"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelinde View Post
Addie,

Every time I see the TX Rangers play the Boston Red Sox, I'm so amazed at how nice the Boston Fans are.

I really would love to see the Green Monster in person one day and watch some totally excellent baseball. Any game at Fenway would be a good game, really.

I'm going to the Red Sox game today!! Day game. Beautiful sunny weather. Im psyched!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Mae, if you plan on going to Fenway, start saving now. It's the most expensive ticket and the park with the most expensive beers.

Yeah. Its been that way for forever.

I bring in food and I have known my beer vendor for 25 years. She slips me a few for free.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I got it :-)
I am a bit slower these days.

And Maelinde, should you ever make it Fenway Park, you can get your very own Green Monster. It is a stuffed toy and comes in different sizes.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Yes but it's a huge planet out there . If we limit it just to eating then I probably wouldn't have to move off my beautiful small island so size doesn't matter :-)

The point is experiencing not only the cuisine but the culture in a different country .Getting out, being curious . That's how countries were found after all , it's how we evolve , we explore, we are a curious species thankfully .
I can't afford to travel abroad and Shrek is no longer healthy enough to attempt it. But, I can afford cookbooks (Google helps, too) and ingredients. I travel in my cooking, soaking up culture in the foods cooked and served around the world, I don't have to leave my kitchen.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Yeah. Its been that way for forever.

I bring in food and I have known my beer vendor for 25 years. She slips me a few for free.
Enjoy the game. Looks like a great day for baseball.

I'll be watching on TV.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I can't afford to travel abroad and Shrek is no longer healthy enough to attempt it. But, I can afford cookbooks (Google helps, too) and ingredients. I travel in my cooking, soaking up culture in the foods cooked and served around the world, I don't have to leave my kitchen.
Same here. I did all my traveling when I was young. I worked in the travel industry and lived out of a suitcase for 30+ days at a time. No need to travel, I have cookbooks from around the world. Right now, I'm enjoying trying some African recipes (since I've found a couple of markets that sell the spice blends and ingredients). Other than Africa, cooking lately has taken me to Cuba, Mexico, and Hakka (China).
Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Mae, if you plan on going to Fenway, start saving now. It's the most expensive ticket and the park with the most expensive beers.
Plans aren't for a few years yet, so I'll start saving now. I guess the pricey cost is due to the history of the park. I can understand that. I can do without a beer at a game if need be, but nothing beats watching a live game with a beer in one hand and a ball park dog in the other.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So true! One of the reasons why the fans from Boston are behaving themselves is that they are older and have the money. Younger fans can't afford the cost of supporting the team and travelling to other parks.

So you have the middle age fans at the park. They aren't as prone as the younger set to being rowdy. Instead of going to the park, they buy the Red Fox clothing to show their support. Jerseys, hats, etc. While the older folks are at the park, the younger ones are in a sports bar watching the game and cheering for them. Also Boston is not as rowdy city. You don't hear of Boston having riots. And Boston is a city of young college kids who can't afford to get into trouble by acting up. If their college gets wind of them raising hell, they can be/are facing expulsion from their college. So then they have to face their parents who are supporting them. The only time you may hear of us making a loud noise is when it comes to the Yankees in New York. Yet at the same time we have given a Yankee player a standing ovation at Fenway or even at their park if the player has accomplished or set a new record. We recognize a personal accomplishment and appreciate it. So if a Ranger hit a grand slam, we would give that player a standing ovation even in their own park.
We're very much like that, too. I was raised to cheer good baseball, regardless of team. I very rarely boo anyone unless it is deserved - fight breaking out, intentionally bad umpire calls, etc.

We also limit ourselves to 1 beer at the game because we want to remember how the game went. I've been known to applaud the Red Sox on many occasions - especially against the Yankees. No love for the Yankees in Texas either.

I also love how each ball park has their own spin on food. Rumor has it that Nachos were invented at the old Rangers ball park in Arlington. I've gotten some of the best BBQ at Globe Life Park (the "new" Rangers ball park). The BBQ turkey sandwich was outstanding. Expensive, but outstanding.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'm going to the Red Sox game today!! Day game. Beautiful sunny weather. Im psyched!

Go Red Sox! Hope they win.

Rangers were destroyed by the Angels 10-1 today. This is a rebuilding year... <sigh>

Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And Maelinde, should you ever make it Fenway Park, you can get your very own Green Monster. It is a stuffed toy and comes in different sizes.
How cool is that? My bucket list is to get to as many ball parks as I possibly can. I was raised around loving baseball. I don't know any other ways to spend time this time of year. Unless you count Science Fiction conventions and Renaissance Faires.
(Did I just out myself as a nerd??? )

Tags
cultures, experimenting, international cuisine