your worst meal you made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol ekim, been there before. kind of a macho thing not to flinch or sweat in a hot pepper eating contest, but you always get to pay the piper the next day...there ain't no atheists in foxholes.

A turkey at Thanksgiving. At the last min. a storm prevented us from going elswhere. I bought a frozen hen and defrosted it in the micro-wave. I baked it and it was so tough the dog wouldn't eat it.

Oh, I wasn't trying to be macho. I was just plain ignorant of the power of peppers, then too dang stubborn to throw it out! Oh, Vanity!!

I made an apple cake a couple years back that needed to be lined with parchment paper and cooked on low for a long time in the oven. Well, I didn't have any parchment paper and used waxed paper instead. The cake turned out okay, but I was picking out pieces of congealed wax for a good while before I served it. And even after the wax was gone, it still had a weird "waxy" flavor to it. Gross! I can't believe I ate it.

Sara

I was tired, and somebody had given me a can of Dinty Moore beef stew. I warmed it up and prepared to dig in.

UUUGGGGHHHHH! It tasted like dog food.

purrfectlydevine,

Thnks for the words of encouragement about turkey roasting:) ...I am curious as to how you re-heat your turkies the next day...I am wondering if that isn't the way to go and decrease the STRESSSSSSSS :ROFLMAO: on T-Day!!

Thanks...Lyn

Lyn, We rely heavily on crock pots, 6 qt. Nesco roasters and 18 qt. Nesco roasters (with insert if needed). After the bird has been sliced it is put in plastic containers with some broth, canned if there isn't enough. On T-day it is transferred to one of the above and reheated slowly. The Nescos have a very low setting. Just check to make sure things aren't heating too fast or drying out. Filling gets reheated with a little broth. Sweet potatoes are done early and transferred to a crock pot to keep warm. The gravy is made ahead and reheated in a roaster with the inserts (put water in the roaster to make a steam table). Baked corn goes in the crock pot early too. The only thing made close to dinner is the mashed potatoes. The worst of the dishes, roasting pan etc. are done with before the meal. We buy nice, but disposable, plates, cutlery, and cups. There's usually 15-20 people so there's lots of people to carry out trash, pack up leftovers, and wash the crock pots etc. With that many it is buffet style. Between my mom, sister, and me we have 3 of each "reheater". The only thing you have to watch is overloading a circuit. I'm here to tell you, it is sooooooo much easier that way, plus if you mess something up, there's time for a "do-over" and nobody has to know.

purrfectlydevine,

Thanks for the ideas...I am going to cut and paste this to save until next T-day!! I certainly like the idea of the Nesco roaster--I just got one for Christmas!!

Thank you very much!!:)
Lyn221

Lyn, you are very welcome. We've been doing T-day this way for years. (Since the second turkey refused to cook)

Back
Top Bottom