"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 08-03-2016, 02:28 AM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
As a general rule I'll try anything except something with more than 4 legs that doesn't come out of the sea/river, etc. I may not like it but I won't know until I try it.

I'm with you on the British "type" menus offered in a certain type of bars and pubs in Spain and similar places.

Even in Cairo I was happy to go to a restaurant catering for locals which was recommended by the guide we were with, rather than the big chain hotel. The majority voted down the scared-i-cats and the meal was lovely, the restaurant and staff were spotlessly clean and so was what we could see of the kitchen and the staff were friendly and helpful. There were, however, complaints from the zenophobes so we had to go to the Cairo Hilton the next day. OK but very boring and a rude Maitre d'.

Eating the food is part of the foreign travel experience and I've never suffered ill effects from what I've eaten abroad. I might struggle a bit with the portions shown on "Triple D", but I'd have a damn'd good try

There is a Scottish Pub in Vermont. About as authentic as you can get. Bangers and mashed potatoes are their biggest sellers. (the taters needed salt.) So when the waiter came to take our order, his brogue was as Scottish as possible. I automatically answered with the brogue that I picked up from my first husband. (He was born and grew up right on the border of Scotland.) Not only shocked myself, but my son and the waiter. I apologized to the waiter and explained that the only way I could understand my husband sometimes was to learn to speak with the brogue. And responding to the waiter with a brogue was just reflex.

Before the meal ended we were treated to a concert of bagpipe music. The waiter told us that his wife did all the cooking upstairs in their home kitchen. No fancy plates, pistol handle knives and forks, and as much tea as you could drink. We sat in high backed wooden booths. One of the most pleasant evenings of dining out I have ever had. When my son tried to settle up on the bill, the owner thanked up for one of his most happy evening he had, had in a long time. My son left him a hefty tip.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #112
Assistant Cook
This was really helpful stuff.Thank you.......

janaewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #113
Senior Cook
I have eaten fermented shark and I have tried surströmming, I think I done my bit for being adventures .

For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote

cultures, experimenting, international cuisine