"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We treasure out history. The Revolutionary War came because Bostonians were tired of paying taxes on everything that came into the harbor. So the folks rebelled and refused to pay them. As a result, the installed authorities blocked off access to and from Boston. They thought they could force us into submission. Just the opposite happened. From there on in, it was war. It is that New England stubbornness taking over. And we still have it today.

We do love our history and share it every chance we get.
Nothing wrong with sharing your history. My comment had to do with the fact that Bostonians kept telling him how old Boston was. I guess I didn't express that well.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Andy let us know how you get on , I use a Jamaican recipe , with all purpose seasoning, a key spice in Jamaican cooking . Do you have a recipe in mind ? I only went to Aruba once , en route to Peru .
No, GQ, no specific recipe. I just figured I'd find one when I needed it.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
One thing I really want to try the next time Mrs Hoot and I travel to PA is blood sausage.
I love blood sausage. When I was young, my Grams who was German used to make it. Served alongside her home made sauerkraut.

I've had Jerk Chicken in Jamaica, Fried Conch in Grand Cayman, among other things I've eaten on travels. We were raised to be adventurous eaters.

Randy wants to start a local Adventure Eating club soon and we'd go to some pretty exotic places. I'm looking forward to it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
A lot of history to see and learn about. We love tourists.
Addie,

Every time I see the TX Rangers play the Boston Red Sox, I'm so amazed at how nice the Boston Fans are.

I really would love to see the Green Monster in person one day and watch some totally excellent baseball. Any game at Fenway would be a good game, really.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #25
Master Chef

Mae, if you plan on going to Fenway, start saving now. It's the most expensive ticket and the park with the most expensive beers.

Gravy Queen, Himself and I aren't the Travel-Abroad kind of people either. Considering the contiguous 48 states are over 3,000,000 square miles, we have more territory to cover than the entire EU. The regional cuisines are varied enough that you have plenty of opportunity to be adventurous with food choices. When we're out, Himself takes bigger chances with the protein, while I'm always game to try some different vegetable or fruit. Although I think I enjoyed all types of foods as a child (kidney stew, kiszka-blood sausage, czarnina-duck's blood soup) I just can't come up with a taste for them now. However, I'm fine with trying a familiar meat or fish prepared in a different way. That said, I still like my sushi well-done.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Nothing wrong with sharing your history. My comment had to do with the fact that Bostonians kept telling him how old Boston was. I guess I didn't express that well.

I got it :-)
Old 04-15-2015, 03:26 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Mae, if you plan on going to Fenway, start saving now. It's the most expensive ticket and the park with the most expensive beers.

Gravy Queen, Himself and I aren't the Travel-Abroad kind of people either. Considering the contiguous 48 states are over 3,000,000 square miles, we have more territory to cover than the entire EU. The regional cuisines are varied enough that you have plenty of opportunity to be adventurous with food choices. When we're out, Himself takes bigger chances with the protein, while I'm always game to try some different vegetable or fruit. Although I think I enjoyed all types of foods as a child (kidney stew, kiszka-blood sausage, czarnina-duck's blood soup) I just can't come up with a taste for them now. However, I'm fine with trying a familiar meat or fish prepared in a different way. That said, I still like my sushi well-done.

Yes but it's a huge planet out there . If we limit it just to eating then I probably wouldn't have to move off my beautiful small island so size doesn't matter :-)

The point is experiencing not only the cuisine but the culture in a different country .Getting out, being curious . That's how countries were found after all , it's how we evolve , we explore, we are a curious species thankfully .
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
We treasure out history. The Revolutionary War came because Bostonians were tired of paying taxes on everything that came into the harbor. So the folks rebelled and refused to pay them. As a result, the installed authorities blocked off access to and from Boston. They thought they could force us into submission. Just the opposite happened. From there on in, it was war. It is that New England stubbornness taking over. And we still have it today.

We do love our history and share it every chance we get.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I reckon, if I was ever lucky enough (or financially able enough) to travel abroad, I would absolutely plan my travels around the local cuisine. Luckily, I grew up eating all manner of foods that a lot of folks don't cotton to. Tripe, for example, can be sublime.... provided it has been properly cleaned. Of course, to each his or her own. I relish the thought of trying things I have never eaten before. I have been mostly impressed by the unusual dishes I have tried in the past. One thing I really want to try the next time Mrs Hoot and I travel to PA is blood sausage. However, I reckon I will have to try it when she ain't around. She has a weak stomach when I even talk about it.
Last year I had to go to Brussels for some training, Although I was in the training rooms all day we did get let out at night

(Mrs Wyshiepoo had a much better deal than me, as the hotel was paid for I suggested that all I had to do was pay the extra travel fare and she could join me. She spent the entire week sight seeing and shopping.)

Once we had got back to our rooms and freshened up we tried a different restaurant each night. One evening we tried a Chinese/Asian type restaurant called Beijingya. I chose this as it had good reviews on Tripadvisor for authenticity. In fact I chose most of our restaurants as the resident foodie.

I chose Cows Stomach with something or other, can't remember the exact name, and the lady taking my order looked shocked and said "no no no sir that isn't for the likes of you, you won't like it!"
Good naturedly I insisted and eventually she agreed. It was delish. I'll dig up the pics!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
So true! One of the reasons why the fans from Boston are behaving themselves is that they are older and have the money. Younger fans can't afford the cost of supporting the team and travelling to other parks.

So you have the middle age fans at the park. They aren't as prone as the younger set to being rowdy. Instead of going to the park, they buy the Red Fox clothing to show their support. Jerseys, hats, etc. While the older folks are at the park, the younger ones are in a sports bar watching the game and cheering for them. Also Boston is not as rowdy city. You don't hear of Boston having riots. And Boston is a city of young college kids who can't afford to get into trouble by acting up. If their college gets wind of them raising hell, they can be/are facing expulsion from their college. So then they have to face their parents who are supporting them. The only time you may hear of us making a loud noise is when it comes to the Yankees in New York. Yet at the same time we have given a Yankee player a standing ovation at Fenway or even at their park if the player has accomplished or set a new record. We recognize a personal accomplishment and appreciate it. So if a Ranger hit a grand slam, we would give that player a standing ovation even in their own park.

Just a side note. There are more than 400 accredited schools of higher learning in Boston and Cambridge. Some of the schools are tiny and folks here don't even know they exist. Like the union for welding, carpentry etc. My son-in-law teaches at the welding school. If you have time to riot or act up in public, you are not the kind of person the union wants as a member. Out you go! You won't be expected to attend class the next day. Or any day there after. Behave yourself or out you go.

Tags
cultures, experimenting, international cuisine