"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #11
Head Chef

Jenny , any particular experiences from your travels ?

Addie , I have never been to the U.S. but I need to remedy that , would love to see Boston .

Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Travel food

We are fairly adventurous, and my theory is if it does not move I will try it once. We ate the new herring in Amsterdam, and ate our way through Les Halles market in Lyon.
We had a lovely wedding lunch for 2 at Gallini, a small restaurant in Santorini with tables out on the beach
On our last cruise we took a 10 hour culinary tour through Lima that featured lunch and dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4769.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	22730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4807.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	22731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 127.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	22732  

Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

Wonderful pics Souschef
Old 04-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
That's interesting WP , is it anything like Ouzo ? (drank lots of that in Corfu , it made me think I could dance ) .

Yes, very similar. All alcohol makes me think I can dance.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A few years ago on one of our trips to Mexico, we went cantina hopping back in the 'hood with friends. For every round of drinks, they bring you new botanas (snacks). We had ceviche, whole fried fish, little veggie things, whatever the chef has in mind. Some botanas were unidentifiable, some were inedible to all but the locals, but all were fun.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yup, I'll try just about any of the local food with Souschef's caveat that it not be moving.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon, if I was ever lucky enough (or financially able enough) to travel abroad, I would absolutely plan my travels around the local cuisine. Luckily, I grew up eating all manner of foods that a lot of folks don't cotton to. Tripe, for example, can be sublime.... provided it has been properly cleaned. Of course, to each his or her own. I relish the thought of trying things I have never eaten before. I have been mostly impressed by the unusual dishes I have tried in the past. One thing I really want to try the next time Mrs Hoot and I travel to PA is blood sausage. However, I reckon I will have to try it when she ain't around. She has a weak stomach when I even talk about it.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Jenny , any particular experiences from your travels ?

Addie , I have never been to the U.S. but I need to remedy that , would love to see Boston .
A lot of history to see and learn about. We love tourists. I have always gone out of my to help them. A number of years ago our mayor decided to have signs put up everywhere letting us know that to be kind to tourists is to be kind to Boston. Evidently his campaign worked. To this day we go out of our way to help tourists. If one would stop me and ask where a good place to eat was, my answer always started with "Well it depends on your wallet." If it is flush with money I would send them to the Union Oyster House. If not then to a restaurant in the North End. Or to any of the restaurants at our tourist trap. Fanuiel Hall. That was always my last resort though.

Look forward to know you made it here.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm reminded of seeing Billy Connolly (Scottish comedian). He talked about Boston. He mentioned the fact that they bragged about all their history. Then he tells about growing up in a part of Glasgow with "New" in the name. It wasn't new anymore when Boston was built.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm reminded of seeing Billy Connolly (Scottish comedian). He talked about Boston. He mentioned the fact that they bragged about all their history. Then he tells about growing up in a part of Glasgow with "New" in the name. It wasn't new anymore when Boston was built.
We treasure out history. The Revolutionary War came because Bostonians were tired of paying taxes on everything that came into the harbor. So the folks rebelled and refused to pay them. As a result, the installed authorities blocked off access to and from Boston. They thought they could force us into submission. Just the opposite happened. From there on in, it was war. It is that New England stubbornness taking over. And we still have it today.

We do love our history and share it every chance we get.

Tags
cultures, experimenting, international cuisine