearly set, then add a couple tbs. of water and cover. This finishes the whites and creates a pretty pink membrane over the yolk. Then simply remove to the plate.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Thats the way I do it. They look fantastic when cooked this way.