"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I don't really plan to turn up in the likes of Australia looking at some deserts , I have seen a bit of desert in Peru and I think they all look the same . I would probably look for populated areas which look interesting and a bit lively .
I tend to go for populated areas as well. But, I am flabbergasted at the comment that desserts would all look the same. That's like saying that mountains all look the same. I grew up near the Mojave desert in California. It's got some amazing flora and fauna.

If you are ever anywhere in the US near desert, do yourself a favour and find a short tour or get a local to show you. Check out this Google images search:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=US+de...ert+vegetation

Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Amazing trips Souschef!!! Your wedding venue in Greece is just stunning .
Aren't they! I sat and read them from start to finish and didn't stop.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I tend to go for populated areas as well. But, I am flabbergasted at the comment that desserts would all look the same. That's like saying that mountains all look the same. I grew up near the Mojave desert in California. It's got some amazing flora and fauna.

If you are ever anywhere in the US near desert, do yourself a favour and find a short tour or get a local to show you. Check out this Google images search:

How did images of Africa get in there? And when you stand next to a saguaro and next to a ground cactus, you wonder how can they be in the same family.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How did images of Africa get in there? And when you stand next to a saguaro and next to a ground cactus, you wonder how can they be in the same family.
Google is automated. I searched for "US desert vegetation". That's what the first images showed. There were a lot of "first images". The one picture I found from the Sahara did qualify for the "desert vegetation" part of the search. The further along the search you go, the more extra stuff gets included in the results.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Google is automated. I searched for "US desert vegetation". That's what the first images showed. There were a lot of "first images". The one picture I found from the Sahara did qualify for the "desert vegetation" part of the search. The further along the search you go, the more extra stuff gets included in the results.
I started to laugh. Okay kids. I want you to find some photos of our dessert land out west and make a booklet. Imagine some kid using those photos for a geography lesson. Explain that to the teacher.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I started to laugh. Okay kids. I want you to find some photos of our dessert land out west and make a booklet. Imagine some kid using those photos for a geography lesson. Explain that to the teacher.
Well, it would be pretty poor research not to look at the individual pictures and see where they are from. I assume a booklet of pictures would be more useful if there are descriptions of the pix.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #87
Head Chef

Quote:

Yeah... or check out southern Utah - Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon. Monument Valley in Arizona. Colorado National Monument in western Colorado. Some truly fantastic scenery.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #88
Head Chef

Quote:

Thanks Tax and I did look at the pics which indeed are beautiful but I don't think deserts are my thing, I can appreciate the beauty I just wouldn't choose to spend time there . You were right they were very different to the Nazca desert I saw in Peru. However that was actually fascinating to see in real life because of the Inca drawings ( the Nazca Lines ) which can only be seen clearly from the sky . I was glad I did that trip , incredible experience .
Old 04-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

GQ, yeah, a city park with a big section of desert flora would be more my speed.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #90
Executive Chef

Quote:
We used the Klimt exhibition to show visitors around the city and have a cultural weekend , so we did the Art Gallery , Museum, maritime history, ferries , good restaurants etc but we did also throw in a visit to John Lennons house as most people are quite interested . I think a few people did like them I was too young myself .

You could always go into business doing whistle top tours of the British Isles for those who aren't interested in details . Just point to the North and shout Bagpipes, At Liverpool shout Beatles (muttering utter breath never liked them myself) , Wave your arms a lot around in the middle and shout Hills , more hills, leeks , daffodils somewhere , then point to the South and shout Big Ben .

I think there is a gap in the travel industry market you could clean up .
It sounds like the apocryphal tale of the Americans doing Europe in a week

We had a guide like that in Greece once. This is the Acropolis, that's the Parthenon. Follow me to the bus to take us to see the guards at the parliament building (we didn't stop. She just waved vaguely at the window of the bus!)

Tags
cultures, experimenting, international cuisine